CFL and Fluorescent to LED

To hell with the T8s I still use T12s. :) They last longer, and the magnetic ballasts last 10 times longer than the stupid electronic crap that T8s run off of. That being said, LEDs are too crispy white for my taste. I'll wait a few more years for technology to evolve more and prices to become more practical.

I use 4100K Cool White and 3000k Warm White colors. Anything above 4100K gives me a headache.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a T12 guy in the garage too.

I have started buying the screw bulbs in LED for around the house. Just this last Saturday, I bought 6 from Costco. 2 went into the garage door opener that has had burned out bulbs for years and the wife has bitched it for as long. I have one in the den table lamp and will change out the porch lights next. My plan is to go entirely LED in the screw sockets quickly.

The cheap CFLs were lousy life and lousy light IMO. What a scam.

I'm a T12 guy in the garage too.

I have started buying the screw bulbs in LED for around the house. Just this last Saturday, I bought 6 from Costco. 2 went into the garage door opener that has had burned out bulbs for years and the wife has bitched it for as long. I have one in the den table lamp and will change out the porch lights next. My plan is to go entirely LED in the screw sockets quickly.

The cheap CFLs were lousy life and lousy light IMO. What a scam.

I have been doing that myself. My porch and front lights on the house are LED. One standard and 6 candelabra LED bulbs. My small hallway from garage to kitchen. 2 Philips 60w equivalent in 5000k. My living room has 4 40w equivalent in 5000k, bathroom vanity has 4 60w equivalent in 5000k. Then the garage has LED Philips T8's in I think 4100k.

I hit my high use areas first. My back bedroom and dining room will probably be the last in my house to be changed

My wife lays in bed reading a lot. I need to change out her nightstand lights next.

Once those are done, I'm going to look into the MR16 bulbs in several places from the living room to the den and a spare room.

I've been replacing various CFL and incandescent bulbs around the house with LEDs. I bought the first ones at Home Depot, but found out that if they go bad after 30 days, there's no way to cost effective way to warranty them. I've bought the rest at Costco and the 2-3 that have died prematurely were exchanged with no questions asked.

I have a couple months on a majority of the Philips bulbs I got from Home Depot. Some have 6 months, and 4 of them have over a year and a half

• 3 weeks later...

Don't put LED's in your garage, LED lights emit some radio waves that actually interfere with garage door openers. Plenty of people have installed LED's in the garage, only to find out that the garage door opener will not work afterwards due to radio wave interference.

The company I work for just had 5 bulb T5 housings with reflectors installed in our shop. They are about 20 - 25 feet up off the ground, and they give off a TON of light. That's how I plan to do my garage next year.

Don't put LED's in your garage, LED lights emit some radio waves that actually interfere with garage door openers. Plenty of people have installed LED's in the garage, only to find out that the garage door opener will not work afterwards due to radio wave interference.

The company I work for just had 5 bulb T5 housings with reflectors installed in our shop. They are about 20 - 25 feet up off the ground, and they give off a TON of light. That's how I plan to do my garage next year.

No issues with my opener and the LEDs.

• 1 month later...

We have replaced several lights with LED varieties. Still using fluorescent for all long tube fixtures. I really like the LED's. After replacing a few, we decided to start replacing most of the lights with LED's.

Archived