Honest Review after 1 1/2 months & 2,500 miles...

First off, I guess some would say that I am biased since I am employed by a dealership, but that said, we carry all of the Big 3 at our various locations and I have owned the majority. I am gonna fire back at a couple of posts in different threads where folks have bashed the new 14's. I have even been a little negative myself at the start, but that has changed for the most part. Some of the 07-13 owners seem to think that their body style trucks are superior to these. That is an absolute joke to even think that unless you haven't had the pleasure of spending some time behind the wheel of one these new 14's. I always thought that the GMC was the better looking of the two from 07 - 13' but now I think Chevy may have come out on top although the GMC is growing on me. I switched from GM when the 07' trucks were introduced and went into a 2007 F-150 FX4 supercrew 5.4 v8 from my 2005 Silverado 1500 crew cab 5.3. It was a nice truck with awful fuel mileage and a horrendous ride over anything but mostly perfect pavement. It seems funny that the 2014 F-150 interior looks almost exactly like the 2007 and they still ride about the same too. Amazing that that many diehards keep buying them. After falling on some financial hard times, I sold the F-150 and drove junk for a few years until buying a new 2011 Ram 1500 crew cab Hemi Outdoosman model. I was so unimpressed with the 07' GM trucks with their all plastic hard interior, lack of room, multiple riveted rear bumper, AFM engine system and mostly everything about them that I felt like GM had really backed up from where the 1999-2006 trucks had evolved to. The 1988-1998 CK trucks had set the benchmark and the 1999 really improved upon it only to regress in 2007. Back to my story...I love the look of the Ram, the interior, roominess, the ride is absolutely the best and the power is awesome. Now for the bad part, the transmission was the worst problem that I have ever had in a truck from it's growling converter to the clunking when it shifts to the hunting for gears constantly. The multi displacement system felt very annoying and the fit and overall finish was awful too. I finally got sick of keeping it in the shop and looked at the F-150's again only to see that it looked old in the tooth except for the HID projector headlights and the nice 22" wheels that the Limited has. I really loved the Ram updated interior and the 8 speed tranny, but with their lack of warranty repairs and difficulty in trying to get the warranty to fix it, I can't buy another until they get a new direction or new ownership. I still like them, just not gonna deal with reliability.

I had been looking at the 14' Silverado/Sierra from as far back as I can remember the hype coming out. I waited to get exactly what I wanted in an LTZ Z-71 crew cab loaded out. I will say that this is by far the best truck that GM has produced to date! I wanted to wait for the 6.2v8, but I was not interested in the extra cost and premium fuel requirment. I got tired of my 16 mpg average of my old Ram Hemi and the 20+ mpg of the GM trucks really made me take notice. I test drove about a half dozen and was able to get from 21-24mpg consistently which is saving me a nice wad of cash each week! The interior is now top notch and the High Country promises to be on par with the Ram Longhorn and the King Ranch. My LTZ is awesome in the interior dept. in it's own respect. A few things I don't understand that this truck doesn't have for the price is as follows: push button start, proximity keyless enty,rain sense wipers, active headlight dimming & rear heated seats. Ram has these and included a little cheaper overall. As for the mechanical side of things, I think that the 5.3 needed to be pushed up just a tad more to match the Hemi & Ecoboost, but it's a plenty so far, just rather have more than not enough. The trans shidts as smooth and authoritive as any luxury brand and beats the other manufacturers hands down. I wish we had more gears too, but let's see how that works for the Ram boys for a while and then learn from them. I did like the floor shifter, but it was a waste of space too, so either way I reckon. The ride could be better, but it is a more capable truck for towing and coils can't match that. Guess a model tailored toward that would be a nice option for a premium ride package. The AFM 4 to 8 mode is seamless and hardly noticeable compared to the Ram and previous GM truck for that matter. The fit and finish could also take just a tad of improvement since I have noticed a couple of flaws, but it will be repaired I was told without fuss. The paint sucks just like every other manufacturer, so it's a tie here. Clearcoat should not scratch as easy as it does and so on. Like I said before I've worked with all three brands and this is the best right now with no questions. It may cost a little more, but you have to pay for a premium product when it first hits the market. If Fiat would get it's act together and take better care of it's attention to detail and stand behind the products better, they would make it a hard bet to choose. Ford is just out of the running, but again, It must be like John Deere tractors or something like a cult following that I just don't understand. LOL! As for Toyota & Nissan, I just wish they would get over it and quit wasting their time because they will never be in the same arena of the BIG 3 truck makers. They should stick to their compact trucks which they are king in and their cars. I am sorry if I have offended any of you, but working in the auto industry for over 25 years and seeing almost every vehicle you can imagine, I tend to understand and can be pretty accurate on my observations. Your feedback is appreciated!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far my 2014 LTZ with every option except for the lane departure (did not want) is a great truck! I have 1600 miles on it and except for a squeaky drivers seat the dealer fixed I have had no problems with it. I have noticed if you use the midgrade or premium fuel it does run smother and has a lot more power. I am only getting 13 MPG but that is the same as my 2011 and 2013s that I have owned. I do have a lead foot though! I am extremely pleased with this truck and it is night and day better compared to the old model which I thought was a great truck in itself.

