Adding Navigation to Intellilink / MyLink System

it is unlikely that any factory NAV would work better than Google Maps

Unless you're somewhere without a cell phone signal. And those places happen to be the areas I most need to know where I am. Still factory navigation is always extremely disappointing to me, manufacturers just treat it as a cash cow and don't much care about functionality.

I you know your going to be going into a bad cell area Google maps has the option to save areas onto your phone so you can still navigate w/o a cell signal. There are also a few other navigation apps that you can do this with as well. Granted only really works if you know ahead of time. Just fyi since I find a lot of people don't know about this feature.

Tapped out with my dumb thumbs on my HP TouchDroid

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone actually done a upgrade yet ?, which company did you use? and did you have the dealer do it ?

I have a 14 silverado that I would like to do but want to be sure these are factory approved and are working well

I would defintely go OEM,So my dealer should be able to take care of me, parts and install?, I was under the impression that GM dealers weren't officially offering the upgrade, .

Are you with a dealership or after market shop

Thx

Here is a pic of the modules (and our programmer in action :thumbs: ). Got a lot of pms with questions about the kit, dealers, install, etc. Dealers can obviously order these, but may not be able to program them correctly. Install takes all of 10 minutes. We do require the core to be sent back (shipping label provided). Unfortunately, no free map updates--this is only an option when units installed from factory.

So is there any mechanism by which one can obtain map updates, or are the data static for the life of the vehicle?

For the few times I need navigation, I'm more than happy with my Garmin. I think spending an extra approx $10 a month on On-Star navigation wouldn't be good for me, and like I said, I only need navigation on the few trips out of the area I go on. It works laying on the console also if I don't want to pop it on the windshield.

I don't have a console and drilled a hole for my Garmin windshield mount thru the small storage box underneath the climate controls put a nut and bolt on it and plugged Into power right beside storage box. Works Great and when I wanna take the gps I just pop it off the ring windshield mount and pull the power plug. All for a cost of 99bucks and 20 minutes worth of time.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a console and drilled a hole for my Garmin windshield mount thru the small storage box underneath the climate controls put a nut and bolt on it and plugged Into power right beside storage box. Works Great and when I wanna take the gps I just pop it off the ring windshield mount and pull the power plug. All for a cost of 99bucks and 20 minutes worth of time.

Do you have a pic of your routing I am currently bringing over my 5 inch GPS from my last vehicle

Archived