Heavy Duty Owners Without A Purpose

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The vast majority of my miles are unloaded (probably 98-99%) but every once in a while ill tow a car, rip a stump out of the ground etc. It's also nice to be able to haul pretty much anything. And last but not least is the longevity. I doubt I'd be driving a 300k Saturn.

these questions remind me of grade school.....

i really dont care if someone has a 2500HD and doesnt tow. they wanted it and they bought it. does it make them a poser? only to other HD owners who have a superiority complex and feel threatened by others, like they shouldnt be able to have a HD because they're not "worthy".

the good thing about owning a 2500HD, whether they use it for it or not, is that IF they ever do need it to tow/haul something then they're ready to go.

hell, one reason i was looking at a 2500HD was solely for the purpose of getting a crew cab with a true 6' bed.... us 1500 owners dont have that option.

Well reason i asked was because i was talking to a buddy who owns a construction company and has several 2500's, 3500's - and i was talking to him about considering one just for dependability and resale value etc, but he kinda laughed and said it was stupid reason to own one... since he beats the shit out of his and replaces them every 5 years or so.

in his opinion those ppl are considered "posers", ive met several with the same mindset, and i happen to be slow at work so just wanted to tally the overall opinion of everyone on the forums.

so far everyone doesn't care, and i dont either.. id buy something just because i like, whether or not someone agrees with me.

i don't like it when those random 3/4 or 1 ton owners put you down for driving a half ton calling it not a real truck..i get that alot from ford tards and those guys that say " a real truck dose't have spark plugs" the key reason i'm set on an HD next is the following

1) better durability

2) greater ability

3) less problems( atleast i think :confused: )

i completley agree. i hate when people in 3/4 ton trucks and what not think they are better. pisses me off. im actually someone who needs a 2500 or 3500 but dont have the money for one. as long as its GMT, its good in my book.

I bought an hd with the 6.0, and even tho I don't really tow with it (even tho I do have a boat now) I like the kinda robust nature of the 2500's compared to the 1500's. I do go wheelin' from time to time, and I would rather be more safe than sorry. I do agree that people do buy trucks when they don't need them and this is mosty the reason I think why people complained about they old leaf sprung chevy's poor ride. In my oppinion 1500's should have IFS with the exception of the Z71 which should have at least a dana 44. The 2500 and 3500 trucks should have solid dana 60's standard and IFS optional.

I do agree that people do buy trucks when they don't need them and this is mosty the reason I think why people complained about they old leaf sprung chevy's poor ride.

Heck I worked w/ a guy who complained about the ride of a mid 90s GMT400 3/4 ton. He said you could feel every crack in the street. His next truck was going to be a 1/2 ton like he had bought in the past.

Love owning a 2500HD and use it for it's capability quite a lot but even if i didn't I like it more than my 1500,s i have owned.

My one pet peeve is when i see a nice 2500/3500 and pull up next to them to get a better look and they have 30 inch rims with 1 inch of tread???

I guess the same question could be said for those who own 1500's and really never use it as a truck.

Poeple will buy want they want and, hopefully, can afford.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P:lol::lol:

Do you mean "resent"? :lol:

I'm just punny like that! :confused:

On topic, I took the lady to a musical last night and drove my truck. Don't worry, I hooked up to a 16' flatbed trailer, so no one would judge me. :lol:

Finally, if you're on the engineering team for any truck program, you'd better be a truck owner. Yeah as if the gal that drives to work in an Aveo has any idea.

End of rant.

Couldn't agree more!! I'd go even further to say that you should have to pay for it with your own money (no company provided vehicles!!) and maintain it with your own $. My 2003 2500HD is still a pleasure to drive and tow my 5W with. Aside from a couple minor warranty things back in the day, and one tie-rod end (I was just lazy/busy), every part or fluid that's come off/out or gone on/in it has been by my own hands. After 7+ years, I have some chips and dings that may ruin that streak, though. I'm a hack when it comes to body work and paint!

My one pet peeve is when i see a nice 2500/3500 and pull up next to them to get a better look and they have 30 inch rims with 1 inch of tread???

X2

I see a crew cab short box pull up beside last year. I turned to see if it was a D'max, it was & had set of moronic "bling bling" rims & tires on it.

What are the load ratings on those things? Anything near the factory tires & rims?

Gm now offers 20s as an option on some HD models.

Don't worry about what other people think. Heck, if I could afford it and wanted to buy a bulldozer because let's face it, big construction equipment is cool, I wouldn't let the fact that the construction guys thought I was a poser stop me. If YOU like it and are happy that's what matters.

A little off topic, but somewhat close in a way.... I was shopping today and parked in the handicap spot as normal. Went with my female friend. Keep in mind that I am 6' and about 265 pounds, and she is 4'11" and about 110 pounds. I have had spinal fusion done again in May of this year. We come out, and she is putting the groceries in the truck with me watching. An old guy (and I mean old, had to be mid 80's) comes over and starts asking all kinds of questions about the truck after making the obligatory comment about how I must be good to be able to get the wife to do all the work while I just stand there and watch. He is going all over the truck, wanted to sit in the drivers seat, asks if I will open the tail gate so he can see under the tonneau cover, notices the dual tailpipes and wants to hear it running as well. He is making all these complimentary comments as well. He gets his wife to get out the car (I then find that he is parked in the handicap spot in front of me) and asks if she can sit in the passenger side. I said sure. i have the running boards on mine, and she used them to get in. Turns out she is the reason for the handicap permit and has a hard time getting in and out of vehicles due to her handicap. He asks how much I paid, I told him, and gave him my salesmans card. He is on his way over now to buy, as he put it, his last vehicle.

I doubt he will ever use it for what it was intended either.

Archived