Heavy Duty Owners Without A Purpose

I know exactly how you feel..i know to people for example one his daddy owns the company and he drives around an 04 silverado 2500hd duramax going on estimates, another guy owns a local hardware store that was handed down to him and has an 09 cummins diesel truck and just carries himself back and forth to the store a 10 min ride daily..probably doing damage to the diesel driving it the way he does... but anyway.. yea these guys have more money than brains and should just be in a 1500 denali or something!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't haul/tow a lot, but I have used it for what it was designed for. I've pulled cars, hauled pallets of block, etc. I was going to get a 1500 reg cab/long bed, but in my area, if you could even find a 5.3 model, it was the same price as a 2500. I figured why not get more truck for the same price? 6.0/6l90e/better rear/etc. Can't go wrong imo.

I was looking at GMC online and after you move up from a 1500 to a 2500 you spend a grand more and get a 3500!!! So why go down size. So it rides a little ruff, no big deal when you hit those big pot holes you will just bounce over them instead of getting stuck in them. I pull some type of trailer almost every week may not be loaded but it is hooked to truck, so I guess that I do use mine. One thing about out trucks if other people don't look most of them cant tell the difference between any of the GM trucks, but Fords are different so you can just look at them and tell if it is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton. Guys at my work who are not into trucks did not know for 5 years that my truck was a 2500 they thought that it was 4 wheel drive. But I got stuck in snow (don't ask) and called one of the guys and he ask me why I did not put it into 4 wheel drive and when I told him it was only 2 wheel drive he asked me how I got to some of the places that I went with only 2 wheel drive, he has a 4 wheel drive Toy. :D

i agree 100% about that reasoning for 1500 and 2500.. ive always liked/felt better in a 2500 even when i didnt need it.

my point was the diesel option.. if all there hauling is there fat asses back and forth to work.. the should have just gotten a nice gas HD

This thread is kind of funny. But anyway, I bought a Dodge 3/4 diesel 4x4 crew cab new back in '05, I was 25 Y/O rented a room from a friend and was making good money for my age. I also didn't have anything to tow, but soon got me a lift, shocks, programmer, wheels & tires and was driving my dream truck. For me it was the fact I could drive a faster truck than a Hemi 1500 after I got a programmer and some upgrades, get better milage than a V6 1/2 ton, and retain my resale and drive something fun.

Kind of like a guy with a ZR-1 Vette, Porsche, Viper etc... you don't need a car like that, and they guzzle fuel and can only carry one other person etc...... but if a guy can afford it who cares.

I also look at things like this deeper than most, if that businessman didn't buy that new $60K King Ranch diesel, most of you/us/them etc... could not buy our trucks used if they wern't or nolonger availible to buy new. I see it as that guy is helping our economy by putting factory workers back to work, keeping cash in Fords pocket to make new trucks etc..

Or another example would it bother you to drive around and see one person living in a 10,000 sq/ft mansion instead of an entire family? who cares it's there money and if they've got it to spend so be it.

I know two guys who have Ram 2500's with Cummins in them, and they hardly ever leave the driveway let alone haul or tow anything. There both lifted 8 inches, and the one guy claims to have 80 grand in his and thinks it could beat a Corvette Z06. I think its sad that they hardly ever use them, but hey its there money. Still kinda fun to laugh at them once in a while though! :D

I have a an 01 dually the main reason i got i was the price. i bought it in 05 for 13,995. much cheaper than the 2500 and the same as the 1500. i do haul cars and have hauled a couple fifth wheel trailers.

i do think there are a lot of people that buy trucks just to have the beds sit empty or at most carry the groceries.

My only problem is the fact that pickups are $50K now. The high demand for HD's (especially diesels) have driven the price of the pickups up so high that the people that acutally need them almost can't afford em anymore. Used to be a few thousand over a gas engine for a diesel. Now it's $10K by the time you figure sales tax, financing, etc.

Demand hasn't helped cost, but it HAS helped performance/capability of the diesel. Diesels got quieter and more powerful due to demand. As far as I'm concerned, the thing making oil-burners so much more expensive is the government's emissions standards. Thing GM or Ford would put a cow-piss tank on a 2011 diesel just cuz they thought it was fun? How about DPF's or converters? Price any of this crap and then divide by 4 and that's probably close to what the OEM pays for the parts....not the engineering of the parts or what it took to make sure it worked and met the gov'ts requirements. My '03 D-max has none of this crap. Including the price for the Allison trans (required with the D-max) it was about a $5000 option to get the D-max over the base 6.0L gasser IIRC. Obviously it was worth it to me at the time (especially since at the time, fuel was 10% less than gasoline), but now ultra-low sulpher fuel mandated by the gov't has ruined that, too. (not that the extra refining is that much more expensive, but the oil companies have used it as an excuse to raise diesel prices above that of gasoline to make more money.)

If I were buying a 2011 HD today, I'd WANT a diesel really bad, but for the $8k extra coupled with the higher diesel fuel prices, I just don't tow often enough to justify the extra cost.

My only problem is the fact that pickups are $50K now. The high demand for HD's (especially diesels) have driven the price of the pickups up so high that the people that acutally need them almost can't afford em anymore. Used to be a few thousand over a gas engine for a diesel. Now it's $10K by the time you figure sales tax, financing, etc.

