Tow / Recovery Hooks

My loaded SLT didn't come with tow/recovery hooks, yet my 2007 SLE1 did... that's pretty weak GM. But whatever, I bought a set and jumped under there a little while ago to put them in.

Bad news: the install is anything but simple! The bolt holes are blocked by the primary bumper support bracket. That means, in order to put them in, you have to remove the entire front bumper and all the associated trim pieces below the grille. WTF GM!?!? So yeah, this install will have to wait for another day.....

My loaded SLT didn't come with tow/recovery hooks, yet my 2007 SLE1 did... that's pretty weak GM. But whatever, I bought a set and jumped under there a little while ago to put them in.

Bad news: the install is anything but simple! The bolt holes are blocked by the primary bumper support bracket. That means, in order to put them in, you have to remove the entire front bumper and all the associated trim pieces below the grille. WTF GM!?!? So yeah, this install will have to wait for another day.....

I'd be interested in seeing the bolt hole pattern for the hooks, that's the location that I used to attach my push bar to the front of my Denali, I'm hoping that I can transfer it to the 2014 once I get it

I just posted a new topic about new accessory packages offered by GMC. not sure when you got your truck but they have a chrome package offered at no coset...Chrome package comes with chrome recovery hooks, polished exhaust tips and 4 inch tubular round assist steps.

The tow hooks are identical to the GMT-900 ones.

My 2007 Sierra Crew Cab 2WD SLE1 came from the factory with tow hooks.

I haven't messed with removing the headlights yet... I want to modify the LED strips, so when my new bulbs finally come in, I'll likely remove the entire front end so I can do lights & tow hooks at the same time. If you're simply asking about swapping bulbs, the left is super easy, while the right is frustrated by the air box in the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I work at a dealer, and just had the luxury of installing chrome tow hooks onto a new 2014 Silverado, it is a lil more diffucult than the previous versions, the front bumper doesn't have to be removed, as I was not getting paid to do that. The truck came with factory black hooks, the passenger side was the easier side, I installed the longer bolt first as this gave the hook some movement and it slipped right in. The drivers side was another story, after looking at my options, one considered was taking the bumper off, but again for free (I don't think so) I cut the head of the longer bolt off and slid the bolt out and when I reinstalled the new bolt I ran it from the outside in, it did take a few hits with a hammer but it went in as this is a thru the frame bolt doesn't matter which way it goes in, and run the short bolts in their original locations. The whole install took about 30 minutes to do, and I went in expecting it to be like the old truck. So it can be done easily

How much weight are these hooks rated for? I have them on mine but wasn't sure what they could handle

I don't know of any rating but in my own experience the older GM truck tow hooks could handle a pretty strong jolt. By comparison the Ford F-150 tow hooks were/are pathetically weak, often breaking or deforming in a simple pull out of a snowbank scenario.

Archived