just hit 60k, things to look for?

My 09 5.3L Sierra just hit 60k, was wondering what things I should start looking at doing for preventive maintenance. I am not sure what the recommended mileage is for brakes but I think they will probably be coming up soon. Other things I was thinking about...

1 Coolant flush?

2 Tranny flush and filter change (does it have a filter for tranny fluid???)

3 fuel filter? - if so, where the hell is it, can i do it myself?

4 spark plugs? - never been done, can i do myself? I've changed many a set of plugs, just never really gotten under this truck before and not sure about access

5 air filter? - hasn't been done in like 2 yrs, should probably replace right? Thinking about putting on a K&N cold air intake, does this ACTUALLY improve mileage, your thoughts?

6 Change rear diff fluid?

7 brake pads? - they were inspected at last oil change and are still good but just thinking for the future

8 o2 sensors?

According to http://www.driversid...9-23495-31050-0 I should have already changed my fuel filter at 40k (and apparently every 20k miles) but i don't know about this site

1 If not now, soon. Check condition of hoses

2 Yes to at least a pan drop and filter change.

3 Fuel filter is part of the pump assembly and is not serviceable

4 Not until at least 100k

5 Yes

6 Yes.

7 Keep an eye on them

8 O2 sensors- No

According to http://www.driversid...9-23495-31050-0 I should have already changed my fuel filter at 40k (and apparently every 20k miles) but i don't know about this site

Skip the website, stick to the owners manual. That's just how I look at things like this.

I concur.....

belts, that's a good one I didn't think of. It's 2WD so no front diff. Power steering fluid change is a good one. Well do to warranty work that is being done simultaneously they are replacing the master cylinder so that would inherently change out my brake fluid correct?

As far as the owners manual goes, I didn't see a dedicated "here is the stuff you should change at such-and-such mileage" section, if there is one could someone give me a page number?

How long are front brake pads expected to last on this thing? I have never personally inspected them but I feel like 60k is a lot for brakes. I don't know squat about these fancy new-age materials they use these days though

Typically a maintenance table is located towards the back of your manual. It's not all inclusive by any means but it will cover the most important things. Your main belt "should" be good for 100k miles but your AC belt may not last that long. I'm still running my factory main belt (6years, 97k miles), but my AC belt was pretty beat up and replaced about 3 years ago (~70k miles).

Brake pad will vary dependent on your driving habits and where you drive. My factory rotors were crap so they got change by 60k miles but the pads were still pretty thick. My rear brakes were worn to limits at the time so I did a complete brake job in 2009. The new pads are wearing faster than factory but that's due to city driving, my driving habits and also because I switched to semi-metallic vs factory ceramic brake pads.

My 09 5.3L Sierra just hit 60k, was wondering what things I should start looking at doing for preventive maintenance. I am not sure what the recommended mileage is for brakes but I think they will probably be coming up soon. Other things I was thinking about...

1 Coolant flush?

2 Tranny flush and filter change (does it have a filter for tranny fluid???)

3 fuel filter? - if so, where the hell is it, can i do it myself?

4 spark plugs? - never been done, can i do myself? I've changed many a set of plugs, just never really gotten under this truck before and not sure about access

5 air filter? - hasn't been done in like 2 yrs, should probably replace right? Thinking about putting on a K&N cold air intake, does this ACTUALLY improve mileage, your thoughts?

6 Change rear diff fluid?

7 brake pads? - they were inspected at last oil change and are still good but just thinking for the future

8 o2 sensors?

Great posts from everyone. Additional recommended maintenance services:

Inspect fuel system for damage or leaks, Inspect exhaust system for loose or damaged components, replace engine air cleaner filter, change automatic transmission fluid and filter, change transfer case fluid (4WD) and inspect evaporative control system.

For additional information, check the Maintenance Schedule in the owner's manual, starting on page 6-2. There are maintenance charts available on pages 6-5 through 6-8.

For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/owners-manual/gmc/2009-GMC-Sierra.pdf

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis (assisting Tricia)

GM Customer Service

Typically a maintenance table is located towards the back of your manual. It's not all inclusive by any means but it will cover the most important things. Your main belt "should" be good for 100k miles but your AC belt may not last that long. I'm still running my factory main belt (6years, 97k miles), but my AC belt was pretty beat up and replaced about 3 years ago (~70k miles).

Brake pad will vary dependent on your driving habits and where you drive. My factory rotors were crap so they got change by 60k miles but the pads were still pretty thick. My rear brakes were worn to limits at the time so I did a complete brake job in 2009. The new pads are wearing faster than factory but that's due to city driving, my driving habits and also because I switched to semi-metallic vs factory ceramic brake pads.

I thought I knew a bit about these trucks but what the heck is a "Main Belt" ???

I thought I knew a bit about these trucks but what the heck is a "Main Belt" ???

He's describing the belt that drives everything but the AC.

Well I just got the truck back (from my trusted dealership), they changed out my master cylinder and brake booster and the rear wheel cylinder, under warranty. I had the tranny flushed and the fuel system/injectors flushed/cleaned (more to follow). I am really quite pissed at that first dealership, I think they were messing around in my truck. As stated earlier the brake notification did not come on until AFTER I took it to that first dealership, and it was immediately after I got it back. Simultaneously, the check engine light came on which I assumed was associated with the brake notification on the DIC. However, the trusted dealership read it and told me that it was in fact due to a "lean fuel" message so they persuaded me to do the fuel system treatment thingy. not much I can do to argue with them on codes and such. I find it very suspicious that prior to bringing the truck into the first dealership I had no notifications and as soon as I get in it at the dealership there are two... In addition, when I went to look at hte truck in the service bay at the first dealership, they had a huge service area with only two cars in the entire area (could probably fit 40-50 in there) which makes me feel like they were hurting for business. Really disappointed in what happened here. I opted for the tranny flush, but that fuel cleaning was like 150 bucks and I'm not confident I needed it

Fuel system cleaner is a ripoff and I don't like the trans flushes either, I much prefer the dropping of the pan to get at the filter. It might not change all the fluid but the flush machines run the filthy fluid through everything and I've personally seen a few high mileage vehicles suddenly lose the trans shortly after the flush was done. In the shop we always referred to the fluid flush machines as wallet flushing machines because of the absurd cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived