Painted bumpers... WTF is up with the quality?

Finally broke down to detail my 08 SD yesterday. Doing a hand wash, and when I was wiping it down, found a corner on the front bumper that was full bare metal rust the size of a quarter. (Where the 3M bra didn't cover).

Get to the back, and there is a bunch of stone chips that are bubbling up as well! LIke WTF GM. This truck is 4 years old, lives in my garage and has 20k miles on it. Freaking rediculous. It's obvious they didn't use galvenized metal for the bumpers. It's just primed/painted tin.

I ended up grabbing the dental pick, and started scraping back rust/paint until I found clean metal to paint. I bet between the front/rear bumpers, I scraped off over 1 square inch of paint. Made me sick.

Stupid POS is just rotting in the garage. :devil:

So if you have painted bumpers, I'd highly recommend you comb them for chips, and touch them up or they'll rust to sh*t on you. :banghead:

Yea the paint quality about half sucks. It's just something Ive gotten used to and I don't even care anymore. It'll only get worse as the new vehicles get cheaper...

Finally broke down to detail my 08 SD yesterday. Doing a hand wash, and when I was wiping it down, found a corner on the front bumper that was full bare metal rust the size of a quarter. (Where the 3M bra didn't cover).

Get to the back, and there is a bunch of stone chips that are bubbling up as well! LIke WTF GM. This truck is 4 years old, lives in my garage and has 20k miles on it. Freaking rediculous. It's obvious they didn't use galvenized metal for the bumpers. It's just primed/painted tin.

I ended up grabbing the dental pick, and started scraping back rust/paint until I found clean metal to paint. I bet between the front/rear bumpers, I scraped off over 1 square inch of paint. Made me sick.

So if you have painted bumpers, I'd highly recommend you comb them for chips, and touch them up or they'll rust to sh*t on you. :banghead:

stop giving me reasons to not get a GMT900. that would drive me crazy if a had an 08 SD too

stop giving me reasons to not get a GMT900. that would drive me crazy if a had an 08 SD too

Probably not a good reason. I had more paint issues w/ my '99 Sierra than I have my '08. Kinda luck of the draw, I think.

No rock chips no rust

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From my understanding, the SD's are made in the Canadian plant. Thanks Canada for top quality paint laws..... :fume:

What really bugs me is we get screwed for $60k for the SD up north, and I can't even expect the thing to last. Crap, in 10 years, it'll look like an old Datsun with the fenders flapping. :lol:

I have no problems with a stone chip getting a rust spot, it's par to the course. It's just a stone chip that happens one year will be a dime sized cancerous rust spot after winter. That's rediculous..... My rear bumper actually had bubbled up paint. :sick:

From my understanding, the SD's are made in the Canadian plant. Thanks Canada for top quality paint laws..... :fume:

Interesting thought... mine was assembled/painted in Mexico, and I've been happy w/ the paint so far. My '99 looked great and was tough, but the clear started bubbling on the roof. I've done a few small repairs on the '08, and the clear is plenty thick to take some wet sanding and polishing. Can't say the same for our Toyota...

Yea it used to be that you got what you paid for, but now you pay through the nose and still get crap. It's not just with vehicles either, it's everything anymore.

Look at all mfgs I have seen some non-gm trucks with painted bumpers that were awful looking due to rust. It's not only a gm thing

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does seem to be a problem with all manufacturers. My 07 Tundra's chrome front bumper was rusting in an around the holes for the fog lights. Needless to say I kept the truck super clean and it had no reason to start rusting; I kept the problem at bay with oiling the rust down. Truck was traded on the 11 Silverado. So far no paint or rust issues with the Chevy, but only 14K on the clock. Whoever got the Tundra will have a rust issue in a couple of years.

Man, it's just frustrating. When I was clay bar and waxing it, the body panels are all scratched to crap. I was thinking like randas was, pretty much she needs a respray. Man, I feel for the guy that actually uses his truck "as a truck". Mine's basically a "car" to hauil the family around in and tow the trailer once in a while. Never leaves the ashpalt.

It's pretty annoying that where ever you go now, people do 1/2 a job (if that), you pay through the nose and get crap, and someone always is inventing another way to dip in you pockets on another "fee".

And all in all, I still make the same money, and my standard of living is rapdily declining in the toilet. :tear:

At least now she's shined up, so I'll feel better for a couple of months. :thumbs:

Stupid thing is instead of the GM plant poluting, it's spread around to the regions where the independant shops, with no environmental regulations respraying laquer everywhere. Pretty stupid....

Interesting thought... mine was assembled/painted in Mexico, and I've been happy w/ the paint so far.

Don't knock those Silao trucks; mine's from there, and not only is the paint good, the rest of the truck is pretty solid and well put together, too. I'm happy with it.

Archived