Towing with the 5.3 V8

Just wondering if there are any experiences with the new 5.3 and heavier travel trailers

or any other heavy trailers similar?

If so what gear ratio do you have?

Looking at replacing a 07 6.0 vortex max with 4:10's and a 4 speed.

with a new 14 and the 5.3 with 3:73 will it tow it as well as the 6.0 did which was

fantastic. My trailer is a 8600 lb empty travel trailer that is on a seasonal site that

I may or may not ever need to tow but want the ability to do so if needed.

I had the exact same truck that I traded in for my new '14 LTZ. I have the 3.48 gears in my new truck. I pulled a 6500 lbs trailer with it and I feel it made my old truck look like a dog. The new 5.3 is really amazing.

I had the exact same truck that I traded in for my new '14 LTZ. I have the 3.48 gears in my new truck. I pulled a 6500 lbs trailer with it and I feel it made my old truck look like a dog. The new 5.3 is really amazing.

3.48, think you mean 3.42.

Mike

I had your same setup (6.0/4:10/4sp), and I also had an 8.1/4:10/4sp, and the '07-'13 6.2/3:42/6sp, crushed the 6.0 combo, and could be compared top the 8.1 combo. I tow about 7-8K through the Appalachians.

You should be fine with the new 5.3/3:42/6sp for an occasional tow. If you needed to do it regularly then I might go new 6.2. I will be going 6.2, as I tow a lot.

I had your same setup (6.0/4:10/4sp), and I also had an 8.1/4:10/4sp, and the '07-'13 6.2/3:42/6sp, crushed the 6.0 combo, and could be compared top the 8.1 combo. I tow about 7-8K through the Appalachians.

You should be fine with the new 5.3/3:42/6sp for an occasional tow. If you needed to do it regularly then I might go new 6.2. I will be going 6.2, as I tow a lot.

If you tow alot why wouldn't you get a heavy duty? You can't physically tow any more weight in the 6.2 vs. 5.3 similarly equipped, the 6.2 will have more power by the towing capacity is still limited in the 1/2 ton platform regardless.

Just wondering if there are any experiences with the new 5.3 and heavier travel trailers

or any other heavy trailers similar?

If so what gear ratio do you have?

Looking at replacing a 07 6.0 vortex max with 4:10's and a 4 speed.

with a new 14 and the 5.3 with 3:73 will it tow it as well as the 6.0 did which was

fantastic. My trailer is a 8600 lb empty travel trailer that is on a seasonal site that

I may or may not ever need to tow but want the ability to do so if needed.

I towed a 5,000lb trailer last week for my neighbor with the new 5.3 and 3.08 gears. Put it in tow/haul mode and it pulled like nothing was back there. I was blown away by it's performance, since I don't own any trailers I got the highway gears, and honestly, I expected it to struggle. My point is, the new motor with 3.73's should pull 8600lbs like a Mack truck.

• Like 2

I towed a 5,000lb trailer last week for my neighbor with the new 5.3 and 3.08 gears. Put it in tow/haul mode and it pulled like nothing was back there. I was blown away by it's performance, since I don't own any trailers I got the highway gears, and honestly, I expected it to struggle. My point is, the new motor with 3.73's should pull 8600lbs like a Mack truck.

It will more likely pull 8,600 lbs like Mack truck will pull 86,000 lbs, i.e. they will both struggle with the load. 8,600 lbs is a lot of trailer weight for a half ton. The engine may pull it OK, but you are limited by the frame, transmission and axles.

Edited by pm26

It will more likely pull 8,600 lbs like Mack truck will pull 86,000 lbs, i.e. they will both struggle with the load. 8,600 lbs is a lot of trailer weight for a half ton. The engine may pull it OK, but you are limited by the frame, transmission and axles.

The 5.3 with 3.73's is the max trailering package. It's rated for somewhere around 11,500 lbs. It's has a stronger rear suspension and shock tuning. 8,600 lbs will be no problem.

• Like 1

I was always one who would feel if GM said I could tow 7200 pounds I can tow 7200 pounds. I got my 11 Silverado with the 4.8, 3.73's and HD Trailering to tow my trailer that weighed 7000 loaded (scale verified.) It wasn't until I got my Sierra with the 5.3 rated for 9600 and 3.42's that I changed my mind. the 80% rule is what I believe in now. That being said the new truck should tow your trailer just fine

• Like 1

I don't use a HD because I don't like the engine choices, and I don't like the ride. My truck gets used 95% as a large sedan, 5% towing. I don't care about mpg, and I always want more power than they give us, so why wouldn't I get the 6.2? I know I am at the upper limit of towing capacity, so I responsibly take it easy when towing. When I'm climbing hills all day up and down while towing, I would much rather have the 6.2, so I do.

If they would give us a 7.0L or a blown 6.2, I would buy it.

I have a 14 sliverado with the max tow and it will tow your tralier just fine. I pulled a buddies toy hauler 3 weeks ago and not a problem one, gas milage was around 13 running 60-65 trailer weighs by the sticker 7800 lbs. When not towing I am getting 18.5 to 19 with mixed driving. I guess I should add it is the 5.3 with max tow

Edited by Firecap501