Price paid?

I just got back from the dealer and I feel like I am missing something. I am looking at the 2014 Crew 4x4 with allstar and some other small options.

Sticker is $45,535

supplier price $42,343

employee (I cant get) is $40,699

Invoice is $42,860 (which has a few numbers in it: $40860, H/B $1333, ADV $222, EXP $444)

There first offer is supplier price less current incentives: $38,843

Should I be able to get them to $41 or $41.5k before incentives?

I would start out by going to a dealer that doesn't pad their prices so much right off the bat.

The Invoice price on that truck should be $42,193. ($150 less than supplier price) This dealer is asking you to pay additional add-on fees to pay for his advertising, and other costs of business. This is pure profit to them.... The advertising pays for itself, otherwise they wouldn't belong to these advertising pools. You shouldn't be asked to pay those fees.

Offer them $500 below invoice, minus your incentives....

the worst they can say is no. If they do, move on.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone! Been lurking for a while now and decided to join!

I'm shopping for a new Sierra SLT 4x4 Z71 Crew and I've been dealing with the same dealer I purchased my 2010 Sierra and my wife's 2011 Yukon.. In the past we used a Credit Union discount.. Now they're saying only the current "supplier pricing" is valid and they won't give me a price that includes the discount that I'm "suppose" to get (according to the mygmdiscounts.com site). The site's scenarios suggest that a CU member should get about $2500 off MSRP PLUS all current cash incentives...

Is my dealer trying to intentionally exclude this promo so I'll finance through them... or is it just not a valid promo?

See pic:

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b528/edavis5300/ScreenShot2014-03-11at114320PM_zpsddfef6c2.png

Go elsewhere. Supplier pricing will knock AT LEAST $3K off the price of a $47K MSRP truck, before taking current offers into account.

Ask for the invoice sheet on the vehicle you are looking at. It will show MSRP, supplier/preferred pricing, Invoice price, and employee price. If this dealer isn't even willing to give you the supplier price, then go elsewhere, another dealer definitely will.

If this dealer thinks you aren't going to be shopping around, then they will never give you a good price. Tell them that you're going to go check out what another dealer is offering and see if they change their tune.

Go elsewhere. Supplier pricing will knock AT LEAST $3K off the price of a $47K MSRP truck, before taking current offers into account.

Ask for the invoice sheet on the vehicle you are looking at. It will show MSRP, supplier/preferred pricing, Invoice price, and employee price. If this dealer isn't even willing to give you the supplier price, then go elsewhere, another dealer definitely will.

If this dealer thinks you aren't going to be shopping around, then they will never give you a good price. Tell them that you're going to go check out what another dealer is offering and see if they change their tune.

I'm not sure if this was in reference to my post, but I'll reply :) They are offering me all the incentives including Supplier Pricing. They've found a truck I wanted which MSRP's at $48,345. They offer me all the rebates and priced it to me at $42,399... Which I think is an OK deal, but if I'm available for the credit union offers on top of everything else, I'm just not sure why they're not including it... Unless the CU offer isn't available with the current promo's.

I'm not sure if this was in reference to my post, but I'll reply :) They are offering me all the incentives including Supplier Pricing. They've found a truck I wanted which MSRP's at $48,345. They offer me all the rebates and priced it to me at $42,399... Which I think is an OK deal, but if I'm available for the credit union offers on top of everything else, I'm just not sure why they're not including it... Unless the CU offer isn't available with the current promo's.

A credit union membership gets you supplier pricing, that's it. If they are a.already giving you supplier pricing through the current promos, then I'm not sure what else you are expecting....

Your credit union discount will not give you an additional $2500 savings off of the supplier price, if that is what you are hoping...

March's incentives is that everyone gets supplier pricing, regardless of credit union membership, supplier relationships, etc... everyone gets supplier price. That is all your credit union membership would have gotten you. So yes, the dealer is correct. You are getting supplier pricing, and any incentives on top of that. There is no more credit union discount for you to stack on top of this.

Is that $42,399 price from your dealer OTD? (including all taxes, title, and fees?)

A credit union membership gets you supplier pricing, that's it. If they are a.already giving you supplier pricing through the current promos, then I'm not sure what else you are expecting....

Your credit union discount will not give you an additional $2500 savings off of the supplier price, if that is what you are hoping...

March's incentives is that everyone gets supplier pricing, regardless of credit union membership, supplier relationships, etc... everyone gets supplier price. That is all your credit union membership would have gotten you. So yes, the dealer is correct. You are getting supplier pricing, and any incentives on top of that. There is no more credit union discount for you to stack on top of this.

Is that $42,399 price from your dealer OTD? (including all taxes, title, and fees?)

Gotcha! Thanks for clearing that up. That price isn't OTD.. Still have taxes on top of that... I have yet to go into the dealership (as they are trying to find the truck I want) to do any negations. Just as any salesperson would, they say they're at the their bottom price, but I feel I can get it lower if we were sitting in the front of them.

I understand to ask for the invoice and take that price and minus a few hundred off that, then take all the incentives and that should be the starting price (I'm guessing)?

I understand to ask for the invoice and take that price and minus a few hundred off that, then take all the incentives and that should be the starting price (I'm guessing)?

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Just double check their numbers....The supplier price, without negotiating, should be the invoice price plus a $150 program fee. You are entitle to that as a starting point, without negotiating.

Invoice price

Supplier price = Invoice price + $150 (program fee)

Then take off the current incentives, loyalty, private offer, GM Card cash, etc...

