Best place to buy a rebuilt 5.3L

With only 140K on the clock my truck is giving up on me. It's a 2000 Z71 with the 5.3L. It started ticking not too long ago. I took it to GM today to have them look at it and they confirmed what i had been thinking... lifters are likely bad. This isn't the CSK, it's had that for a long time now. Any guess as to what their price was? Parts and labor was around 4 grand for new lifters, cam, and timing set :lol:

Even through GM parts direct the parts are still about a grand. So I started looking around for long blocks. It looks like I can get one for around 2 grand through places like autozone, and I've seen others as high as 3. I've done a lot of engine swaps in the past, quite a few 22Rs, a couple old 350's, and even V6 out of a pathfinder, so I can do engine swaps easily... what I don't know how to do is tear an engine down, so now I'm thinking crate...

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm extremely pissed off...

You don't have to tear it down. All you have to transfer to the new long block is the intake, exhaust, valve covers, oil pan, flex plate, timing cover?, water pump, and accessory drive. It's easiest if you have 2 engine stands and can set them right next to each other. If you can handle a straight swap then you can handle a long block. If you have any questions along the way myself and many others on this forum would be more than happy to help you out.

Good Luck!

Jon I'm coming for you. I will make sure my truck makes 541 HP with a 6.0. But what Jon is pointing out with the link is here in California I got a used 6.0 installed for $3000 cash. I pick it up today

No, South Carolina. I'm not worried about the swap, I've done engine swaps. I'm more looking for advice on who to buy the rebuilt block from.

The noise is on the DS. I pulled all the rockers and rods, 2 had oil "stuck" in them. I'm assuming it should have drained back out like the rest? To me that means I've got a couple of plugged lifter orifices? Going to try a couple of sprays and an engine flush and see if it might free them up. Damn thing runs perfect except for the tick, I'd hate to swap it.

Strange, that's pretty low mileage for a 5.3 to go out on. Anyway, I'd probably look into new parts rather than a whole new engine. I'm no expert and have no experience in tearing down a 5.3 (Mine has been flawless), however I can see myself just buying new heads and a new higher performance cam given your situation.

The problem is that I don't have the confidence/experience/know how to do a partial tear down, especially considering the parts alone are a grand, and I'll still have a bottom end with 140K on it. If this was an old 350 I'd try it, but it's not, it's a modern 5.3 and will be my DD again if I can find another job (I have a work truck for the one I have right now and I hate the job).

I'm guessing it would take me two full weekends to do a swap, there's a lot of crap under the hood... and a lot of parts to swap over... I wish I would have unloaded it last year when I wanted to... oh well...

No, South Carolina. I'm not worried about the swap, I've done engine swaps. I'm more looking for advice on who to buy the rebuilt block from.

The noise is on the DS. I pulled all the rockers and rods, 2 had oil "stuck" in them. I'm assuming it should have drained back out like the rest? To me that means I've got a couple of plugged lifter orifices? Going to try a couple of sprays and an engine flush and see if it might free them up. Damn thing runs perfect except for the tick, I'd hate to swap it.

where abouts in SC are you ?

Greenville area. That looks like a pic of that nasty snow storm we got in January 2011. That sucked, it was so bad the BMW plant even shut down for a couple days. My truck was the only thing we could get around in, at the end of my driveway you go up or down a steep hill. It had over a foot of snow on it, which then turned to a sheet of ice, and with the help of all the dang trees it lasted a good week. There was no way I was going to let our (at the time) brand new 2011 Mustang try and go out in it, let alone let some dumb ass hit us!

My wife and I are also Clemson Alumni. I have a BS in Civil Engineering and she has her undergrad for Animal Science from there, both class of '04. She had to go on to UGA for her Vet degree.

You wouldn't happen to be a super awesome mechanic that works for cheap, are you? :lol:

I've restored cars (see pic below), body, paint, swapped parts, modified stuff, but something about the insides of engines (and wiring!) terrifies me...

Greenville area. That looks like a pic of that nasty snow storm we got in January 2011. That sucked, it was so bad the BMW plant even shut down for a couple days. My truck was the only thing we could get around in, at the end of my driveway you go up or down a steep hill. It had over a foot of snow on it, which then turned to a sheet of ice, and with the help of all the dang trees it lasted a good week. There was no way I was going to let our (at the time) brand new 2011 Mustang try and go out in it, let alone let some dumb ass hit us!

My wife and I are also Clemson Alumni. I have a BS in Civil Engineering and she has her undergrad for Animal Science from there, both class of '04. She had to go on to UGA for her Vet degree.

You wouldn't happen to be a super awesome mechanic that works for cheap, are you? :lol:

I've restored cars (see pic below), body, paint, swapped parts, modified stuff, but something about the insides of engines (and wiring!) terrifies me...

Your right on the money!!! Thats the road going downhill from tri county the first road on the right over looking that field. It was so much fun playing i the snow and class was cancelled for like 3 days to !

Im a junior there now, my major is ENR with a wildlife bio minor

Actually my roommate and a good friend up here are awesome with motors and electronics...Roommate replaced my two doors (wiring in them ugh!) and fender and foooled with wires the whole time and did good. And my good friend up here has done many motor swaps and reassembled/taken apart motors

Sorry for the "delay", I've had the flu this week... what a bitch...

Now that you mention that... the head GM tech mentioned that to me too, but I said "no", no coolant loss... but then I remembered I added a little about a year ago. It was odd, because I tilted the truck awkardly sideways on a hill and my "low coolant" light came on. I thought it was because of the angle and it tripped the sensor, but it didn't go away... so I added maybe half a gallon to get it back to the "full" mark, but the light never came on again so I never thought of it... when I feel better, I'll check to see if the level has dropped any... How many miles did your truck have and how much coolant were you losing?

I guess we don't have it that bad though... aparently the 5.3L AFM engines are having all sorts of issues with the 4 AFM lifters and oil consumption with low miles... The tech I talked to recommended I buy a 4.8L truck over 5.3L if I decided to replace my truck with an 07+ truck.

If recommend a 6.2 over a 4.8. I went from my 4.8 and drove a 6.2 escalade which has afm and loved it. The 6.2 trucks don't have it. I just changed my 4.8 to the 6.0. Only time is ever recommend a 4.8 now is if you tow less than 3000 pounds.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Archived