Agree... 2013 isn't near the same league as the 2014... Not even the same sport. The only thing I can complain about it is the transmission. I'm still having a hard time getting used to it. Hopefully some of the software updates will help

For the most part I agree with your assessment. I actually decided to buy a Ford 150 Eco Boost last year and kept test driving one hoping I could warm up to the poor handling and poor ride. The turbo lag isn't bad but it's there and EPA fuel economy is not realistic under normal driving conditions. Turbo issues are apparently something of a concern. Ford My Touch is a mess but built by Microsoft need I say more. Ford has some visual appeal and a quality build but it's years behind in many other ways.

My last truck was a Tundra and I don't have much bad to say about it-but they are more car like than truck. Toyota gave it some power but too tall of gears and no useable torque. Towing is not fun although you can get by OK until you hit a hill or curves.

GM did a nice job on the things that matter most and it's almost funny to see the negative comments from people that don't own one. Column shift, carpet fender wells, etc.

Agree... 2013 isn't near the same league as the 2014... Not even the same sport. The only thing I can complain about it is the transmission. I'm still having a hard time getting used to it. Hopefully some of the software updates will help

+1

I like a lot of what you said. I think for the price not including HID was big mistake as well. And for the 07-13 guys you are right, I owned a 07 and the truck is your right not in the same league, if GM kept making that old body style they would have went out business. My 07 was junk but equate that to being a lemon. But overall the tacky bulky plastic interior the seat that collected every bit of dust, to the weird 3 peice bumper etc.

But where I dont know if I agree with you is on the ford I just got out of an 11 Ecoboost and there are some things that are lacking but a lot of it has to do with being 3 model years older. Steering was about the same, ride is not as smooth as the new chevy but again your talking 3 model years newer. But for an older truck the ford had many things that were of better quality the seats were more of a quality build with the thick canvas feel, the back bench seat was more stout, I am kind of let down on the chevy back seat, its about 2in thick and looks cheap. The new chevy interior is great and definitely more modern, but if you look at build quality the the ford still had better imprinted plastic. On MPG my eco got just under 15 and when I put a drop in K&N I got just shy of 17 avg and 21 HWY, now thats impressive for a 3.73 geared truck that can haul 11,300lbs. I look at this way as well the 11 Ford had the 6spd tranny already, built in mud flaps, a lot of things chevy is now adding. Now if I were to compare new models to new models I think chevy might again be on top or close to it. Thing is comparing a new chevy to a new ford also really isnt fair, Ford hasnt gone through a major redesign since 2011 this year was a refresh. My fear is the next ford is going to incorporate somethings off the Atlas and is going stomp the other two. At the detroit auto show I heard GM released their new 14 and Ford pulled the covers of the atlas and the GM reps were sitting there twittling thumbs.

Ive said it multiple times chevy not coming out with a new engine platform and 'redesigning" the 5.3 to have less HP than the hemi and ford I think is going to haunt them. In the end great truck and I love it so far, but if were be honest honest chevy really just matched what the competition was already offering or slightly improved on a few things.

Good review, I've always had Chevy trucks but hated the 07-13's. I drove Ram's in that time period. Anybody that claims the 07-13 1500's were better than the competition has obvious blind brand loyalty. They really stepped it up for 2014. Let's just hope they keep improving them and do some mid cycle refreshes so the competition doesn't pass them by again.

Good review, I've always had Chevy trucks but hated the 07-13's. I drove Ram's in that time period. Anybody that claims the 07-13 1500's were better than the competition has obvious blind brand loyalty. They really stepped it up for 2014. Let's just hope they keep improving them and do some mid cycle refreshes so the competition doesn't pass them by again.

They were better if you bought the Denali that's about it. I too believe the next Ford will be sick, but LOL @ the ecoboost it's all good for the parking lot crowd but we'll see over time how they perform on the work site.

I'm not concerned about the power in my 5.3, I can tell it gets a boost just from running 93 stock, and I bet a 30whp gain from a tune alone is feasible.

They were better if you bought the Denali that's about it. I too believe the next Ford will be sick, but LOL @ the ecoboost it's all good for the parking lot crowd but we'll see over time how they perform on the work site.

