Additional Bed Lights

Ok, so I ordered my GMC with the bed lights, but now that I installed an Undercover Flex cover, it is somewhat dark towards the front. The factory LED bed lights are mounted back of the wheel wells. I just ordered two more LED bed lights (like the factory ones) from GMC and plan to mount them in front of the wheel well to light up the front part of the bed. I also plan to install a push button switch located just inside of the tailgate so I can turn the lights on/off back there without having to turn them on in the cab of the truck, and they will work whether the truck is running or not. Anyone try anything like this yet? Just wondering before I get started. Thanks.

Sounds like a worthwhile project. You going to parallel the switches so either can operate the lights? A couple of LEDs should be able to ride on the same circuit just fine I would think (?).

Should be easy to find a switch that is watertight I think.

Someone else on here was going to do something similar. I never did see anything further on it.

If you do this successfully, share with the forum. I know I would like to try it. Take pics if you can.

Mike

Ok, so I ordered my GMC with the bed lights, but now that I installed an Undercover Flex cover, it is somewhat dark towards the front. The factory LED bed lights are mounted back of the wheel wells. I just ordered two more LED bed lights (like the factory ones) from GMC and plan to mount them in front of the wheel well to light up the front part of the bed. I also plan to install a push button switch located just inside of the tailgate so I can turn the lights on/off back there without having to turn them on in the cab of the truck, and they will work whether the truck is running or not. Anyone try anything like this yet? Just wondering before I get started. Thanks.

SEARCH! SEARCH! SEARCH!

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/153192-under-rail-led-lighting/

Sounds like a worthwhile project. You going to parallel the switches so either can operate the lights? A couple of LEDs should be able to ride on the same circuit just fine I would think (?).

Should be easy to find a switch that is watertight I think.

I have found a waterproof switch to use. At this point, don't think I will use both of the switches to turn on/off. Don't know what advantage that would be. Will let you know what I decide and how I do it.

I am going to attempt to wire them up using a door jamb switch from an older GM car, so when the tailgate is opened, they will illuminate.

Yeah, I thought about this, but I frequently have my tailgate down hauling something and I don't want the light on all the time. I guess I could use a switch to turn it off during those times. I guess we will see. Hopefully, I can do this next week when the lights come in.

Someone else on here was going to do something similar. I never did see anything further on it.

If you do this successfully, share with the forum. I know I would like to try it. Take pics if you can.

Mike

I plan to take some pics and explain it. Hopefully, it won't be too involved of a project. I don't think it will. ANyone know how I post pics to this sight? Looking at this, I think I figured out how to post a pic of my truck along with my posts......

Archived