Gas Mileage with max tow vs without

I currently have a 99 chevy 2500 with the 6.0 and 4.10 gears. I love the way the gearing feels and the power of the 6.0. Since the new 5.3s are more power than my 99 6.0 I think I would be fine with the 5.3. But for the gearing, I am curious if the mpg changes if I got the max tow 5.3 vs without.

I'm all about additional gearing as well. Gearing always helps with engine load so I wouldn't be surprised if the Max Tow had much effect if any on the mpg's. With the weight of a truck and higher powerband of the gen III, IV, & V engines the additional gearing is always a great choice.

If you tow trailers heavier than say 4k lbs frequently, or if you drive your truck mostly around town, definitely get lower gearing. You will pay some mileage penalty at highway speeds, but not in stop and go driving.

I tend to take the back roads or the scenic route to work instead of the highway so sounds like a good fit. Im just concerned if I decide to take a travel trailer across country or just driving empty across country, is the mpg gonna take that big a hit?

Archived