Using rear camera assist......

OK, maybe it's just me but I don't think so (as the folks at the dealership had no answers). I bought the 2014 Silverado Crew Cab LT a couple of weeks ago, with the Sports Package and Trailering Package.

How does one properly use this feature, and specifically what do the orange lines represent? I assume distance-if so, how much? I've looked all over on line and on this site and can't find any discussion of it. I have owned trucks before and at 50 I'm certainly capable of driving/parking without it but figure what the heck, it's there. It looks like I'm right on top of the vehicle behind me when I use the camera, and then I hop out and I'm 5 feet away, lol.

BTW, I read through the thread about all of the issues people are having with the 2014s and I'm glad to report, so far, zero issues here. I went over it with a fine tooth comb before taking possession and honestly it drives like a Caddy compared to my 2011.

Scary the dealership had no clue so I thought I'd give this board a shot. Thanks in advance.

OK, maybe it's just me but I don't think so (as the folks at the dealership had no answers). I bought the 2014 Silverado Crew Cab LT a couple of weeks ago, with the Sports Package and Trailering Package.

How does one properly use this feature, and specifically what do the orange lines represent? I assume distance-if so, how much? I've looked all over on line and on this site and can't find any discussion of it. I have owned trucks before and at 50 I'm certainly capable of driving/parking without it but figure what the heck, it's there. It looks like I'm right on top of the vehicle behind me when I use the camera, and then I hop out and I'm 5 feet away, lol.

BTW, I read through the thread about all of the issues people are having with the 2014s and I'm glad to report, so far, zero issues here. I went over it with a fine tooth comb before taking possession and honestly it drives like a Caddy compared to my 2011.

Scary the dealership had no clue so I thought I'd give this board a shot. Thanks in advance.

I mostly use it to make sure I'm not backing over anything like a small child, other wise I use my mirrors and back window.

Thanks guys and Joe I agree. I think that's probably how/why I'll end up using it. I just find it funny no one at the dealership has a clue what the lines mean and how to use it properly. I think I'll disable the lines feature and just use the warning alerts whenever I'm parking in that tight a spot.

My wifes 2013 Tahoe has these and from what I gather its very similar to what's on the 2014s. Not sure what the lines represent distance wise but you have to be careful as things come faster than you think. I have the backup camera on my 2011 but it has no guidance lines.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Thanks guys and Joe I agree. I think that's probably how/why I'll end up using it. I just find it funny no one at the dealership has a clue what the lines mean and how to use it properly. I think I'll disable the lines feature and just use the warning alerts whenever I'm parking in that tight a spot.

I believe the lines are there to provide perspective of the vehicle's width at distance and the size of an object behind and how rapidly you are approaching it.

I think you are over-anaylizing something pretty simple, IMO.

Not in the OM I guess. On my 09, it has the warning lights and audio beeps. Over time, I began to understand the distance in relation to the warnings and how much room I had. U will too on this system, after some use.

the orange lines represent where the truck is going. You just have to get used to it. Once you do or use it to hook up a trailer, you'll never want another vehicle without one.

Hello,

I see that you have a few questions about your new vehicle. Private message me including your questions and your VIN. I would be more than happy to assist you.

Safe travels,

Jennifer T.

GM Customer Care

If you wanna know distance, get a tape measure.

Orange lines represent vehicle path. If you purchased a up scale truck, it has yellow lines that represents the yellow brick road to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

Take a few minutes to play around with it and place some objects behind the truck and move to them line up with the lines. Then you will have a better idea of the distance behind your truck when you back up.

If you wanna know distance, get a tape measure.

Orange lines represent vehicle path. If you purchased a up scale truck, it has yellow lines that represents the yellow brick road to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

wow. thanks for the great advice. now go shoot yourself.

Take a few minutes to play around with it and place some objects behind the truck and move to them line up with the lines. Then you will have a better idea of the distance behind your truck when you back up.

great advice. thanks mike.

Archived