Heavy Duty Owners Without A Purpose

I bought mine because I had a 30ft bumperpull TT but have since sold it. I only tow an 18ft pontoon that weighs less than 2000lbs, so now I guess I am now one of those guys. I personally don't judge people that have trucks whether it is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton on whether they need it. Now the hypocracy. It gets on my nerves to see these people that buy trucks and are afraid to ever take them off of the pavement or use them as a truck. My friend has a tundra and when we were moving a sofa, I alsmost broke my back trying to keep the blanket under it so it wouldn't scratch the inside of his bed. The idea of it getting muddy, oh hell no! Also those H2 and H3 owners that think their 4x4's are for sat night at the country club. ugh! :)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It gets on my nerves to see these people that buy trucks and are afraid to ever take them off of the pavement or use them as a truck. :)

We've called thewm "pavement four wheelers" or "416 fourwheelers". 416 being the area code for Toronto Ontario.

I guess I am one of those guys that doesn't need it too. But then again I see so many more 1500 owners with Quad cab short beds that certainly don't need their trucks. That truck configuration to me just seems to useless and its the main reason I went with the 2500HD. Now I get a quad cab with a regular 6.5 ft bed that I can actually put stuff in and close the tailgate. My ATV wouldnt have fit in that tiny ass 5.5ft thing with the tailgate closed. But heres the thing, myself and im sure many other who drive trucks again fight everyday so that you can own your truck and have opinions about everything that crosses your mind. Topics like these remind me of E Hollywood Story and MTV. People always worrying about what other people do. So I have a big truck that won't ever get full usage that it was designed for? Does that threaten you in some way? Am I not entitled to have what I want because some douchbag thinks his needs are better than mine? I pay my taxes and while paying taxes I work everyday so that you can drive around your holyier-than-thou truck back and forth to or wherever.

I mean since we are on the topic of useless crap and stuff people don't need. What about these 50 ft campers that look like double wide trailers people tow around to go "camping".. I mean I remember when I went camping it was just a tent a few nit noid stuff to help out then whatever you could find. When you take a portable house to the camp ground you arent camping you are just living somewhere else for the weekend.

What about these H2 and H3 hummers that are built on a Tahoe frame that people think are some kind of off-road machines but get stuck when winter rolls in? I mean iv seen it.

Hell, people got around for hundreds of years hoofing it or by horse and trailer. So we really don't 'need' any of the vehicles we drive. We don't need houses or TV's or half the crap we have these days. But we 'want' them because they make life easier and more enjoyable. Just like taking small houses to the camp ground. Its easier, more convenient, helps with the family, makes the experience a little more enjoyable instead of actually roughing it.

What the best part is I think, I bought a truck that exceeds my needs. I may tow or haul something every once in a while but at the end of the day this truck is going to last alot longer since I won't be towing some monstrocity to the campground while I tell all my buddies I am gonna be roughing it this weekend.

I don't really care what people want. If they want a $50K pickup instead of a BMW then more power to them. My only problem is the fact that pickups are $50K now. The high demand for HD's (especially diesels) have driven the price of the pickups up so high that the people that acutally need them almost can't afford em anymore. Used to be a few thousand over a gas engine for a diesel. Now it's $10K by the time you figure sales tax, financing, etc. The people that buy them for the mileage crack me up. You always hear of the 20 mpg diesels but as soon as fuel goes up they are for sale everywhere. But these new diesels are pretty quick and will definately haul anything. I would like to get a new diesel buy my 6.0 has given me 60K trouble free miles and has done everything I've asked it to do. The other gripe I have is how people say you're an idiot to buy an HD with a gas engine. Must be some inferiority complex.

The people that buy them for the mileage crack me up. You always hear of the 20 mpg diesels but as soon as fuel goes up they are for sale everywhere.

I don't think they buy them for mileage at all. Probably more or less to 1 up their neighbours. If they sell the truck because of the price of fuel, they didn't need it in the 1st place.

What about these H2 and H3 hummers that are built on a Tahoe frame that people think are some kind of off-road machines but get stuck when winter rolls in? I mean iv seen it.

I find that hysterical too, but isn't the H2 built on the 2500 frame?

As far as I know the H2 is based on the Tahoe while the H3 on the Colorado...someone please correct me if I´m wrong.

Do I need a truck? Not at all...but thank god I´m able to afford to have more than just one car...and I don´t give a shit what people say especially my neighbours who were jaws droppin´ when they saw me having a sportscar and a truck...

I tow/haul maybe once a year...Hell, I would love to have an HD like the Power Wagon for offroading...I know you can have a Jeep for that...but that´s what makes fun to me...moving a big rig like this through obstacles...