Anything you negotiate beyond that is up to you. I think most dealers are HAPPY selling a vehicle at invoice, and will gladly do so all day long. So a few hundred under invoice should be pretty easy without too much tough negotiating.

And be sure to ask for add-ons! like a bedliner or cover as a way to seal the deal for you.

That is where I am confused this month.

If I find a truck online it shows MSRP of $46k, less truck month discounts, price is now $40k. In my mind the dealer still makes the same profit selling the truck at $40 since the discounts are from GM.

When I went to the dealer. They took the $46k, dropped it to "open house price", and dropped some discounts and suprize, the price was $40k. I just don't know how to attack this. Should I negotiate the $46 down and then have them take off the $6700 in truck month discounts?

Sounds like you're on the right track.

Just double check their numbers....The supplier price, without negotiating, should be the invoice price plus a $150 program fee. You are entitle to that as a starting point, without negotiating.

Invoice price

Supplier price = Invoice price + $150 (program fee)

Then take off the current incentives, loyalty, private offer, GM Card cash, etc...

Anything you negotiate beyond that is up to you. I think most dealers are HAPPY selling a vehicle at invoice, and will gladly do so all day long. So a few hundred under invoice should be pretty easy without too much tough negotiating.

And be sure to ask for add-ons! like a bedliner or cover as a way to seal the deal for you.

Perfect! That's what I'll do! Thanks for the help!! My wife I both purchased at the end of the year (late Oct) and was able to get $8-$10k off each of our trucks w/o having and GM card points, etc etc... I'm shooting for close to that for this early in the year!

The largest GMC dealer in NJ happens to be the closest dealer to me so I went today to tempt myself. They didn't have what I want, and from what I read a 6.2 is not going to happen, but then do I really need it? They didn't have a 5.3 in stealth grey so we did a search. He found a SLT Allterrain with the preferred and value package, pretty much exactly what I want.

Sticker - $49430

Supplier with some other non negotiated rebates takes it to $43,666.

I think $5800 off before negotiation is pretty good. Gotta see what they can knock it down to and what I'd get for my trade.

I'm not in any rush for a '14, but if they're taking it down this much could be. Hard to negotiate that much later.

The largest GMC dealer in NJ happens to be the closest dealer to me so I went today to tempt myself. They didn't have what I want, and from what I read a 6.2 is not going to happen, but then do I really need it? They didn't have a 5.3 in stealth grey so we did a search. He found a SLT Allterrain with the preferred and value package, pretty much exactly what I want.

Sticker - $49430

Supplier with some other non negotiated rebates takes it to $43,666.

I think $5800 off before negotiation is pretty good. Gotta see what they can knock it down to and what I'd get for my trade.

I'm not in any rush for a '14, but if they're taking it down this much could be. Hard to negotiate that much later.

You are in the cat bird seat, you have a really tough road ahead though if you are a sensitive type guy. You have got to keep your emotions in check and remember that this is simply a business deal. You will have to walk out of that dealership at least once to get a great deal. Make sure they know you have cash in hand and will buy at your price and let them figure out how to make all the numbers work to meet your price. All these guys trying to beat them at their own game by figuring out little discounts here and there are playing right into their hands. Toss them the ball and see what they do with it. If they chase you down and bring you back in on the first visit YOU LOSE you overpaid by thousands. Leave and let them contact you with the deal that will be music to your ears. Good Luck

That is where I am confused this month.

If I find a truck online it shows MSRP of $46k, less truck month discounts, price is now $40k. In my mind the dealer still makes the same profit selling the truck at $40 since the discounts are from GM.

When I went to the dealer. They took the $46k, dropped it to "open house price", and dropped some discounts and suprize, the price was $40k. I just don't know how to attack this. Should I negotiate the $46 down and then have them take off the $6700 in truck month discounts?

If it were me, I'd negotiate from the $40k.. All the rebates and incentives is considered their "advertised price" in my book and nobody but suckers will settle w/ that price :)

2014 Silverado, 4x4, Crew Cab, standard bed, Z71, All Star Ed, 5.3L, 3.42 ratio

Bought in mid February:

MSRP= 43,635

rebates- 4,400

negotiate- 2,952

price= 36,283 + TTL

Seeing other posts here I probably could have done better, but I got the exact truck I wanted at a price I think is fair.

First, thanks for the great forum. I've learned a lot here. I'm looking to buy a truck - probably a Sierra or Silverado with the 6.2l engine. I've been shopping around and I've found that they're pretty scarce. In fact, there are just a couple on lots here in Utah. The dealers know what they've got and they're not dealing too much.

So - what kind of deals have you gotten on your 6.2 trucks? If I found a great deal, I'd probably go to a neighboring state, but I haven't found that yet. The one truck I have found that meets my criteria stickers at 52k or so, and they're telling me right about that (52) for my out the door price. That seems high to me.

I'm about an hour away from this dealer so I haven't set eyes on this truck personally. It's all been over the phone. This is for a Sierra SLT w/ All terrain package and a few other things.

Here's how it breaks down-

Sticker: 51660

sales price: 48012

rebates (1750)

subtotal: 46262

accessories and shipping (?): 1698 --- I asked about this, and they said its for bedliner and other things they put on the truck, but they didn't mention it in my "sales prices" for some reason.

tax: 3162

Reg, title, license and fees: 926 (this also seems very high)

Total out the door price: 52049

Thoughts? Is that about what I can expect when shopping for the more in demand 6.2, or should I hold out for a better deal and better rebates?

TIA

Archived