High Mileage Club - 300k+ Miles Edition

I'd give them $3000 for it... if I had $3000 :( that's a great looking truck for that many miles..

but then again that photo is probably not of the actual truck so never mind...

... that photo is probably not of the actual truck so never mind...

Concur. No way it's the actual truck. It is a brochure photo.

I would be curious to see an ACTUAL photo of this specimen...would probably scare you.

PS: Photo of odometer does NOT look like a 2003 instrument cluster. Makes me suspect...

Edited by Bob D

in the article:

"The current engine has more than 250,000 miles on it. The original engine was sold to a race car builder and was still running at the time with 500,000 miles."

So... why did they get rid of the original engine then?

I have 265,000 on mine. I was well on pace to go over 300,000 last year, but I ended up acquiring my wife's gas sipper when I bought her a new kid hauler. My truck gets driven once a month now, and usually just enough to heat everything up.

All original drivetrain. Did the mandatory GM fuel pump replacement at 150,000, and brakes, shocks, and suspension components as needed. I'd keep it forever if it was a crew cab!

Can you explain the 'mandatory' fuel pump replacement? Do they tend to go bad at that point? My 2006 has about 151,000miles or so, so wondering if it's something I should be watching for?

• Like 1

99 chevy blazer It was still running at 330k but needed a bunch of work and got a 04 silverado(@270k now)so I started it on fire

Routine 3k maintain oil change rotate tires and

132 point check on occasion lol

post-138692-142246197336_thumb.jpg

Edited by mkeddie

Can you explain the 'mandatory' fuel pump replacement? Do they tend to go bad at that point? My 2006 has about 151,000miles or so, so wondering if it's something I should be watching for?

Yeah, there are a lot of people on here that had problems with their fuel pumps going out around this point. I didn't have any indication, just went dead in the middle of driving it one day. Some folks say that is helps to change the fuel filter more often.

It is a PITA to change on this truck. Either lift the bed off, or drop the tank. Hope it's empty if you decide to drop the tank.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

1999 GMC Sierra 1500 Factor lifted 4 inch, Z71  4x4 5.3 ltr.

About to turn 250k.. Original motor, transmission and rear-end.  The rest of the running gear has been replaced.  Purchased 3rd hand, from an authorized BMW repair shop, who had fixed a few or updated a things and turned up the motor.  What they did I have no clue, but this truck will get up and go.

I’ve replaced many other systems, including the AC system, EGR, electronic 4x4, transfer case, and all of the front end stuff.

Currently towing a 19 foot boat, and a 30 foot travel trailer...

My questions is? In a couple years we are going to head out west for a 6 month trip pulling the travel trailer.  Should I replace the truck with a newer 2500, or should I go ahead and buy a new transmission, and take this one.

• 2 weeks later...

We just took our 96 dodge to the scrap yard a little over a month ago, with just shy of 385,000 on it. Husband probably would have kept it longer, but the motor and tranny both went out in it(was worked like a dog hauling massive scrap loads, obviously not good on a half ton pickup). Will be a while before we hit 300,000 again, he currently has a 96 ford with just under 200,000, and I have an 06 sierra with 168,000. I've also included the only picture I have, taken just before the poor thing was flattened.

20180520_005011.jpg

Edited by hayners334
Info change
  • Like 2