I find that hysterical too, but isn't the H2 built on the 2500 frame?

As far as I know the H2 is based on the Tahoe while the H3 on the Colorado...someone please correct me if I´m wrong.

Do I need a truck? Not at all...but thank god I´m able to afford to have more than just one car...and I don´t give a shit what people say especially my neighbours who were jaws droppin´ when they saw me having a sportscar and a truck...

I tow/haul maybe once a year...Hell, I would love to have an HD like the Power Wagon for offroading...I know you can have a Jeep for that...but that´s what makes fun to me...moving a big rig like this through obstacles...

Its kind of both, its part 2500 and part tahoe.

The H2's final frame assembly is made up of 3 sections: The front uses a modified GM 2500-Series utility frame, the mid-section is all new and is completely boxed, and the rear section uses a modified GM 1500-Series frame which is upgraded for the 8,600 pounds (3,900 kg) gross vehicle weight.

There should be no such thing as luxury work truck A.K.A. Denali HD period!

Why not?

If there are people that can afford them (ie: Ranch owners who use HD's to trailer their very expensive horses), why shouldn't they have the ability to purchase a HD truck with creature comforts? YOU can still buy your bare bones HD work truck :D

I really don't get the premise of a lot of these posts where people say "trucks shouldn't have this" or "trucks shouldn't have that". IMO, trucks should have whatever the buyer wants. If you don't want those options, dont buy them.

jesus if you guys take that much offence to guys buying HD trucks that dont use them, take a ride thru Alberta one weekend....youll see the wifey drivin the big dodge duallie to get groceries. i have buddies that got over 75000 invested into a big lifted diesels and they dont have anything to tow, or take it in the bush. just drive it around town. i have a 1500HD basically the same thing as a non-HD 2500, serves its purpose for me. i got the big mirrors on it, put air bags in the back. i got quads and dirt bikes, next year i might buy a duramax cuz im buyin a boat in the fall. but the truck i got now serves me well enough....i could care less tho about other people. i just laugh at them cuz its such a astronomical waste of money....and pointless to drive a big diesel when it never tows or leaves the pavement.

pic of mine all loaded up at my buddies place ready to go for a ride

post-65833-1287330984_thumb.jpg

jesus if you guys take that much offence to guys buying HD trucks that dont use them, take a ride thru Alberta one weekend....youll see the wifey drivin the big dodge duallie to get groceries. i have buddies that got over 75000 invested into a big lifted diesels and they dont have anything to tow, or take it in the bush. just drive it around town. i have a 1500HD basically the same thing as a non-HD 2500, serves its purpose for me. i got the big mirrors on it, put air bags in the back. i got quads and dirt bikes, next year i might buy a duramax cuz im buyin a boat in the fall. but the truck i got now serves me well enough....i could care less tho about other people. i just laugh at them cuz its such a astronomical waste of money....and pointless to drive a big diesel when it never tows or leaves the pavement.

It's even more pointless to drive a diesel off-road. Those heavy diesels don't mix well with mud.

It's even more pointless to drive a diesel off-road. Those heavy diesels don't mix well with mud.

when i say "big" diesel i mean lifted with big mudders, i wouldnt say big unless it was lifted. cuz they arent any bigger than a gasser. when you have a 6 inch lift with 35's with a winch in the bumper it makes sense to go in the bush with it, or i have another buddy with a 12 inch Rize lift with a 3 inch body lift running 42's...makes sense to use that in the bush too but it wont leave the pavement. im not just talkin about mud, just off-road in general. so pretty much cant use it where i am from, cant go fishing anywhere without hittin a dirt road, or go hunting cant do anything we enjoy really without hittin a dirt road. the guy i know with the 35's on his Duramax is just under $100 000 invested in it, he just bought another older 04' duramax so he could park his other one for the winter. more money than brains is all im sayin....

Have you priced a loaded 1/2 ton crew cab and compared it to the price of a loaded 3/4 ton non diesel truck? Not much difference. If you add the diesel engine that makes a considerable difference. But I had my 2500 HD Sierra SLT until it got totaled in an accident, I bought a 1/2 ton crew cab and the 2 don't compare. I've been driving 3/4 ton trucks for 10 years and an 1/2 ton just doesn't have the solid feeling the 2500 HD did.

I do tow a 5000 lb boat, can I do that with my 1/2 ton? Yes I can, but it's not real confidence inspiring. This truck transfers all the irregularities from the trailer to the truck, the brakes are half of what the 3/4 ton's were. Yes, the ride is better, but the mileage isn't much better than my gas engined 3/4 ton trucks.

I would rather have too much truck and not need it then not have enough truck and need it.

Archived