Chrome Wheel Problem

So I bought my 2012 GMC Sierra last juny and it has the 20" chrome clad wheel package. The rims are definetly NOT holding up. They have a nasty corroding color all over them and the back passanger rim has major issues around the edge of the rim close to the bead of rubber. I wash my truck at least once a week and get down and do the rims by hand every time. Was wondering if anyone else had this issue? If so did GM do anything about it? Pretty sad they cant even make it one year without gettin so damaged just by the weather itself. Definetly going to use the one year no fault tire/rim warranty offered when I bought the truck but whats going to be the deal after that is up? Kinda wishing I woulda paid for the extra 5 years of that warranty now when they offered it to me. :mad:

My "chrome" faked dually trims are just like you described also..

Had them replaced under warranty and have the same problem shortly after..

Sell your new ones for a good aftermarket one since you are obviously VCP disease..

(VERY CLEAN PERSON ) Lol

Scooby

I had the chrome clad 20's and had them replace them with the 20" Denali solid alum wheels under warranty. When you look at the back of the wheels in the casting "Made in China " both the solid and the clad

They will only replace them once under warranty too.

Guess ill wait til summer roles around and get them replaced and use them til the end of August and them invest in aftermarket ones. Possibly keep the POS factories for winter driving I guess.

• 1 month later...

So I took the truck in to get the rims looked at the other week. The dealer had to send pictures away to GM to see if they would be covered under warrenty. GM refused to warranty any chrome rims in Western Canada as of 2013. My no fault tire and rim warranty for my first year of owning the truck does will not cover this. It will on the other hand cover the rims if I "accidently" hit a curb. Guess its time to go curb rubbing! Sad part about all this is my cousin had his '11 F150 rims just replaced by Ford no questions asked even being 5 months over his tire and rim warranty. :M16:

Maybe washing your truck every single week might have something to do with the extra corrosion, as it seems very excessive. And are you using any special cleaning chemicals on your wheels besides normal soap?

Washing rims once a week is not excessive. Not washing and letting brake dust stay on the rim causes more issues

Ryan

No issues at all if you use good pads. ;)

But I wouldn't know right now since my pads are crap and they let off tons of dust so I do end up having to wash the wheels once a week, unless I spray on a dust repellent.

But as for the OP, swapping to quality wheels would be the best option.

Archived