Backup Camera Installation?

I have a 2009 GMC Sierra with navigation. I have looked into backup cameras from camera-source.com and gmbackupcam.com. Both have kits for around 200 bucks, which is 100-200 cheaper than factory kits. Does anyone know which is better and how difficult the installation is? Camera-source has one that uses a CMOS camera and gmbackupcam uses a CCD camera. I called a local shop and they wanted 650 to put me a camera on, which i thought that was outrageous.

Hi Dave...

I'm currently at the beginning stages of an upgrade to Nav. and backup camera.

Researching, i have read that CCD cameras are the way to go and also that the OE camera is one of the best qualities (being that they are CCD).

I bought a brand new OE nav unit (unlocked) (DVD, Camera, GPS) I also bought the GMX 550 lockpick unit so i can connect multiple cameras. I was thinking of adding a camera for my 22foot enclosed car hauler trailer.

I am looking for the brand name of the OE unit, and or a respectively priced OE kit. I called the Chevy dealer and their price was just too damn stupid! It wasn't even justifiable.

anyway.. If you get any info lmk

ill do the same

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i already have the nav unit that came with it, so I hate to scrap it. So i was looking at the gen 6, which would save me some money(199 bucks), that would do everything but the ipod. As far as the camera goes, ccd is almost twice as much as the CMOS. I havent decided which way to go. I was looking at camera-source.com. Their CMOS kit is 199 and their CCS is 330.

I just added the Coastal Gen 6 lockpick to my truck. So hopefully now when I get ready to add the camera all I have to do is plug it in and have the radio programmed, Does anyone know what has to be done to have it programmed. I called three dealers and they claim they have never heard of doing this.

• 3 weeks later...

I installed the coastal lock pick and it works good. Getting the trim off the dash was tough though. I was wondering does anyone have a recommemdation for a factory style camera? I have almost narrowed it down to camera-source.com and gmbackupcam.com. I also need to get my nav radio reprogrammed and the dealer said he has never heard of doing this, Can anyone help with this?

Look for another dealer. Any dealer should be able to do this in 15 min if they know what they are doing. My dealer did my 2009 Silverado back in 2009 for $50.00 and it took about 30 minutes but he told me that was the first one he did. Now that he knows what to do he would do it in the parking lot in less than 15 min.

I don't remember what brand camera was used but the programming is the same for all cameras from OEM to any aftermarket. I don't know exactly how he reprogrammed it but he used a tech 2 unit and entered several screens and activated the rear camera input. Like I said, once they done one it is a very easy and quick process.

• 2 weeks later...

Walt from ADC Mobile hooked me up with the Advent OGM-1 nav unit and factory looking tailgate camera. In total both the nav unit and camera took probably 2 hrs to install last weekend. Hardest part was zip tieing the camera wires to the bottom of my truck and have the wet snow fall onto me (live in Canada). The camera quality is much better than my buddies factory camera too. Also with the Advent OGM-1 I am able to connect WDTV to the system and store all my movies and music that are on my computer right inside my truck.

• 1 month later...

Just installed a backup camera from Camera-source.com. Very nice guy to deal with and the camera quality is good too. I went with the cheaper camera option, I think it was around 199. Pretty clear if you ask me.

• 1 month later...

I installed a Rosen unit in my truck. Has GPS, XM, video, BT, etc. Also connects to rear entertainment unit. Also got the rear camera. Install isnt that hard. Theres a really good video on youtube that shows a guy installing. (

)

With the rosen camera I didnt need to get the newer rear gate latch. just drilled a hold for the camera.

Remove the tail gate and drill bottom for the wire, remove the latch and run the wire thru. The video shows step by step and its easy.

I ran the wire along the drivers side and zip tied.

In the video the installer runs the wires thru the firewall, but there are a couple of access plugs on the floor. One by the driver and one behind the driver. I ran mine thru the back and under the side molding.

total install took about 1.5 hrs for the head unit and camera. Head unit was plug and play but I thought it was too easy and second guessed everything, otherwise it would have been faster.

Rear camera is awesome for hooking up the trailer and backing into parking spots. Only draw back is that at night when its really dark its not the greatest.

Archived