Antenna Delete Mod

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Call me stupid here... but WHY would one want to delete the antenna? It isn't even visible in most situations... Reception is gonna suck with the antenna horizontal. There's a reason they are verticlaI... It's because that's how they receive radio signals.

it just doing something to the truck for the sake of doing something to the truck? What am I missing?

I removed mine for three reasons:

1. I think it looks much nicer without the antenna.

2. I hate having to get out and take it off when I go through the wash.

3. I live in a suburban area so I don't notice any change in reception.

That's it for me.

That's cool. I wasn't making fun. I guess I just never considered my antenna as an appearance item. They just disappear when I see a vehicle. BUT THANKS GUYS... Now I'm gonna see em everywhere! :lol:

Hey y'all,
. I was always under the impression that the wire wrapped around the antenna was for remote reception....I.E. Locks, starter an Lord only knows what else :lol:

I'd like to know if any of that, is affected, by placing the antenna in that position.

Such as, Has the range at which you can acess your doors been reduced?

All I've read so far is, concern about sounds.........

Steve

Hey y'all,
. I was always under the impression that the wire wrapped around the antenna was for remote reception....I.E. Locks, starter an Lord only knows what else :lol:

I'd like to know if any of that, is affected, by placing the antenna in that position.

Steve

I always thought the wire wrapped around the antenna was to reduce wind noise when driving at highway speed. I'm really curious now. Does anybody know for sure?

I've got leftovers! I have two GMT800 Escalade cowl pieces for the antenna delete mod. I do not need them, both are new. Here's a link to the For Sale Posting. You'll find more details there.

Daddy

Both have been sold. Thanks, guys.

• 1 month later...
Call me stupid here... but WHY would one want to delete the antenna? It isn't even visible in most situations... Reception is gonna suck with the antenna horizontal. There's a reason they are verticlaI... It's because that's how they receive radio signals.

it just doing something to the truck for the sake of doing something to the truck? What am I missing?

FM signals (for the most part) have a circular polarization, so the antenna can be orientated in any direction with equal clarity. Of course if you put it under your hood you may not get quite as good reception if it were out in the open air, but it shouldn't make too big of a difference. You may lose some AM reception, though.

Plus, antenna-less looks good.

..u lose AM reception?!?!? Man... good buy radio disney... lol :banghead:

• 6 months later...
Hey y'all,
. I was always under the impression that the wire wrapped around the antenna was for remote reception....I.E. Locks, starter an Lord only knows what else :rolleyes:

Steve

I always thought the wire wrapped around the antenna was to reduce wind noise when driving at highway speed. I'm really curious now. Does anybody know for sure?

that wire is for wind noise and that is it Ford has had them for years put one on with out that wire and it will drive u nuts

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
I was always under the impression that the wire wrapped around the antenna was for remote reception....I.E. Locks, starter an Lord only knows what else :lol:

Steve

I thought the wire wrapped around was for some other signal also. But I ran into the engineer that worked on the antenna for the '02 Jeep Liberty when I work on that vehicle's launch. He said it's purely there to reduce wind noise. AND, get this, It's not a wire wrapped around the antenna. They take an antenna and grind off material and leave the "wire" part on. IT'S ALL ONE PIECE! I thought that was interesting (ok, so I thought that was interesting, so I'm a geek. lol).

Archived