Replacement Key and Remote

Has anyone had to replace or get another key (laser cut) or remote for their new truck? I was wondering the cost for a new key and remote which includes programing etc.. The key should be easy to program but why does it states in the manual that the dealer can only program the remote? I was wondering how much it is to program the remote and if there is special equipment to do so. I would like another complete set but it seems it would cost a lot of money to do so.

I am wondering what is the secret about programing the remote. Manual claims the dealer has to do it. I was able to do it on other older trucks.

I got a verbal quote for the remote is about $75 plus programing cost which could run up to $45. I could not get a firm answer. Key ($80 plus) remote ($75 plus) and programing ($45 ?) plus tax could cost over $200 (estimate) for a complete set.

I just wondering if anyone did purchase a complete set and what was the cost.

Programming the key fob and the actual key probably has to be done in tandem with proprietary GM software while the truck is hooked up to a computer.

That's why you have to do it at the dealer. The keys are 100x harder to copy now which is a security feature.

• Like 1

I am wondering what is the secret about programing the remote. Manual claims the dealer has to do it. I was able to do it on other older trucks.

I got a verbal quote for the remote is about $75 plus programing cost which could run up to $45. I could not get a firm answer. Key ($80 plus) remote ($75 plus) and programing ($45 ?) plus tax could cost over $200 (estimate) for a complete set.

I just wondering if anyone did purchase a complete set and what was the cost.

PMattras...I have a brand new, unopened, Chevrolet remote start fob for $50, free shipping, if you are interested. pm me.

nevadaguy.

Nevadaguy:

Girl friend just picked one up and had it program today while she was at the garage.

Thank you but sorry I already have one.

Maybe someone else might need one after reading this post.

The key programming is easy. Just insert a currently working key, turn to run (do not start). Turn off, remove key and immediatly insert new key and turn to run. Done. Should start now.

I too had a spare OEM key cut at the dealer. Part of my sales package. I didn't press with a remote as I can still enter the truck with out it. A 3rd key has saved me a couple of times.

The remotes are plentiful on eBay.

Will

Since I get a lot of work completed by this garage, they programed the remote for free. I wasn't there so I never followed up on the actual cost.

• 3 weeks later...

I

Since I have the cheap seats I have the cheap fob. It is difficult to tell when it's working especially when activating the remote start. Does the better fob have improved feedback?

I have a loaded out slt and the remote looks like it came from toys r us. Would love to hear there is a better remote???