Replacement Key and Remote

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Got a 3rd key for my 2014, cost me 29.00 cut from my dealer. Programmed it by starting my truck with orig key, turned truck off, then started truck with new key. DIC then showed that there were 3 keys programmed for this truck. I asked about a 3rd black remote and was quoted 100 for remote and 49.00 for programming. I would like to get LTZ chrome trimmed remotes.

tik-gm-86.jpg

tik-chv-14.jpg

You can find oodles of ltz remotes on eBay for under 60 bucks.

Actually just bought one a minute ago for 19 bucks new and one last week do 10 also new. Deals are around just do a search for part number 13577770

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Edited by corwest

Does the LTZ fob program to an LT? Would they even do that if I bought one and took it in?

It's funny, when I first was given the all black fob I thought there was a piece missing on the side where the indent is. That space would look good with a colored/chrome filler piece to make it flush with the rest of the fob.

Edited by RadoRage

It's either in my pocket or in the ignition. Neither place can I or anyone else see it and admire it.

Now if I walk around twirling it around my index finger so's everyone can have a looky-loo that's a different story. But I'm not inclined to do that, so I'm saving my money for a tank of gas.

It's either in my pocket or in the ignition. Neither place can I or anyone else see it and admire it.

Now if I walk around twirling it around my index finger so's everyone can have a looky-loo that's a different story. But I'm not inclined to do that, so I'm saving my money for a tank of gas.

This is true but my truck was free so I feel like splurging on it a little

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

My stealership quoted me 34 for the key and 60 to program... I have been wanting a nice set (key and fob) and the one I have now for work since it gets thrown in my lunch box. The z71s ive had for loaners have a nicer looking smaller key. Found one online for $34 and the chrome fob for $50. My plan is to just swap out the board inside my spare fob into the chrome one's shell and avoid programing the new fob

Got a 3rd key for my 2014, cost me 29.00 cut from my dealer. Programmed it by starting my truck with orig key, turned truck off, then started truck with new key. DIC then showed that there were 3 keys programmed for this truck. I asked about a 3rd black remote and was quoted 100 for remote and 49.00 for programming. I would like to get LTZ chrome trimmed remotes.

tik-gm-86.jpg

tik-chv-14.jpg

You did the programing of a new key yourself?
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

From the Chevy service manual.

This procedure will first erase all known keyless entry transmitters. After all transmitters are erased, the procedure will begin to program keyless entry transmitters in sequential order, beginning with transmitter 1.

1. With a scan tool, access the Body Control Module Configuration/Reset Functions menu. Select Add/Replace Key Fobs.
  2. Select Erase/Program Fobs. This will erase all learned transmitters and prepare the BCM to learn new transmitters. Follow the on-screen instructions.
  3. When all the desired transmitters have been programmed, cycle the ignition from ON to OFF, exit the vehicle, and operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

• 3 weeks later...

tik-gm-86.jpg

tik-chv-14.jpg

Mike, if I read you correctly, you are saying that you can get a key and program it to your truck? But if you also want a remote, then you must buy and remote and have the remote programed by the dealer? I lost a key and remote. If this is true, I will have to buy a key, just in case, until I can find the set.

Lock & Safe shop I spoke to can cut and "clone" keys so you don't need to program them, but wast still around $100.

Say Dave, can Lock and Safe shop just cut the 2014 key? I have a Key blank. I can program the key; because I still have one key. The manual tell you how to program the key. The manual even tells you how to program the key if you don't have a key.

Where is Lock & Safe shop?

Lock & Safe shop I spoke to can cut and "clone" keys so you don't need to program them, but wast still around $100.

Say Dave, can Lock and Safe shop just cut the 2014 key? I have a Key blank. I can program the key; because I still have one key. The manual tell you how to program the key. The manual even tells you how to program the key if you don't have a key.

Where is Lock & Safe shop?

Yes, the shop did cut a blank for me that I got on eBay... although he said he was only doing it since he didn't have the correct blank in his own stock. I used Blaine Lock & Safe locally in Blaine, MN

Yes, the shop did cut a blank for me that I got on eBay... although he said he was only doing it since he didn't have the correct blank in his own stock. I used Blaine Lock & Safe locally in Blaine, MN

Thanks Dave. So If I have this right, you had the blank and he still charged you about $100 just to cut the key??

Getting a 3rd key and remote should'nt be an issue considering you can use your Onstar App to unlock your truck, start it etc..

• Like 1