Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Due to the geometry of a headlight system, an LED replacement for a halogen bulb will always be a bit of a compromise and a HID system will most likely always be "better". A HID's "filament" can be placed in the exact spot where the original halogen filament was. The light will be much brighter, but the beam pattern is more or less identical to the stock system.

Since the light source in an LED bulb can't be in the exact same spot as the filament, there will always be some disruption to the light pattern... just look at the vertical dark band on the headlight housing when an LED bulb is installed... When I had the COB style bulb with light closer to a 360 degree pattern, the beam pattern was very even with no light and dark spots. HOWEVER, distance suffered severely to the point of being dangerous. Solving one problem caused another more severe one. That's why I'm convinced that a COB-style bulb is not the solution.

In my mind, the appeal of some sort of LED bulb over HID is:

- essentially plug and play

- no rewiring required.

- becoming less expensive

- long bulb life (likely never need to change)

- brighter than halogen (usually)

The disadvantage of LED over HID is:

- hit and miss beam pattern and light/dark areas

- varying light output (lumens ranging from 2000-6000 ). Some LEDs are not much brighter than a stock 9012 bulb (around 1900 lumens IIRC)

- some may be difficult to adjust (3-9 o'clock position, etc)

Right now, I'm accepting the limitations of LEDs, especially in conjunction with my Rigid DOT fogs (BPS 4000 lumen+Ridid DOT fogs = good to great solution)

Man, my brain is cramping from trying to figure out what to do with the crap headlights of my truck. Can you post links to where you bought all the items that you are using? I tried to get GM to help me out with this issue, but to no avail. Thanks.

• Like 1

I had bought the TRS 2014 Sierra Bi-Xenon FX-R Stage III Kit a while back but never installed. Instead choose to go LED recently and really like it.

If anyone is interested in this kit (never opened), let me know.

Kit has 9006 HD Relay; Capacitor Link; FX-R 3.0 (2.5" Lens/LHD) D2S Morimoto 3Five DSP; 35W D2S 3Five 5,000K lights; & white 80mm LED Rings.

I had bought the TRS 2014 Sierra Bi-Xenon FX-R Stage III Kit a while back but never installed. Instead choose to go LED recently and really like it.

If anyone is interested in this kit (never opened), let me know.

Kit has 9006 HD Relay; Capacitor Link; FX-R 3.0 (2.5" Lens/LHD) D2S Morimoto 3Five DSP; 35W D2S 3Five 5,000K lights; & white 80mm LED Rings.

They now make a Sierra and Silverado kits for HID, 9012 (GMC) or 9011 (Chevy) with all the stuff you need and a capacitor setup to keep the lights from flickering. I am running their Sierra kit in mine and other than not running the wires right the first time the install was a breeze.

Man, my brain is cramping from trying to figure out what to do with the crap headlights of my truck. Can you post links to where you bought all the items that you are using? I tried to get GM to help me out with this issue, but to no avail. Thanks.

Here is what I used for a while before going HID, not a bad kit, quick install and don't need the canbus stuff. Is prone to overheating if the heat strips are not spread out enough. Still didn't give enough light for my liking, but here is their link: http://www.xenondepot.com/9012-LED-headlight-kit-p/9012-led-hl.htm

Edited by theatasigma

Some install pics:

PICT0534.JPG

That's where I ended up putting the collar. If you'll notice, one of the cooling fins is an arrow--when that is pointed up after installation, the blade will be horizontal. With the collar as shown, the arrow will be at 90 degrees, making the blade vertical. For depth, I ended up screwing the collar all the way on until it stopped, then unscrewing it about two and a half full turns until oriented as shown. Unscrewing it farther will give a wider beam pattern and a cutoff that looks a bit cleaner, but as the pattern gets too wide it starts to have a dim "gap" in the center. I suggest playing with different settings until you're satisfied though, don't just take my word for it--production tolerances in the projectors may call for different settings as well.

PICT0535.JPG

They don't come with a grommet, I stuck that one on where it eventually goes through the cover. I wish they had given another inch or two of line between the box and bulb as it's tight making those fit.

The new cover giving the bulb space:

PICT0532.JPG

Installed:

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0008.JPG

With the cover on:

PICT0538.JPG

I double-sided taped the control box in that spot. Once I'm sure I'm done messing with them I'll glob some silicone or something into the grommet to seal up the hole completely. That's it, very plug and play.

Did I forget to mention they look pretty good?

PICT0539.JPG

PICT0540.JPG

PICT0578.JPG

PICT0572.JPG

PICT0575.JPG

These are the 6000K. My PIAA LED fogs are also supposed to be 6000K and I'd say these headlamps are a bit whiter than those, but the stock LED signature lights are a bit more yellow. These are a very nice white color.

Where did you get the deeper dust covers?

• Like 2

They now make a Sierra and Silverado kits for HID, 9012 (GMC) or 9011 (Chevy) with all the stuff you need and a capacitor setup to keep the lights from flickering. I am running their Sierra kit in mine and other than not running the wires right the first time the install was a breeze.

Can you link this kit? I'm not seeing it on their site.

I finally got around to snapping a couple of pictures of the BPS 4000 limen bulbs and Rigid foglights. Keep in mind that I was parked a little close to a local crest so the distance the lights travel are actually better than shown. The fogs are SAE (DOT approved) ones... part 50481). The bulbs are the 9012 G7 Lumileds from bpsperformance.com

post-155774-0-36165500-1461084863_thumb.jpg

Edited by electroflier
  • Like 1

Not entirely since the adjustment collar is stripped. That's exactly my thought too...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

So I contacted BPS and there thought is that the supplied allen key is stripped. Not the set screw. I'll let you all know.

Edited by Sierra Jon

So I contacted BPS and there thought is that the supplied allen key is stripped. Not the set screw. I'll let you all know.

FYI - it was the crappy allen key, not the adjustable collar. Now that I have it all adjusted properly I am impressed with the BPS bulbs. Still not as intense as HID but far better than stock and a matching color to my 5k LED fogs.

Focusing the bulbs at exactly 3 and 9 us extremely important.

Short video on BPS bulbs. They show then being focused at the end.

Edited by Sierra Jon

Where did you get the deeper dust covers?

I made them. I have some more available for sale if anybody wants them. Since I've now switched to HID's the bulbs I used above are also available if anybody wants them. Proven reliability and pretty good performance, plug and play.

I made them. I have some more available for sale if anybody wants them. Since I've now switched to HID's the bulbs I used above are also available if anybody wants them. Proven reliability and pretty good performance, plug and play.

I sent you a PM

Jon 3D printer? That's bad@$$

Experience with these?

OPT7 Boltzen AC CANbus HID Kit • 5x Brighter - 6x Longer Life - All Colors and Sizes • Simple DIY Install - 2 Yr Warranty - Bulbs and Ballasts [9012 - 5K Pure White Xenon Light] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UIVFOWU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_R-vixb7B2FR84

Sent from my iPhone