Power Steering on Lifted Trucks

Anyone else have their power steering pump blow a seal or act up after putting a large lift and tires on their half tons? i blew a steering shaft seal and wondering when i replace the pump if its just going to do it again soon or is there something i can do to beef it up?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It may be possible to get set up with hydro assist. Not sure on our trucks.

Hydro assist is a major modification and it isn't recommended for street-driven trucks. Sarah has 33s I think so I'd say a quality replacement is all that ought to be needed.

Welcome to the world of using a lifted truck as its intended.if you use it which I know you do, You gotta pay to play.

As for the pump , 35's shouldn't be too hard on it. Try not to dry steer it and when's the last time you did a PSF flush?

Seals can fail due to contaminates in the fluid building up on inner lip. Got to figure the power steering system does not have a filter to collect any comtaminates so this could be a possible cause. When you pull the cap of the reservoir does the fluid smell burnt? I know of two guys, who one had a high end Audi and the other a BMW, and both had power steering leaks right out of the rack. Neither of them could afford the parts and labor or a new rack and pinion at the time so they tried that Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak and beleive it or not but their leaks stopped. Usually fluids and chemicals do not fix problems but it might be worth the shot.

Well its been leaking for a while when it gets low i add more and ive never smelled anything burnt but never really noticed i could see whats out there and give it a shot since its such a slow leak

i'd just get a puller/installer kit and pull the pulley(minding where it is on the shaft first for reinstallation)

i center punch the seal ,and bark in a small screw with a 1/4 air ratchet ,then pull the seal/screw out with side cutters

works like a hot dam

mid to late 90's trucks use the same pump ,i have done a ton,

common imo

i'd just get a puller/installer kit and pull the pulley(minding where it is on the shaft first for reinstallation)

i center punch the seal ,and bark in a small screw with a 1/4 air ratchet ,then pull the seal/screw out with side cutters

works like a hot dam

mid to late 90's trucks use the same pump ,i have done a ton,

common imo

My buddy has something like that, works like a charm. Those pulleys/seals can be a real b$!#|!!!

Archived