Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

He has an SLE and the headlight is the DRL and they run at a lower voltage when being used as a DRL.

Do we know if on an SLE if the voltage is actually reduced for the DRL mode on the headlights?

With the stock bulbs it appears to me that the DRL's and low beam lights are the same brightness.

Do we know if on an SLE if the voltage is actually reduced for the DRL mode on the headlights?

With the stock bulbs it appears to me that the DRL's and low beam lights are the same brightness.

it has 2 modes. drl which is low wattage and full wattage. The highbeam is a seperate fuction and does not use the bulb. The highbeam is a solenoid in the projector that lifts the leveling plate.

it has 2 modes. drl which is low wattage and full wattage. The highbeam is a seperate fuction and does not use the bulb. The highbeam is a solenoid in the projector that lifts the leveling plate.

Thanks for the information! I was aware of the highbeam operation but not of the drl operation.

So if I go with an LED headlight kit , such as from BPS Performance, anything to be concerned with if the LED bulbs operate at the lower wattage?

Thanks for the information! I was aware of the highbeam operation but not of the drl operation.

So if I go with an LED headlight kit , such as from BPS Performance, anything to be concerned with if the LED bulbs operate at the lower wattage?

Depends entirely on the bulb. Mine worked fine in DRL mode before I added Gen5DIY harness however some bulbs may not.

My suggestion is only use a bulb that is made using Philips LumiLED chips/diode. They will cost more but you do not want cheap LED headlamps. Mine cost around $200 USD, I also changed the Projectors for another $150 which was well worth it. Only a few companies make actual LED's but there are a ton of company that make bulbs using these LEDs. I vote to stay away form anything using Cree after all you get what you pay for.

BPS Performance describes their kit as :

Our new G7 LED Bulbs uses the latest Philips Lumileds LUXEON ZES Chips

• DC12-24V / 8000 Lumens/50W (4000 Lumens/25W per Bulbs) / Waterproof IP65 / Color 6500K
  • 100% Constructed of Aviation Aluminium 6063 for best overall heat control
  • Concept Heatsink to help stabilizing heat dissipation
  • 30000+ Hours Lifespan

• DC12-24V / 8000 Lumens/50W (4000 Lumens/25W per Bulbs) / Waterproof IP65 / Color 6500K
  • 30000+ Hours Lifespan

Yup those would be good LED chips.

• 30000+ Hours Lifespan

Ok so ..... drop in replacement headlight bulb?

Sent from my iPhone

• 2 weeks later...

BPS on amazon mentions needing a Canbus Module for the 9012 for the Sierra. Anyone know whether or not the Canbus is needed?

The Canbus module is only needed if you have a vehicle which uses the main headlight as your daytime running lights. (DRL) If you have LED DRLs then you don't need the Canbus.

The Canbus module is only needed if you have a vehicle which uses the main headlight as your daytime running lights. (DRL) If you have LED DRLs then you don't need the Canbus.

This is not true. I needed the CANBUS or my lights would shut off when I started the truck. They would work fine in "ignition on" position but not while the truck was running. 2014 Sierra SLT.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

This is not true. I needed the CANBUS or my lights would shut off when I started the truck. They would work fine in "ignition on" position but not while the truck was running. 2014 Sierra SLT.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I've got a 14' SLT as well and want to go the LED route. When ordering the BPS kit what all do I need?

Also, what fog's did you get to match? Thanks in advance! (links to purchase would be great too)