Heavy Duty Owners Without A Purpose

Ive wondered how do people who have a 2500, 3500 feel about people who have them and dont "use" them or dont have a need for them.

For example a lot of mechanics at my job live in the city and dont tow or haul anything ever, but they love their diesel trucks. Plus I always see business men who drive these around all the time, and i always wonder why they have them.

But how do u guys feel about these people? do u guy seem them as posers or dont mind them at all.

Just curious...

ive considered a 2500 diesel and just for the longevity of the vehicle itself.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah id have to agree the country is loaded with unnecessary diesels but i guess if they can afford the intial price (more expensive), the parts (more expensive), and the fuel ( more expensive) then more power to them. i look at it like this, id rather have a kick ass house and property than an overly expensive truck, its all about values, although it would be nice to have a dmax... :confused:

their is certain things that can appeal to the guy that just wants a truck for 4x4 or a diesel motor...one HDs in theory should last longer, two the diesel motor is a good option, don't forget lack of AFM in HDs lol...i'm going to an 3/4 HD next, do i tow alot? hell no i think they are sexy..

these questions remind me of grade school.....

i really dont care if someone has a 2500HD and doesnt tow. they wanted it and they bought it. does it make them a poser? only to other HD owners who have a superiority complex and feel threatened by others, like they shouldnt be able to have a HD because they're not "worthy".

the good thing about owning a 2500HD, whether they use it for it or not, is that IF they ever do need it to tow/haul something then they're ready to go.

hell, one reason i was looking at a 2500HD was solely for the purpose of getting a crew cab with a true 6' bed.... us 1500 owners dont have that option.

i really dont care if someone has a 2500HD and doesnt tow. they wanted it and they bought it. does it make them a poser? only to other HD owners who have a superiority complex and feel threatened by others, like they shouldnt be able to have a HD because they're not "worthy".

the good thing about owning a 2500HD, whether they use it for it or not, is that IF they ever do need it to tow/haul something then they're ready to go.

hell, one reason i was looking at a 2500HD was solely for the purpose of getting a crew cab with a true 6' bed.... us 1500 owners dont have that option.

Well reason i asked was because i was talking to a buddy who owns a construction company and has several 2500's, 3500's - and i was talking to him about considering one just for dependability and resale value etc, but he kinda laughed and said it was stupid reason to own one... since he beats the shit out of his and replaces them every 5 years or so.

in his opinion those ppl are considered "posers", ive met several with the same mindset, and i happen to be slow at work so just wanted to tally the overall opinion of everyone on the forums.

so far everyone doesn't care, and i dont either.. id buy something just because i like, whether or not someone agrees with me.

Well reason i asked was because i was talking to a buddy who owns a construction company and has several 2500's, 3500's - and i was talking to him about considering one just for dependability and resale value etc, but he kinda laughed and said it was stupid reason to own one... since he beats the shit out of his and replaces them every 5 years or so.

in his opinion those ppl are considered "posers", ive met several with the same mindset, and i happen to be slow at work so just wanted to tally the overall opinion of everyone on the forums.

so far everyone doesn't care, and i dont either.. id buy something just because i like, whether or not someone agrees with me.

i don't like it when those random 3/4 or 1 ton owners put you down for driving a half ton calling it not a real truck..i get that alot from ford tards and those guys that say " a real truck dose't have spark plugs" the key reason i'm set on an HD next is the following

1) better durability

2) greater ability

3) less problems( atleast i think :confused: )

I guess the same question could be said for those who own 1500's and really never use it as a truck.

Poeple will buy want they want and, hopefully, can afford.

For me, I have a 3500HD. Do I need it to tow my 27' travel trailer (7600lbs). Nope....but I will for the fifth wheel soon!

I think it's personal preference. If someone has the extra money to pay for a 2500, then go for it. It's nice to know that you have the power you need if you choose to use it. I know that I used to make fun of my brother for always buying 2500 HD until the day came that I needed to tow a tractor. Guess who I had to call? :confused::lol:

I guess the same question could be said for those who own 1500's and really never use it as a truck.

Hey! I resemble that remark! :P:lol::lol:

I don't haul things that often with mine. I've put 30,000 miles on my truck, and I don't want to guess how many of those were loaded down. I need a truck from time to time, and it is still more cost effective than having a second vehicle for myself. :confused:

Hey! I resemble that remark! :lol::confused::P

Do you mean "resent"? :lol:

I couldn't live until I bought a brand-new Chevy 2500 LT-3 Crew Cab/Short Bed Duramax.Allison in 2006. The LBZ engine was wonderful and the Allison 1000 transmission was fabulous. And in four years, I put a whopping 5,800 miles on that gorgeous truck.

I'm an old fart and just getting in the truck was a job for me (youngsters can laugh now, but sooner or later you'll all be in my condition). Also, in reading all of the horror stories all over the internet about the diesel fuel situation, I worried about clogging that silly $100 fuel filter every time I fueled up. The ride was also abysmal.

Frankly, diesel was such a pain in the ass that I would not suggest it for anyone except folks who DO TOW, and tow a lot.

I'm back in a Chevy 1500 CC/SB Z-71 LTZ gas rig now and could not be happier.

To each his own, I guess, but I'll take the lower truck that is easy to handle.

My 2010 rig with the 5.3 liter engine and the 5-speed tranny actually gets better fuel mileage than my diesel ever got. That and the fuel is fully fifty-cents per gallon less. Hey, I'm happy.

My new gas rig is now precisely six-months old and I've already put 3,000 miles on her .... that is over half of what I put on the Duramax in FOUR YEARS.

Do I love my new Z-71 LTZ? You bet your butt I do. :confused::lol::P

Steve

My family has had trucks since '75 & have used them as trucks. My father's 2 trucks were 3/4 tons (one a reg' cab the other a crew cab).

My feelings about people who buy trucks regardless of wight range that don't need 1 is that they cause GM to spend money on creature comforts & cosmetic items rather than durability/engineering concerns.

When we saw the 1st GMT900 Sierra & Silverado in the plant, there was some personnel from Corporate accompanying the trucks. I asked about the "raincatcher" low point in the Sierra hood? The chap said that they were thinking of offering a hood scoop in the future (a la Toyota?) WTF!!!! these clowns can't even design a proper tailgate cable & they're thinking about some stupid scoop. Mind you the posers that glue those dual scoops on their vehicle's head would be drooling.

Finally, if you're on the engineering team for any truck program, you'd better be a truck owner. Yeah as if the gal that drives to work in an Aveo has any idea.

End of rant.

Archived