I'm not concerned about the power in my 5.3, I can tell it gets a boost just from running 93 stock, and I bet a 30whp gain from a tune alone is feasible.

Longevity is set to be seen, but I just got out of the Ecoboost and the lol is at te 5.3 and I towed 9500lbs with that eco far from a grocery getter.

Longevity is set to be seen, but I just got out of the Ecoboost and the lol is at te 5.3 and I towed 9500lbs with that eco far from a grocery getter.

Those itty bitty snails will burn themselves up after 100,000 miles of hard work/towing/payloads I can assure you that engine is not meant to be idling for a couple hours @ a Time during the summer on a. Job site in 90 degree weather.

I can also assure you a tune alone will beat those power figures from the ecoboost on the GM 5.3, and while I know a tune will net quite a bit more from the ecoboost it won't be nearly as reliable and you'll have to upgrade the intercooler.

I like a lot of what you said. I think for the price not including HID was big mistake as well. And for the 07-13 guys you are right, I owned a 07 and the truck is your right not in the same league, if GM kept making that old body style they would have went out business. My 07 was junk but equate that to being a lemon. But overall the tacky bulky plastic interior the seat that collected every bit of dust, to the weird 3 peice bumper etc.

But where I dont know if I agree with you is on the ford I just got out of an 11 Ecoboost and there are some things that are lacking but a lot of it has to do with being 3 model years older. Steering was about the same, ride is not as smooth as the new chevy but again your talking 3 model years newer. But for an older truck the ford had many things that were of better quality the seats were more of a quality build with the thick canvas feel, the back bench seat was more stout, I am kind of let down on the chevy back seat, its about 2in thick and looks cheap. The new chevy interior is great and definitely more modern, but if you look at build quality the the ford still had better imprinted plastic. On MPG my eco got just under 15 and when I put a drop in K&N I got just shy of 17 avg and 21 HWY, now thats impressive for a 3.73 geared truck that can haul 11,300lbs. I look at this way as well the 11 Ford had the 6spd tranny already, built in mud flaps, a lot of things chevy is now adding. Now if I were to compare new models to new models I think chevy might again be on top or close to it. Thing is comparing a new chevy to a new ford also really isnt fair, Ford hasnt gone through a major redesign since 2011 this year was a refresh. My fear is the next ford is going to incorporate somethings off the Atlas and is going stomp the other two. At the detroit auto show I heard GM released their new 14 and Ford pulled the covers of the atlas and the GM reps were sitting there twittling thumbs.

Ive said it multiple times chevy not coming out with a new engine platform and 'redesigning" the 5.3 to have less HP than the hemi and ford I think is going to haunt them. In the end great truck and I love it so far, but if were be honest honest chevy really just matched what the competition was already offering or slightly improved on a few things.

I would argue that the 5.3L IS a NEW engine platform, it just happens to have a similar displacement.

Those itty bitty snails will burn themselves up after 100,000 miles of hard work/towing/payloads I can assure you that engine is not meant to be idling for a couple hours @ a Time during the summer on a. Job site in 90 degree weather.

I can also assure you a tune alone will beat those power figures from the ecoboost on the GM 5.3, and while I know a tune will net quite a bit more from the ecoboost it won't be nearly as reliable and you'll have to upgrade the intercooler.

First off Im not getting into a brand war, I just bought chevy and love it. But when your talking nuts and bolts that eco is impressive, hook 9500lbs to that 5.3 cruise set at 68 and your not going to get 13mpg towing 600 miles cruising at 2k rpm and less, you just wont.

Your right who knows after 100k, they might nuke. But you do know Ford is going to make them last at least 60k, I don't keep vehicles more than 3-5 years, and the average American doesn't keep a vehicle more than 7 years, so a lot of what ifs, and we could say that about the new 5.3 as well. But you are right nobody knows.

And what manufacture is going to design an engine to kill its self after idling for only 2 hours in 90 degree heat even after repeated use, really come on. The trip I took when towing that 9500 boat it was 100 degree plus and no issues. Its not like the turbos are spooling at idle.

And you might be right on the tune and are actually probably right. But comparing aftermarket mods to a stock truck is illogical argument. You have to keep the argument to stock out of the box. saying I can add this and add that, ok well true, but now you have to add something to beat something that is already beating you straight from the factory. I can say with a tune and exhaust I can beat a 6.2l, but what am I proving.

My only argument is GM missed the boat on this, ford outsells any other power train 2-1 with these in there trucks for like the last 2-3 years, says something. Not saying its for everybody, but try one out towing sometime, your mind will change

I would argue that the 5.3L IS a NEW engine platform, it just happens to have a similar displacement.

your right it is new. But from a marketing stand point does it really look new? Your talking a little more horse and torque of which still puts you below whats already out there, personally that's a bad business decision

Archived