Towing with the 5.3 V8

Throw some Timbrens back there to help take the pressure off the suspension.

I assume you use the Timbrens? I'd never seen/heard of them until I saw your post. Installation is certainly a breeze! I'll be pulling a toy hauler a handful of times per year and was considering air bags too. So you feel the Timbrens do the job? Keep the truck from squatting too much? I'm very interested. These would be the easy solution if they really do the job.

Thanks.

I don't have the Timbrens in my GMC, but will soon. There was no rush as there is about 3 feet of snow blocking the boat.

I had Timbrens in the front of my 2004 Dodge Ram 2500 when I used to plow. I didn't notice any ride quality change when they plow was not on the truck. With the plow in place the truck squatted considerably less and the ride quality improved as well.

I like them and will continue to use them.

• Like 1

If you are towing a camper, do yourself (and your truck) a favor and get a good weight distributing hitch. I use a Reese Dual Cam, but the Equalizer is also well regarded. Properly adjusted, you are redistributing the tongue weight to the front axle and back to the trailer axle. Putting heavier springs, or air bags, leaves all of the weight on the rear axle. In fact, if you read the truck receiver, you'll see that it's limited to ~500 lbs dead weight, but up to ~1100+ lbs with a WD hitch.

If you are towing a camper, do yourself (and your truck) a favor and get a good weight distributing hitch. I use a Reese Dual Cam, but the Equalizer is also well regarded. Properly adjusted, you are redistributing the tongue weight to the front axle and back to the trailer axle. Putting heavier springs, or air bags, leaves all of the weight on the rear axle. In fact, if you read the truck receiver, you'll see that it's limited to ~500 lbs dead weight, but up to ~1100+ lbs with a WD hitch.

My stepdad owns a 4 wheel drive shop and has raced off-road, desert racing, etc.. Was on Monster Garage, etc, and I asked him about getting a weight dist. hitch lastnight.. He's had more motorhomes, trailers, built trailers himself, etc.. and he said he didn't like them. When I asked him why, he said they transfer the weight to the frame of the truck and the trailer, and he didn't like that. Also, they don't twist up well off-road.

My stepdad owns a 4 wheel drive shop and has raced off-road, desert racing, etc.. Was on Monster Garage, etc, and I asked him about getting a weight dist. hitch lastnight.. He's had more motorhomes, trailers, built trailers himself, etc.. and he said he didn't like them. When I asked him why, he said they transfer the weight to the frame of the truck and the trailer, and he didn't like that. Also, they don't twist up well off-road.

isnt the point of a weight distributing hitch to distribute the weight to the trucks frame?

• Like 2

Thanks guys! I am glad to hear 5300-6000lbs is nothing for these trucks.. I know it will squat some, but I always cringe when they are squatting real low.. if it goes down real low that's not good right? I know airbags may not be mandatory for this load, but I will look into the price, as I would love for the truck/trailer to be level.

I towed my camper last weekend. It weighs right at 7000#'s/860lb tongue wt. I have the leveling kit on the front and it didn't squat my truck too bad. Make sure you have the WD hitch set up right. Tons of YouTube vids on the correct way.

Edited by benitslu

I haven't towed my toy hauler with my 14' yet but being one that has towed travel trailers for years I will agree with others that a weight distributing hitch with sway control is a must. I cringe when driving down the interstate and see guys pulling big travel trailers without a WD hitch.

I personally use the Reese dual cam. The Equalizer has great reviews, and if you want to spend a ton of cash you go with a Hensley.

Everyone is stressing the WD hitch. Isn't this a given? I have never seen anyone with a 1/2 ton tow a travel trailer without one.

I suppose it's only a given if you know that it's a given :dunno:

I know before I bought my first trailer, I had no idea what one was or what it did.

Edited by chelmer
  • Like 1

WD hitch is simply the ONLY way to go in this case. Borderline dangerous without IMO. You won't need air bags (might hurt if not set up properly) and your trailering experience will be night and day. I'm and equalizer fan, but any decent hitch will work. I like the simplicity of it and the additional ground clearance. Tucks up under the frame nicely. And everyone has said set up the WD hitch properly, but I'll stress that again. Set up wrong, it can very easily be dangerous. Case in point, light trailer, hitch too tight, takes all the weight off rear of vehicle. Get on the brakes hard and you just jack knifed.

So I am looking at maybe buying a camping trailer tomorrow. It's only been used 4 times and it's in great shape. They said emtpy it's 5300lbs. I assume up to 6000 full. My truck is a few months old and has 3200 miles, all city, couple mile trips. Still, I should probably take it easy towing for the first so many miles, right? I think the manual said 500 miles of the first towing should be taken easy to work in the motor/trans/rear for that kind of weight.

Second: It's 5300lbs with a 5 or 600 tounge weight. Is that going to make the rear of the truck squat much? Would airbags be a waste for a trailer that light? I know someone else on here said his squatted more than he liked at 8600lbs and with 30lbs in some airbags he had installed it rode level from then on.

Third: Is there anything I need to do for the trailer brakes or once I hook it up and it detects them it will activate it? Do I need to use the tow/haul button even if I am just cruising, is it something I should always have on while towing?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I worry about everything, because I have the worst luck, so now I try to cover all of my bases, the best I can.

Chris

I have this exact configuration and it pulls very well.

Reconsider your proposed tongue weight - with a 6,000 GVWR trailer you might have a tongue weight of up to 900 lbs when the travel trailer is loaded with water, propane, batteries, and gear.

Hopefully you have the integrated brake controller. It's in a convenient location and proportions perfectly as you apply the vehicle brakes.

The truck automatically detects it when you plug in the 7 pin trailer connector but it doesn't automatically engage the tow/haul mode. I always use tow/haul because it gives crisper, faster shifts.

The truck will easily pull that load up any normal paved road grade.

You'll definitely want a weight distributing (WD) hitch or the front of the truck will be pointing at the sky.

I use a Reese Dual Cam setup and the trailer tracks beautifully. You'll probably want 1200lb trunnion bars with that hitch setup.

I allow the rear of the truck to settle a bit (the truck is already raked front to rear with no load) and it drives, steers, and brakes very well.

The only minor issue you'll likely encounter is a slight "porpoising" effect on bumpy roads due to the relatively soft springs and shocks on the 1500 (vs a 2500 HD).

Watch your tranny temps on long, steep grades if it's hot- I think the truck could afford a better transmission cooler.

Thanks guys, I purchased the Airlift RideControl airbag kit because I got it for only $200 and they told me when not towing and bags are at 5psi it will still ride like stock. I started installing them *Got the upper bracket on* and noticed missing parts.. so they are overnighting them and I will finish tomorrow. All that is left is to put the bags in and run the hoses.. I will keep you guys posted on the ride. I wanted a WD hitch, but my stepdad doesn't like them, and I know he knows his stuff, however I will seek a second opinion, as I am sure you guys know what your talking about, so something is going on..