6.2L (L9H) Owners - Get all your questions answered here

I don't see where the 6.2L is getting discontinued.. just moved up to the HD class. They are not going to put the 7.0L in them as originally planned.

EXACTLY what took from it.And its all specutation,someones guessing what might happen,im reffering to the person that wrote the article

• Like 1

So just wanted to chime in here a bit for my own information. I'm sseriouslyconsidering a 6.2L for my next truck, but had a few questions that were a little unclear on the previous posts.

- the HD springs that are referred to...are they the same width or is there just another spring in the pack? I ask because I've noticed on the 3/4 ton pickups the springs are now wider that they were in 2010 or 2011 (not sure when they made the change). I just wonder if my 5.3 Z71 has these HD springs already that are being referred to in the 6.2L versions of the truck. I've always been a bit peaved on the payload capacity....so this interests me.

- I would guess to the HD locker is the same in the 6.2L as it is in the 5.3L Z71.

- Same question with the 9.5" rear axle (same in 5.3L Z71 and 6.2L?)

One easy difference to spot (aside from the motor) it comes with rear disc which my truck (08 5.3L Z71) does not come with.

Comments? Thanks!!!

- I would guess to the HD locker is the same in the 6.2L as it is in the 5.3L Z71.

- Same question with the 9.5" rear axle (same in 5.3L Z71 and 6.2L?)

One easy difference to spot (aside from the motor) it comes with rear disc which my truck (08 5.3L Z71) does not come with.

Comments? Thanks!!!

• edit: I stand corrected. See below

• You'll only find the 9.5" rear end in the earlier Vmax trucks with the 6.0L or the newer 6.2L

• You can have rear disk with the 5.3:L trucks as well as the 6.2L trucks. The only way to spot a 6.2L is the rear straight exit pipe. The 4.8's and 5.3's have a 90 degree bend in the exit.

Edited by Stevens11

NHT (Max trailering package) trucks DO NOT HAVE HD (referring to the HD Silverado and Sierra chassis group) springs. They have a slightly stiffer rate leaf spring pack, then the other 1/2 ton trucks yes, but they do not have "HD" springs

The Gov-Loc differential does work the same in an "HD" and 1/2 ton truck yes. Different axle assemblies all together but yes, the differential workings are the same.

NO 1/2 ton trucks sense '04 have had rear disc brakes unless they were a Vortec Max or Max trailering package truck with the 9.5" rear axle assembly.

I think they will keep the 6.2 around for the1500 possibly enhance with AFM. I like pickuptruck.com but they're just speculating. They're also not accurate when they said the 6.2 was available in 2007+ models. With all the power options available out there I see the demand for a 6.2. My 2cents.

I think they will keep the 6.2 around for the1500 possibly enhance with AFM. I like pickuptruck.com but they're just speculating. They're also not accurate when they said the 6.2 was available in 2007+ models. With all the power options available out there I see the demand for a 6.2. My 2cents.

Rumors flying on the net that GM will move the 6.2 to the HD models while the 1500 series is getting a direct injection most likely in 5.3L for improved gas mileage and power. I haven't heard anything other than that atm.

Which is considered faster/quicker the 2wd or the 4wd version? Extended Cab or Crew Cabs? Considering they each would have the same gearing in differential's. I myself have yet to run a silverado with 6.2 but have ran a GMC Denali Crew 08-09 and I came out the winner in that case, not sure his mods but he did have a K/N sticker on his rear tailgate.

Edited by RyanbabZ71

Which is considered faster/quicker the 2wd or the 4wd version? Extended Cab or Crew Cabs? Considering they each would have the same gearing in differential's.

Simple......... do the math...... Given the same tires on each vehicle, it's pure power to weight ratio.

Edited by wavery

Which is considered faster/quicker the 2wd or the 4wd version? Extended Cab or Crew Cabs? Considering they each would have the same gearing in differential's. I myself have yet to run a silverado with 6.2 but have ran a GMC Denali Crew 08-09 and I came out the winner in that case, not sure his mods but he did have a K/N sticker on his rear tailgate.

Which is considered faster/quicker the 2wd or the 4wd version? Extended Cab or Crew Cabs? Considering they each would have the same gearing in differential's.

Simple......... do the math...... Given the same tires on each vehicle, it's pure power to weight ratio.

Well according to GMC.com

4X4 extended cab curb weight = 5330 / 4X2 = 5092

4X4 crew cab cube weight = 5372 / 4X2 = 5120

So the difference is a few hundred pounds which means a lot if your a serious drag racer wanting to shave a few .01 secs off your quarter time. In real life it would be the difference a the amount of passengers. The difference in the drivers means a lot more. So to answer your question is doesn't really matter xc or cc. You should go with the cc for the room and 4X4 because why not have the 4X4 capability, I mean why buy a 2X4 truck???? Hope that answers your question.

People buy 2x4 truck because thats what they want! Or, like me, they may not ever get off the pavement! I don't like how they sit! I don't like lifts or leveling! But I like trucks! :D

Edited by RyanbabZ71

SMH Don't like lifts or leveling??? To each their own, I defiantly don't plan on taking my luxury truck off road either. I just wanted the 4X4 capability because you never know. And pulling a boat up a slippery boat ramp, 4X4 is a plus. Not having because 4X4 because you don't think you will need it is like not wearing a condom cuz you don't plan on getting a girl pregnant. LOLZ

Edited by RyanbabZ71

I understand the pros and where you coming from with having a 4x4! But its not a biggie with me and my lifestyle! If I was a outdoors-man,I mean a TRUE one then yes, I would have one or one just for hunting or fishing! I like trucks because I like the room in them while you drive. I mean these new truck are comfortable. The worst part about having a truck is, when people move for one place to another, they ALWAYS want touse your truck or help them move with your truck! I hate that!

Edited by RyanbabZ71

I just wanted the 4X4 capability because you never know. And pulling a boat up a slippery boat ramp, 4X4 is a plus. Not having because 4X4 because you don't think you will need it is like not wearing a condom cuz you don't plan on getting a girl pregnant. LOLZ

loool...I see it the same way...a truck w/o 4x4 is like a dog w/o teeth.

In the area I live in I actually don't need 4x4. But even in the couple of weeks we get snow around here I like to go away from the intersection and not scratch on the snow like a hen.

:rolleyes:

so long

j-ten-ner