Adding Navigation to Intellilink / MyLink System

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We just purchased a new 2014 Silverado and was wondering if anyone knows if Map Navigation can be loaded into the Chevy MyLink system? Since it is all one big computer it seems that it would be a simple software upgrade. Thanks!

I asked this question at my dealership and was told no. I also would like to upgrade. If anyone has heard otherwise, please advise :)

it is unlikely that any factory NAV would work better than Google Maps

Unless you're somewhere without a cell phone signal. And those places happen to be the areas I most need to know where I am. Still factory navigation is always extremely disappointing to me, manufacturers just treat it as a cash cow and don't much care about functionality.

If you have mylink (even the small 4.3 screen) then you have nav. You have to download the onstar app pn your phone and as long as you have gps on your phone, it will use that signal and allow you to have turn by turn with audio and visual nav on in your truck. Just figured it out myself today and it works great consdering it's free.

We just purchased a new 2014 Silverado and was wondering if anyone knows if Map Navigation can be loaded into the Chevy MyLink system? Since it is all one big computer it seems that it would be a simple software upgrade. Thanks!

Was told that at this point it would need to be taken into the dealership to have any updates flashed. Stupid considering there is an SD card slot...

it is unlikely that any factory NAV would work better than Google Maps

Just got back from a 1400 mile trip and I can tell you this is the best factory NAV I've ever used (it can be a tad slow at times but otherwise it's awesome!). I really like it!

I couldn't imagine GM will allow this. Otherwise no one would order a truck with the NAVI upgrade... lost $$ for GM...

I second that. You'll likely have to wait 6 months to a year for the aftermarket to come up with something.

If you have mylink (even the small 4.3 screen) then you have nav. You have to download the onstar app pn your phone and as long as you have gps on your phone, it will use that signal and allow you to have turn by turn with audio and visual nav on in your truck. Just figured it out myself today and it works great consdering it's free.

You mean it will get turn arrows and voice correct? Or are you getting a map on your screen?

No, and as of right now an upgrade is not available. It is coming. It is not just one big computer either, depending on which "MyLink" system you have it is at least 4 "computers"

HMMM now see that makes everything different, so are you saying that they are not all the same head units or are you saying that each is programmed differently at plant and you get what you get, or are you saying that it comes pre programmed from a factory and then installed in the truck? Belleve it or not this is a very very popular question!

You mean it will get turn arrows and voice correct? Or are you getting a map on your screen?

i use the on star system, it just shows an arrow on your screen if you are gonna make a right or left and shows how close to the turn your getting put thats it, very basic plus the voice telling you that a turn is comming up. It also shows the arrow on the little screen between the gauge clusters

HMMM now see that makes everything different, so are you saying that they are not all the same head units or are you saying that each is programmed differently at plant and you get what you get, or are you saying that it comes pre programmed from a factory and then installed in the truck? Belleve it or not this is a very very popular question!

I am not sure what you mean by "head unit" This system does not have a "head unit". To upgrade an IO5 MyLink Radio to be a IO6 NAV MyLink radio it would require a new HMI (Human Machine Interface Module), Coax Cable, an Antenna Splitter, and programming to the Tuner, HMI, and VCIM

i use the on star system, it just shows an arrow on your screen if you are gonna make a right or left and shows how close to the turn your getting put thats it, very basic plus the voice telling you that a turn is comming up. It also shows the arrow on the little screen between the gauge clusters

That will go away when your 6 month onstar trial ends...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Archived