6.2l Mpg Thread

Thought I'd post up results from my first fill. I didn't check mileage on the first tank since the dealer filled it and didn't reset the trip meter.

For reference this is a 2010 2wd Sierra Denali with the 6.2L and 3.42 rear gear. I also drive it very conservatively. My '00 5.3L 2wd ext. cab Silverado w/145k on it typically gets 18 mpg mixed driving and I have gotten over 20MPG with it with all interstate with my driving habits.

First tank with the 6.2L yielded 16.6 MPG hand calculated. That was mixed driving.

Overall I'm pleased with the mileage at the moment. It is a much nicer, heavier truck being it is a crew cab. I think after it gets broken in maybe the mileage will go up a little. I suspect it wouldn't take much spirited driving with the 6.2L and the mileage would drop down to low teens. With more interstate I feel like I might get up closer to 18 MPG.

John

when my truck was stock i got almost 19mpg highway on a long trip keeping the speed 70-75. Around town i was getting a cool 16mpg.

NOW, with my bigger/heavier/more aggressive tires im getting 13 town and can almost squeak out 16 highway if i try.. but normally im in the 15-15.25 range.

I drive normally; don't slam the gas and don't feather the throttle.

Edit: AWD Crew Cab 3.42s

WOW, the most I have ever mustered out of my 99 5.3 2wd 3.42 extsb has ever got on the interstate is about 14-16.......

Jbo

It is odd how they can vary so much. Driving habits have a lot to do with it. I should add my '00 does have the 3.42 rear as well.

WOW, the most I have ever mustered out of my 99 5.3 2wd 3.42 extsb has ever got on the interstate is about 14-16.......

Jbo

That is odd. My 99 2wd 5.3/3.42 always averaged 20 to 21 highway, and the 08 4wd (below) has averaged ~20 highway on every long trip (except when towing). All 70 to 80 mph.

Speaking of which, I just got back from towing the (7k lb) camper to Destin, FL. Ran 60 to 65 mph (sometimes found myself faster). Averaged 10.7 mpg round trip... and that's with quite a few "2nd gear" hills @ 65 mph and trying to accelerate uphill while merging into hwy traffic. All in 3rd (didn't use 4th). Transmission temps ran right at ambient +100F (i.e., 90 ambient would be 180 to 200, depending on hills).

Edit: Just realized this has nothing to do w/ the thread topic (6.2 mpg)... :lol:

13.8 my truck is still new, about 1300mi or so, on 92-93 octane all 25-45mph single lane multiple traffic signal roads with PLENTY of bumper to bumper. 18.8mpg @67mph & as little as 15.5 @ 80mph.. that's a 45 mile run on the garden state pkwy, very hilly, not flat

13.8 my truck is still new, about 1300mi or so, on 92-93 octane all 25-45mph single lane multiple traffic signal roads with PLENTY of bumper to bumper. 18.8mpg @67mph & as little as 15.5 @ 80mph.. that's a 45 mile run on the garden state pkwy, very hilly, not flat

Not meaning to highjack the thread, but I was just up your way 3 weeks ago fishing a tournament out of Highlands, NJ at Bahr's. My BIL used to be stationed in the Army near there. We were going to be back up this weekend, but decided to fish a tournament near here (SC) this weekend. The guys we were fishing with up there were back though, and they ran down to the Toms River area to fish. Most all the stripers had moved down the coast.

Nice area up there. I had passed through several times on I-95, and even been up on business to NYC and Secaucas, NJ a few times, but didn't realize how pretty the area was once you got outside the commercialized areas. I'm looking forward to getting back up that way again, and plan to do the trip more your direction up the Jersey Coast from Cape May when we go back this fall for a tournament there.

16.6, your not driving it like it was meant to then :lol:

I have been getting 11-13 on E85 @ 2.19 a gallon :) .

The only honest guy on here. Why does everyone claim to get these outrageous mileage figures? These things weigh over 5000 pounds and have the aero of a milk crate. Not to mention 400 HP. I get 13.1. And if you don't drive these aggressively, why did you buy it? :):)

The 11-13 is 75% city driving. Best I have seen so far was 16.1 and 15.4 about 70% highway driving and with premium (not E85).

16.6, your not driving it like it was meant to then :lol:

I have been getting 11-13 on E85 @ 2.19 a gallon :) .

The only honest guy on here. Why does everyone claim to get these outrageous mileage figures? These things weigh over 5000 pounds and have the aero of a milk crate. Not to mention 400 HP. I get 13.1. And if you don't drive these aggressively, why did you buy it? :):)

Why should you drive it aggressively? I drive mine normally and I bought it because its a truck and I haul things with it and use the 4wd. If I want to hot rod something Ill drive my Camaro. Im glad the 6.2 isn't giving out to bad of mileage. I only average 16.8 with my 5.3. Even my last truck with the 5.3 only got at best an average of 15.3

I am waiting for that "I get 24 MPG average out of my 2010 6.2" post. :)

i think you are going to be waiting for a few years... the best i saw on my 6.2 4wd, is 21 and that was all hwy driving and i had to refrain from driving it like i normally do.( it was completely stock then).. what made the biggest change in mine was when i put in the 160 tstat... I thought i could balance it out with a good tune.. needless to say i have not seen 21 ever again.. but then again, i cant keep toes from tickling the injectors... :)

for some real time driving....hwy/city mix.. i usually average about 14-16.... once again,IF AND ONLY IF i keep my foot out of the intake...

16.6, your not driving it like it was meant to then :)

I have been getting 11-13 on E85 @ 2.19 a gallon :flag: .

I didn't buy my truck to drive aggressively 100% of the time. Drive normally and you'll get better gas mileage :lol:

Thus, our "claims" aren't outrageous. Driving styles affect MPG the most. I'm glad that my modified truck gets better gas mileage than your stock truck... and i don't granny it, i just drive it normally :flag:

Archived