I always recommend starting with 9mm. Cheaper to shoot so you will practice more. Whatever you do at the range under zero pressure in daylight hours will be more difficult when startled awake in the dark.I recommend a surefire be locked up in the gun safe with your pistol.

Semper Fi

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Revolvers absolutely can malfunction. That stupid lock Smith puts on most can lock up uncommanded, the trigger and cylinder can get out of sync and though it's unlikely you'd need to, reloading a revolver is going to be much harder under stress than an auto.

Ahmen..

Also with a Auto most people find them more comfortable to shoot.

For the guys up top toting 12ga pump, Sure a Mossberg 500/590, rem 870, or a maverick 88 would be better for HD, but remember a high round pump is 6-7 rounds, a little more difficult to mount a light to, and #1.. Is not what this post was created for. He is asking for hand gun advise.

I still stick with getting a polymer framed auto in 9x19mm that has a rail on it such as a M&P, XD, Glock 17/19/34. Cheaper to practice with, easy to reload, provide options for light mounts- because no matter what gun you have, in HD if you cant identify who is there.. you shouldn't have it drawn. All above are very reliable, relatively lightweight. For the Sig guy, very good option, only a 8 round capacity and a 1015$ MSRP. 226 is a better option for the double stack.

Ahmen..

Also with a Auto most people find them more comfortable to shoot.

For the guys up top toting 12ga pump, Sure a Mossberg 500/590, rem 870, or a maverick 88 would be better for HD, but remember a high round pump is 6-7 rounds, a little more difficult to mount a light to, and #1.. Is not what this post was created for. He is asking for hand gun advise.

I still stick with getting a polymer framed auto in 9x19mm that has a rail on it such as a M&P, XD, Glock 17/19/34. Cheaper to practice with, easy to reload, provide options for light mounts- because no matter what gun you have, in HD if you cant identify who is there.. you shouldn't have it drawn. All above are very reliable, relatively lightweight. For the Sig guy, very good option, only a 8 round capacity and a 1015$ MSRP. 226 is a better option for the double stack.

He really didn't say what he wanted it for. Seems like everyone assumed HD.

Everyone is offering HD pistol suggestions. What if he just wants a gun to plink with? Or what if he wants to shoot for accuracy and competition? There are better choices.

I have taught my kids to shoot and now my grandkids.

It is always the same.

On an auto as beginners they will not get the clip in all the way, not pull the slide back far enough or other mistakes. Many Auto's the slide is hard to pull back.

Aim and shoot and nothing happens and they wonder why.

With a revolver loading it is a visual thing. You put the bullet in and you see it in.

All guns can fail, a revolver is more fool proof.

:M16: I have used a 1911 Colt for about 35 years, both professionaly and recreationaly. They are hard to beat. In recent years I have been carrying a Kimber 1911 Super Carry Pro, which I have become very fond of. I like the custom features, the aluminum frame and the round heel, all of which make for a very nice carry gun. Colt now makes a similar gun in their XSE series. I have and would trust my life to either weapon! As for caliber, I only recomend the most effective and proven caliber of all time! The 45. I have never bought any kind of weapon to just shoot paper! Before I retired, we had a "saying" always bring enough gun! I still adhere to that advice. . :flag:

This is from post #1

I think a BB gun would work fine with that description.

Thank you for your input it is much appreciated

Ryan

FargoZ71, with the.45 you only have to hit once :)! But once to the head and two in the chest work great also. In all seriousness I think the 9mm is a good second option as you stated the extra capacity is a plus, and the lighter recoil allow it to be shot comfortably by many, I only worry about the high velocity of the 9mm round. The price point of the SIG is higher than most, but a good Kimber is in the same range, and for me I really suggest buying the best you can afford once verse trying to trade up later when dealing with firearms. All in all if possible talk to friends that have a firearm and ask if you can shoot it. Several people have asked me and when it was possible I took them out to the range to shoot. It was good when another friend had his Ruger 9mm. Having the two side by side really gave the person a feel for each gun. I do have Houge grips on mine and they make shooting really comfortable. Good luck!

Next time we head home I am going to speak with my mother in laws bf. he is a leo and has a bunch of handguns. Maybe I will take nitehawks advice and buy a paintball gun :lol:

Ryan

Excellent idea, maybe the in law bf can take you to the shooting range to try a few out to see what you like.

In my area there is one shop you can rent handguns and try a few out. That would be a good idea as well if you have a range close to help you out.

Also if you go the paintball route for HD get red paint balls, the criminals will run away thinking they were mortally wounded.

I just got a Mossburge made in Turkey 20 ga. semi auto shotgun. It is a shorter tactical gun with rails for different things. The gun has less recoil because it is a 20 ga. and an auto also, but will great for home defence. Easy to operate and shoot, best money I've spent on guns that my wife can use. Check them out!!!!

Next time we head home I am going to speak with my mother in laws bf. he is a leo and has a bunch of handguns. Maybe I will take nitehawks advice and buy a paintball gun :lol: Ryan

Definitely talk to him!!! Go out to a range with him and try the guns he has, rent any other gun your interested in. Once you find one you like practice practice practice!! Play the "What If" game in your head......it this happens, I'm going to do this!! It creates a roladex in your head for you to draw on under pressure. Remember under pressure your fine motor skills go away so Keep it Simple!!! As far as caliber goes try them out and see what you like, as previously stated the bigger the round the slower it goes, less penetration more punch. I prefer the .45 because it doesnt create the muzzle flip that the 9mm and ecspecially the .40 create. It is a smoother round and the recoil tends to be more straight back so it is easier to re-aquire the target. If its home defense, nothing scares someone more than the sound of a 12 guage forearm being racked!!! Look at the Mossberg 500 Flex, short barrel with changable forearm and butt stocks, comes with a standard buttstock and a pistol grip and has rails on the forearm so you can attach a light if you wish too!!! Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions!!!

Here is a picture of the Mossberg, you can pick them up at Walmart for under $500!!! I have the one on the bottom!!

FLEX_LANDING_PAGE3.jpg

The best gun for you will be the one that you are proficient with under stress. OP, I nor others will be able to dictate which weapons systems will work for you. We can only give you suggestions. For me, I'm very comfortable with my Kimber Custom II. .45 ACP is a nice round with good ass to it and not very snappy at all. My wife is more comfortable with our Glock 19. The 9mm round is easier for her to manage and more effective for her to get rounds on target. Yes, she can work the 1911, but she's just more comfortable with the G19. The both of us know that these are not our primary defense weapons. They are to get us to our AR15's where the both of us are very proficient with.

Basically our plan is that she would stage up in our son's room in a defensive posture to protect him while I am to clear the house. Oh, and before others start chiming in, from everything that I've read to date, the .223 Rem round makes for a very good HD weapons system. AR15's are easy to configure and easy to shoot. The .223 round has enough energy to take a bad guy out while able to loose enough energy when going through a wall that over-penetration becomes a moot point. I'll try and post up my cites so I have my evidence to back this claim up and I'm not just pulling it out of my ass.

Archived