2008 silverado DRL and Auto headlights disable?

Well ive asked a few officers ive seen around the city while workin an they said there isn't a problem so long as im not "abusing it" i.e actually driving with them off.. so idk?

An my insurance isn't bothered buy it an doesn't change anything on my stuff so..?

But im just curious as to if the sensor on the dash controls other stuff or just the head lights. cant seem to find it online.. :(

[quote name="the_canadian" post="1380533" timestamp="

I would like to disable them so they cant turn on when i drive at night if i dont want them to. I want to control whether or not they turn on by turning the knob on or off

I wasn't trying to be rude but it was about what you said here. I just don't see why it bothers you for them to come on automatically. Besides they shut off automatically too. Sorry if you took it to be rude, I was just meaning stay safe.

I wasn't trying to be rude but it was about what you said here. I just don't see why it bothers you for them to come on automatically. Besides they shut off automatically too. Sorry if you took it to be rude, I was just meaning stay safe.

That was the only way i could kind of explained my self, if you go through the other posts you'll see i was having problems with explaining the situation.

My truck was built in Canada and u can't turn my lights off either it's really annoying I'd like to shut mine off too. The only way to shut them off is if I start the truck while parking brake is on.

Sent from your truck

My truck was built in Canada and u can't turn my lights off either it's really annoying I'd like to shut mine off too. The only way to shut them off is if I start the truck while parking brake is on.

Sent from your truck

Well once i figure it out ill pass on the info to you. Though most likely might be different cause of year if your driving an 06.

The light sensor on the dash also serves as the HVAC sunlight sensor. Also unplugging it will make it think it's night and keep the headlights on. It's designed to default to headlights on if the sensor fails.

You said the lights will turn off if you're stopped. You said you want them off while the truck is moving, at night.

I don't see why you would???

Put a kill switch right before the headlights if you want it that bad. They'll stay off whether the main switch is on or not. Should accomplish what you want without having to mess with the factory switch.

Or better yet find a location for your still/meth lab where people can't see your lights. :ninja:

Edited by kstruckcountry

• 3 years later...

I've read quite a few posts about putting in resistors or removing sensors and trying to make this subject way more complicated than it needs to be. I wanted to share the success I had with my truck that took less time to disable the automatic features than writing this post will take.

Simply remove the light switch panel/housing from your dash and disconnect the plugs going into the back of each switch. Take the assembly inside into some good light and take apart the headlight switch from the housing. Next take apart the switch itself being careful not to pry too deep and pop the releases (the circuit board is just under this cover). Once open you'll see a small coiled spring in one of the corners. Lift it up and it pops right out. Reassemble everything and you're done. Less than 5 minutes and your lights operate the way lights used to work....turn the switch if you want them to come on. You can still move the switch to auto if you want as well but now they will stay in the off position if that's where you want them.

• 6 years later...

My problem with my 2008 Silverado and DRL is it dims the dash cluster to the point I can't read the speedo.  With my LTX livery and the little light control knob, I have to reach down and manually turn off DRL to see any gauges.