how can i disable onstar tracking 2011 silverado??

Going through a divorce possibly and the wife is trying to take the truck before a order is in place. I know if she activates onstar im toast..lawyer said if she has a key made or finds a way to get the truck there is nothing i can do before the order of temporary use goes into effect. So i want to totally turn of onstar which isnt active that i know of. Any help would be great. It was very easy on a 2005 silverado but this truck has the unit hidden well

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I looked at the fuses and the manual but didnt see one labled onstar. I have heard that doest disable tracking in all vehicles. Im told the box is under the radio ..but i have to tear quite a bit of the dash apart

Should be a fuse...just pull it.

Correct,Pulling the fuse in the underhood electrical center will disable it.

The label on the underneath of the cover describes each fuse,I believe the On-Star one is listed as communications.

Well first there are some questions that need answers.

1. Have you filed?

2.Does she have her own vehicle she primarily drives?

3.Who's income makes the payments?

If 1 and 2 are yes and 3 is you, She cant take it from you in the divorce

I would hope the dealership would require some proof of ownership before supplying a key ordered from the VIN. Simply having the same last name and address as registered owner should not be proof enough. If the vehicle is in her name, then she should be able to get a key.

Don't know what trim levels Chevy has, I know the GMC ones, but the lower levels has the Onstar box behind the lower dash panel right above trans tunnel. Takes about 5 min to pull the box. All you really need to do is pull the wires from the box actually.

I will look for the fuse after dinner..thank you. Yeah we traded in my 07 that was in my name..put the '11 in her name because of the interest rate..bad move. She has a car in her name also. I need the truck for pulling my work trailer so i have to play it safe...at least until i get a temporary order. She filed but hasnt served yet which was smart on her part because i cant file now so until im served there cant be a temporary order for vehicle use. Thanks everyone

I will look for the fuse after dinner..thank you. Yeah we traded in my 07 that was in my name..put the '11 in her name because of the interest rate..bad move. She has a car in her name also. I need the truck for pulling my work trailer so i have to play it safe...at least until i get a temporary order. She filed but hasnt served yet which was smart on her part because i cant file now so until im served there cant be a temporary order for vehicle use. Thanks everyone

you have your vehicle she has hers. doesnt matter tht it is in her name. when it goes to court and you show you are the driver of the truck and make the payments she will have to sign it over to you

Well first there are some questions that need answers.

1. Have you filed?

2.Does she have her own vehicle she primarily drives?

3.Who's income makes the payments?

If 1 and 2 are yes and 3 is you, She cant take it from you in the divorce

WRONG.............YES she can take it and it doesn't matter if she has 25 vehicles of her own. Doesn't matter who makes the payments when you are married everything is 50/50 come divorce time. It will come down to what they can agree on in the process.

you have your vehicle she has hers. doesnt matter tht it is in her name. when it goes to court and you show you are the driver of the truck and make the payments she will have to sign it over to you

This is also INCORRECT............again it does not matter who the driver is or who made payments. It comes down to what the two parties can agree on, other than that it's lawyer work. She or He will not have to sign anything over because of payments.

OP, don't take any advise here, you are being fed incorrect information. Deal with a lawyer. Hope yo ucan work something out and keep your truck through all this. If possible, transfer as much as possible to your parents BEFORE the divorce filing starts.

Advice is always welcome..we just have to sort through and use our common sense etc..wasnt sure if disconnecting the box (wires) would kill the tracking or if it uses the radio or whatever..

Archived