Door Cable Snapped

AGT

So I went to open the door using the interior handle and nothing. Heard something and discovered after removing the panel that the cable snapped. Called local dealer. 50 bux for a glorified cable with knots on the end. Cheapest shipped is 40. I think I am just gonna rig it with my own cable and knots. Do you think I should buy the OEM or do what will work?

That looks like a pretty new truck to be doing the rigging job on. Fix it right! There's more to those cables than you think. How many times do you want to take the door apart when your temp fix fails?

I would just get the OEM cable and do the repair right the first time. Odds of it breaking again will be slim. Just be thankful that you can replace it yourself without having to pay the dealer. Unless you are still under warrenty, then have them do it.

Its literally a braided cable with a polyvinyl insulation around it. I admit I will probably end up buying the replacement but something is to be said for the OEM snapping.

No, it shouldn't fail this early. What year is your truck? Warranty up? Maybe check for TSBs on it. They had one for the tailgate cables snapping. Chinese crap. Probably made from Jap Zeros they fished out of the South China Sea. :bs:

Archived