Air Conditioning

I have an 05 HD. When the AC is on, I can hear this chirpping noise, seems to be when the compressor cycles. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!! I just went on a 1500 mile trip, and I was about ready to stop and beat it with a bat or something, it is VERY annoying. Dealer said that there is a ASI bulletin, but there is no TSB. The ASI says not to replace parts. They know they have problem, but don't know the fix. The ASI bulletin is dated 10/04. SEEMS THOUGH THEY WOULD HAVE A FIX BY NOW!! Goes along with my tether strap on my gas cap. They know they have a problem, but can't seem to get it fixed.

Anyway, Customer service didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and they don't have access to the ASI bulletins apparently. I'll tell you one thing, this will be fixed, or they can buy it back or get me another truck. I cannot tolerate that noise. Also, the A/C doesn't seem to cool that well either, yeah, it was hot, but at road speed, I would think it should be more than sufficient. I had to run the fan on 2 or 3 to be comfortable. WEIRD. My 00' 2500 never had ANY of the issues this 05 has got, what gives?

Oh well, enough ranting and raving, just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

THANKS!

I have an 05 HD. When the AC is on, I can hear this chirpping noise, seems to be when the compressor cycles. DRIVES ME CRAZY!!!!!! I just went on a 1500 mile trip, and I was about ready to stop and beat it with a bat or something, it is VERY annoying. Dealer said that there is a ASI bulletin, but there is no TSB. The ASI says not to replace parts. They know they have problem, but don't know the fix. The ASI bulletin is dated 10/04. SEEMS THOUGH THEY WOULD HAVE A FIX BY NOW!!  Goes along with my tether strap on my gas cap. They know they have a problem, but can't seem to get it fixed.

Anyway, Customer service didn't have a clue what I was talking about, and they don't have access to the ASI bulletins apparently. I'll tell you one thing, this will be fixed, or they can buy it back or get me another truck. I cannot tolerate that noise. Also, the A/C doesn't seem to cool that well either, yeah, it was hot, but at road speed, I would think it should be more than sufficient. I had to run the fan on 2 or 3 to be comfortable. WEIRD.  My 00' 2500 never had ANY of the issues this 05 has got, what gives?

Oh well, enough ranting and raving, just wondered if anyone else had this issue.

THANKS!

I have a 05 2500HD Ext. Cab 6.0L built probably around 10/04. AC has no problem keeping it cool--even cold--inside driving in 95 degree heat with full sun. And my truck's charcoal gray, much darker (and more heat absorbing) than yours.

Sliders on full cool, fan on 2. No chirping either. Sounds like it's working just as well as your '00.

You should replace the belt and see if it fixes the problem.

Could your truck have sat on the lot for multiple months? I think I read somewhere about the lubricant settling out of the refrigerant in trucks sitting on the lot, and there was a procedure for reactivating the AC, might have been a TSB. If that happened and your dealer just fired it up and gave it to you (without following the procedure), it might have damaged something in the AC compressor or evaporator, causing higher pressures and more drag on the belt, causing the chirp.

I have an '03 doing the same thing. I had the hood open and noticed the cluth on the compressor was making the noise (this after I paid $100+ for a new belt). I have to drop it off again tonight since the delaer could not get it to duplicate the problem when I had it in there last.

Yesterday the A/C did not work very well, so I think the problem might be easier to diagnose.

What is the ASI bulliten?

-Wardster

Thanks for the responses guys. The ASI is Advance Service Information. The bulletin number is 1554238. Dated Oct. 8th, 2004.

The first sentence is funny! "High Pitched Tone Heard Inside Vehicle When A/C Compressor is Engaged (Fix Not Available Yet)" d**n Nice!!!

Further down it states: "DO NOT replace any air conditiong system components. Replacing components will not correct this condition. The noise is not an indication of an A/C system failure".

It affects 03-05 Caddy's, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, GMC's and H2's.

Sure is funny how it affects so many vehicles and there isn't a fix yet. Again, my point about GM. It must be a small percentage, or there would probably be a fix by now. I stopped by the dealer again today, they made an RO and will call technical assistance, but they didn't think anything would come of it. WE"LL SEE.

As for setting around, it was made in 9/04 and I bought it in 12/04. Don't know if that is long enough or not, but thanks for the tip anyway!

