Replacement Key and Remote

If they believe they owe you a set it should come ready to roll.

You know what I haven't even tried it to see if it is ready to go. Even if it's not ready I already asked my local dealer how much to program and they $45 and they need all sets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You know what I haven't even tried it to see if it is ready to go. Even if it's not ready I already asked my local dealer how much to program and they $45 and they need all sets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

So --- they know you found the second set?

• 2 weeks later...

There is nothing being worse being locked in a car.Having contact details of good locksmith provide relief in such a weird situation.When i got stuck in my car i call (*Sorry, no free ads*) and they provide me master key of my car.

Edited by 99silveradoz71

• 2 months later...

There is nothing being worse being locked in a car.Having contact details of good locksmith provide relief in such a weird situation.When i got stuck in my car i call (*Sorry, no free ads*) and they provide me master key of my car.

I wonder how much a locksmith charges to get you out of your locked vehicle . . . :rollin:

Has anyone tried the Amazon blanks on a '17? The guy at the dealer said it had to be a special laser cut key, but would most hardware stores have that machine? I bought the blanks for my '07 and it worked just fine. Same for my mom's GMC. But those weren't "laser cut" either.

Edited by Nick The Great

I received two fobs and two keys, had an extra key made at dealer for free. I would like to have a key that will just unlock the door and put in a magnetic box on the truck, and put the third extra key in the truck to start. I hunt a lot and I always feel better so long as I can get in the truck. Any suggestions.

The key programming is easy. Just insert a currently working key, turn to run (do not start). Turn off, remove key and immediatly insert new key and turn to run. Done. Should start now.

There is a whole page in the manual about this.

• 3 weeks later...

My truck will be here next week, we don't have GM dealerships here or any dealerships for that matter. Boy am I glad I told my guy to get a key and fob programmed. I must say I'm a bit intimidated by the fact that I can get locked inside my own truck. Sheesh

• 7 months later...
On 5/15/2017 at 11:08 AM, dman1458 said:

There is a whole page in the manual about this.

I had a question that I could not find an answer to on this forum. I found the answer in the manual and figured I would post here to help others in the future.

My pickup: 2016 Silverado LT

My manual: part number 23133519

Information for Keys, Doors, and Windows begins on page 32.

My negotiating skills when purchasing my used pickup were not the best, so I left the dealership with only one key and one fob.

I purchased two blanks from amazon and had them cut at a local lock smith as most of you have done ($10 per blank, $15 per cut). I used the instructions previously posted in this thread to program one of the keys, and I received the message telling me that 3 keys have been programmed. I wanted to program the next spare key but I was worried about the limit of transponder keys that could be programmed. The answer to this question was found on page 45 of the manual:

"It is possible for the immobilizer system to learn new or replacement keys. Up to eight keys can be programmed for the vehicle. To program additional keys, see Keys -> 32. To program additional transmitters, see Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system Operation -> 35."

I went a bit further to see if I would be able to program a new fob, too. Page 36 explains that up to eight transmitters can be programmed to operate with the vehicle, but instructs the owner to see the dealership for programming.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Gents, need some help here!

I lost my last keyfob last night and am locked out of the truck.  Are my only options towing the truck tot he dealer and getting a locksmith to get me into the vehicle?  Does on-star offer remote unlocking?

16 ltz 6.2

Edited by dp454so

Yes, the My Chevrolet app allows you to unlock the doors, start the truck etc....   BTW, I also have the Chevrolet skill for my Echo Dot so I can start, unlock, etc.... by voice in the house!  ‘Alexa ask Chevrolet to start my truck” etc.....

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply.  Though I don't have the echo, I like the amazon link with the app... that's handy.

I was able to get a locksmith to create me a new key and fob :)  For some reason, I thought a Chevy dealer had to do this!