Demand hasn't helped cost, but it HAS helped performance/capability of the diesel. Diesels got quieter and more powerful due to demand. As far as I'm concerned, the thing making oil-burners so much more expensive is the government's emissions standards. Thing GM or Ford would put a cow-piss tank on a 2011 diesel just cuz they thought it was fun? How about DPF's or converters? Price any of this crap and then divide by 4 and that's probably close to what the OEM pays for the parts....not the engineering of the parts or what it took to make sure it worked and met the gov'ts requirements. My '03 D-max has none of this crap. Including the price for the Allison trans (required with the D-max) it was about a $5000 option to get the D-max over the base 6.0L gasser IIRC. Obviously it was worth it to me at the time (especially since at the time, fuel was 10% less than gasoline), but now ultra-low sulpher fuel mandated by the gov't has ruined that, too. (not that the extra refining is that much more expensive, but the oil companies have used it as an excuse to raise diesel prices above that of gasoline to make more money.)

If I were buying a 2011 HD today, I'd WANT a diesel really bad, but for the $8k extra coupled with the higher diesel fuel prices, I just don't tow often enough to justify the extra cost.

Yeah I would definately agree performance has really risen due to the demand and that is a good thing. I just wonder what's the tipping point? I remember back about 15 years ago when a new BB 2500 was like $30K and I thought, my god pickups are getting expensive. Now that wouldn't even buy a new WT! Of course capability and comfort is way better than those older ones and inflation is driving the cost of everything way up. The whole "piss tank" thing scares me too. I mean I had never heard of that until just this past year. I'm sure Europe has had cars like this, but it's new to me. I can't help but think the more complicated you make things coupled with brand new technology, is probably a recipe for problems. Hope I'm wrong though. I've said this many times, I don't see why GM just doesn't come out with a 7.0L gasser with 400 hp/400 tq that would be an in-between of the 6.0 and the 8.1. I mean the 6.0 is an outstanding engine, but is getting long in the tooth. Ford has a new V8 and Dodge has really up the power on the 5.7.

I've said this many times, I don't see why GM just doesn't come out with a 7.0L gasser with 400 hp/400 tq that would be an in-between of the 6.0 and the 8.1. I mean the 6.0 is an outstanding engine, but is getting long in the tooth. Ford has a new V8 and Dodge has really up the power on the 5.7.

I'm hoping for a smaller (than 7.0L) displacement that's boosted somehow. With Ford doing a ~400hp turbo V6 in the F150 that is 'supposed' to get good fuel econ for a truck, I think the writing is on the wall for smaller, more efficient motors with more HP/Liter and the easiest way to do this is with boost.

I couldn't live until I bought a brand-new Chevy 2500 LT-3 Crew Cab/Short Bed Duramax.Allison in 2006. The LBZ engine was wonderful and the Allison 1000 transmission was fabulous. And in four years, I put a whopping 5,800 miles on that gorgeous truck.

I'm an old fart and just getting in the truck was a job for me (youngsters can laugh now, but sooner or later you'll all be in my condition). Also, in reading all of the horror stories all over the internet about the diesel fuel situation, I worried about clogging that silly $100 fuel filter every time I fueled up. The ride was also abysmal.

Frankly, diesel was such a pain in the ass that I would not suggest it for anyone except folks who DO TOW, and tow a lot.

I'm back in a Chevy 1500 CC/SB Z-71 LTZ gas rig now and could not be happier.

To each his own, I guess, but I'll take the lower truck that is easy to handle.

My 2010 rig with the 5.3 liter engine and the 5-speed tranny actually gets better fuel mileage than my diesel ever got. That and the fuel is fully fifty-cents per gallon less. Hey, I'm happy.

My new gas rig is now precisely six-months old and I've already put 3,000 miles on her .... that is over half of what I put on the Duramax in FOUR YEARS.

Do I love my new Z-71 LTZ? You bet your butt I do. :lol::lol::(

Steve

steve,i have a 1999 sierra z-71 with a 5.3. w/automatic i have 390,000 miles on it,so much for diesel longevity,enjoy your truck! and i'll wait till they change the style again before i buy another,whats with the fenders,did they hire someone from nissan to design these trucks?!

whats with the fenders,did they hire someone from nissan to design these trucks?!

No the ex-Nissan guys designed the front bumper on the Chevs :lol: . The 2011 HD bumper is a big improvement.

Yeah I would definately agree performance has really risen due to the demand and that is a good thing. I just wonder what's the tipping point? I remember back about 15 years ago when a new BB 2500 was like $30K and I thought, my god pickups are getting expensive. Now that wouldn't even buy a new WT! Of course capability and comfort is way better than those older ones and inflation is driving the cost of everything way up. The whole "piss tank" thing scares me too. I mean I had never heard of that until just this past year. I'm sure Europe has had cars like this, but it's new to me. I can't help but think the more complicated you make things coupled with brand new technology, is probably a recipe for problems. Hope I'm wrong though. I've said this many times, I don't see why GM just doesn't come out with a 7.0L gasser with 400 hp/400 tq that would be an in-between of the 6.0 and the 8.1. I mean the 6.0 is an outstanding engine, but is getting long in the tooth. Ford has a new V8 and Dodge has really up the power on the 5.7.

the 6.0 is getting old and I was/am hoping for a upgrade to this engine soon! in the latest truck trend they compare the HD gas engines and the gm 6.0 still out performs

the new ford gas and is about equal with the dodge

Archived