I'll keep you guys updated, and thanks again.

I bought an 04 2500HD in 2/05 and because I live in Vermont (not exactly a hot climate) I didn't use the AC until recently. I don't have any noise but there is a very nasty smell that comes out of the AC when I turn it on. Has anyone experienced that? Cure?

Thanks,

Tom

It's called mildew and for some reason it is fairly common on there R134a systems. Never had the problem before with the R-12 systems.

You can buy over the counter fungicides that you spray in to kill it, you can also make sure the evaporator drain is not plugged.

You can keep it from happening by turning off the compressor a mile or so from your destination and let the fan run to dry out the evap. Then it shouldn't smell on next use.

DEWFPO

Well, I took my truck to the dealer, they confirmed my "annoying" noise. I talked with Customer Service after that. They informed that the bulletin I mentioned is basically it. There is no fix for it at this time. There MIGHT be a fix at the end of summer or early fall. I won't go in to the whole conversation here, but looks like they are going to get me another truck that doesn't make noise, seeing they dont' have a fix for mine yet. I'll keep you guys updated. Of all the guys I know that have 04-05 trucks, none of theirs have this noise. Figures, why me?? :seeya:

Goes along with my tether strap on my gas cap. They know they have a problem, but can't seem to get it fixed.THANKS!

I was beginning to think I was the only one to be annoyed by this. :seeya: Have you approached a delaer about this problem? I know my '03 1500 didn't have this problem :chevy: . It's the little things like this that really annoy me about vehicles. Hope the fix for your chirping comes quickly!!

Now that you mention it, my 1-month old '05 2500 HD 4x4 also has a very annoying whine/chirping sound coming from the AC. It's worst on the passenger side though. It's weird, because otherwise the AC words really well. Thanks for the info. At least I know I'm not the only one either.

Any of you guys have problems with the seat back cushions making strange crunching sounds when you lean back or simply move around to get comfortable?? That's another little annoyance in my otherwise great truck. Aside from that, the truck is rock solid. An improvement over my Toyota Tacoma.

Mark

Goes along with my tether strap on my gas cap. They know they have a problem, but can't seem to get it fixed.THANKS!

I was beginning to think I was the only one to be annoyed by this. :thumbs: Have you approached a delaer about this problem? I know my '03 1500 didn't have this problem :loser: . It's the little things like this that really annoy me about vehicles. Hope the fix for your chirping comes quickly!!

Yes, I have approached the dealer and Customer service on the gas cap strap. They had a bulletin out on the 04's stating that the problem would be corrected by the 05 model year. Guess what, it hasn't happened yet.

Will hear from GM next Wed on the Chirrping thing. It really drives me crazy. Hope they take care of me.

My A/C doesn't make any noise and can send you into hypothermia real quick if you are careful.

But its funny you mentioned the seat back cushion. My truck does it and my 2002 Cadillac Escalade did the exact same thing. They both only seemed to do it once when you first sat down and moved a little to get comfortable, but wouldn't do it again until you got out and back in again.

I have a question about the gas cap problem? What is it? My gas cap and strap don't cause me any problems at all.

I have a question about the gas cap problem? What is it? My gas cap and strap don't cause me any problems at all.

I would also like to know about this problem??? Mine seems fine....

Also someone mentioned the drain on the evaporator on the AC... where is this located?? I also get that mildew smell, and I would like to check the drain.

Thanks

Lou

Easy way to check the drain is to just look for a puddle of water when you come to stop after running your A/C. No puddle or very small puddle drain is more than likely plugged. Normal to big size puddle drain is working normally.

Easy way to check the drain is to just look for a puddle of water when you come to stop after running your A/C.  No puddle or very small puddle drain is more than likely plugged.  Normal to big size puddle drain is working normally.

Only if you live in a humid climate..... In a dry climate like most of the west, there will be no dripping coming from the A/C evaporator.

DEWFPO

Easy way to check the drain is to just look for a puddle of water when you come to stop after running your A/C.  No puddle or very small puddle drain is more than likely plugged.  Normal to big size puddle drain is working normally.

If you live in Illinois this summer it will be about the size of Lake Michigan (roughly speaking) :cheers:

Archived