Have You Smoked A Hemi 5.7 Today?

mikewood31

guys whats up with these things?

is this dodges attempt to make a 350 ?

are they geared really low or something?

because my 5.3 just leaves them in the dust at stop lites

and mines stock except for the K&N

and if thats the case my 92 sierra with the 5.7 would have really

smoked them right to the gas station

they even have factory dual exhaust on some of them

just don't seem to have much take off and I'm not punching it

too much but they always try to race me for some reason especially the new ones

if I feel like being a dic I just hit my trailer switch and listen to them trying to

pass me :lol:

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This might be an interesting thread. I wanted to buy a 390HP 5.7 Ram but they don't make a 8 ft box extended cab so I stuck with the GMC 5.3L 315 HP. In test driving it seemed like the Ram would leave the GMC in the dust but I don't know the actual 0-60 times.

I can live with the 5.3 in a truck for work duty since I have other vehicles for fun.

the Hemi 5.7L is a 345CI not a 350, and I find it hard to believe you would smoke one, I suspect you are smoking something though..

The Hemi is 390 to your 315 hp, and 490 torque to your 338. There is no way you are smoking them, my guess is they aren't racing because they aren't as stupid as you to be putting everyones life in danger on a public street by trying to show off..

The factory dual exhaust is just for show, as it is on almost any modern vehicle. Exhausts being a restriction toward power is a myth on newer vehicles. And the 5.7 powered Rams will absolutely mop a 5.3, I'm sorry to say.

Also depends on what year Hemi you're talking about... 2007 isn't all that fast. It's quick, but it's not all that everyone makes the "Hemi" out to be. I think its only 320 HP/370 Torque.

The newer Hemi's definitely pack a bit more punch!

I thought even the ones from a few years ago were good for like 345?

I do know that the same engine has HP/TQ ratings all over the map depending on what vehicle it is bolted in to.

According to MotorTrend:

2007 Jeep Commander 5.7L

330 HP @5000

375 ft-lb @4000

2007 Ram 1500 5.7L

345 HP @5400

375 ft-lb @4200

I suspect the difference in the numbers comes from final drive ratios / tires.

the Hemi 5.7L is a 345CI not a 350, and I find it hard to believe you would smoke one, I suspect you are smoking something though..

The Hemi is 390 to your 315 hp, and 490 torque to your 338. There is no way you are smoking them, my guess is they aren't racing because they aren't as stupid as you to be putting everyones life in danger on a public street by trying to show off..

Relax their ranger Dan, I do not street race nor show off I have no desire to waste my gas doing so

I just do not back down and let them try to cut me off when they want my lane and I don't buy into that Hemi torque crap because it is not measured where it counts ,at the rear wheels.not to mention its measured at 5400 rpm to start

don't know about you but I have never had to rev my truck up that hi to get it moving

and the gear ratio can make a big difference I know people that have owned older ones between gas stations

and repair shops they ran fine so don't get your panties in to big of a knot or you'll fall of your high horse!

the OP's truck is a 2005, what was the HP then? 295 or 300?

I use to work at a Dodge/Chevy dealer and live in truck country. Stock for stock I've personally never seen a 5.3 beat a 5.7 Hemi. Close? Yes. Get around them? Only if the Hemi didn't know the 5.3 was racing.

Now, a 6.2 like mine? Bub bye Hemi lover. :lol:

HP figures from the manufacturer are always at the crank. They never quote wheel horsepower.

Yes, I know that. Maybe I wasn't clear..... there's a reason they based the rating on 5000 rpm for the commander and 5400 rpm for the Ram. It could be they just wanted to "inflate" the Ram figures to be more competitive;but why wouldn't they do the same to tout 345hp in the Commander? Thus, my theory is they have to correlate the RPM figure to the vehicle to make it realistic for the application. The final drive ratio in the ram (due to tranny gearing and rear) and available tire sizes probably give them the ability to "rate" the engine at 5400rpm instead of the lower figure of 5000 rpm used for the commander (rear gear for the Commander is 3.73 and the Ram had up to 4.10s).

I just do not back down and let them try to cut me off when they want my lane...

You should. If they can and want to get ahead of you on a public road, let 'em. What difference does it make? Remember the opening scene in Christmas Vacation? Hilarious...

Edit: Found it...

You should. If they can and want to get ahead of you on a public road, let 'em. What difference does it make? Remember the opening scene in Christmas Vacation? Hilarious...

Edit: Found it...

"Eat my road grit liver lips!!!"

Sorry, one of my very fav's. :lol:

Archived