Towing with the 5.3 V8

I have a 14 sliverado with the max tow and it will tow your tralier just fine. I pulled a buddies toy hauler 3 weeks ago and not a problem one, gas milage was around 13 running 60-65 trailer weighs by the sticker 7800 lbs. When not towing I am getting 18.5 to 19 with mixed driving. I guess I should add it is the 5.3 with max tow

Nice, thanks for your input.

When fully loaded I tow around 8-8500lbs with the 2014 SLT Sierra 4x4 w/ 3.42 and the rear end dropped more than I care for but being a half ton it's expected. I had airbags installed and with about 30lbs in them it rides perfectly level.

Power wise I feel the truck does well.

Will have Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks put on next month. Really looking forward to the ride.

• 1 month later...

So I am looking at maybe buying a camping trailer tomorrow. It's only been used 4 times and it's in great shape. They said emtpy it's 5300lbs. I assume up to 6000 full. My truck is a few months old and has 3200 miles, all city, couple mile trips. Still, I should probably take it easy towing for the first so many miles, right? I think the manual said 500 miles of the first towing should be taken easy to work in the motor/trans/rear for that kind of weight.

Second: It's 5300lbs with a 5 or 600 tounge weight. Is that going to make the rear of the truck squat much? Would airbags be a waste for a trailer that light? I know someone else on here said his squatted more than he liked at 8600lbs and with 30lbs in some airbags he had installed it rode level from then on.

Third: Is there anything I need to do for the trailer brakes or once I hook it up and it detects them it will activate it? Do I need to use the tow/haul button even if I am just cruising, is it something I should always have on while towing?

Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. I worry about everything, because I have the worst luck, so now I try to cover all of my bases, the best I can.

Chris

Chris, I do lots of towing not just with my 2014, but at work as my job with various loads from 4000lbs to 15,000 lbs with 3500HD's.

First - This truck pulls that kind of weight no problem. Ive done it several times, through high mountain passes in the rockies as well, and was very happy with the results. Much better than my 09 5.3.

Second - The last load I had behind was a car trailer and Toyota Landcruiser. It was definitely weighted forwarded and I'd say I had easily 600+ pounds on the tongue. Its going to squat..your load would be fine. Airbags help by not only reducing the squat but stabilizing the ride. Not a must for your set-up in my opinion.

Third - If you have the Integrated brake controller, and the towed vehicle has electric brakes, it should be plug and play. Adjust the brake strength on the truck with the plus minus and TEST with the pinch test above the adjusters.

I personally use tow/haul as it locks the torque converter. I like the way the trucks react for all types of acceleration and deceleration.

Matt

If you have the built in brake controller - it will sense the trailer brakes when you plug it in. I would suggest that you look at weight distributing hitches instead of airbags. Find a good RV shop/dealer and have them install it and show you how it works. I think that you will find that the equal izer brand will not only level the trailer and help with sway.

As for Tow/Haul you should use it when towing - it will change the shift points to hold lower gears longer. It also lets the transmission downshift with a simple brake tap - this really saves both the truck brakes and trailer brakes.

Thanks guys! I am glad to hear 5300-6000lbs is nothing for these trucks.. I know it will squat some, but I always cringe when they are squatting real low.. if it goes down real low that's not good right? I know airbags may not be mandatory for this load, but I will look into the price, as I would love for the truck/trailer to be level.

The weight distribution hitch if properly installed will keep everything level.

They will help with level. More important is getting one with sway control. You didnt say how long trailer is but nothing worse than a side wind with trucks passing you. They also distribute wt back to steering axle for better control.

I use both bags and equalizer wt distribution.

I agree with what the others have said. A properly set up weight distribution hitch will make towing much safer and more enjoyable. I too always cringe when I see vehicles pulling trailers down the highway and the hitch is about to hit the pavement and the front of the vehicle is pointed up in the air. The Equalizer brand has already been mentioned and I have heard good things about it but I have not used this one. However, I have towed several 26'-31' travel trailers in the past with the Reese Dual Cam setup. It is a weight distribution hitch with built in sway control cams. It takes some time to get it dialed in just right and get everything perfectly level but once it is done right your towing experience will be much better. Nothing makes you pucker up worse than when your trailer starts to sway when a big tractor trailer passes you and a proper setup will take care of that for you. i would say skip the airbags and get a good hitch setup and enjoy camping!

When fully loaded I tow around 8-8500lbs with the 2014 SLT Sierra 4x4 w/ 3.42 and the rear end dropped more than I care for but being a half ton it's expected. I had airbags installed and with about 30lbs in them it rides perfectly level. Power wise I feel the truck does well. Will have Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks put on next month. Really looking forward to the ride.

Can you tell me which airbag set you went with? Trying to decide if I want airbags or not. Thanks

Airlift has a good selection: http://www.airliftcompany.com/vehicles/chevrolet/silverado-1500/2014/4-wheel-drive/?bed_style=78.7+in.%2F6+ft.+6.7+in.+Bed

Their LoadLifter 5000 ULTIMATE kit can be run at 0 psi when you aren't using it so it won't have any effect on ride.

Edited by Jon A

I just read my owners manual and it shows a 5.3 with 3:42 gears is rated to tow 9.600 and the 6.2 is rated to only tow 9,500! Is the 5.3 100 lbs lighter than a 6.2? Might be the only thing a 5.3 can brag about when compared to a 6.2...oh wait a 5.3 gets 1mpg better gas mileage! :)

I've towed an 18X8 trailer with 4 Harley's in it. Previous truck was a 2011 2500HD, my 2014 performed well.

I also put airbags in mine because i leveled the front. i use a kit from AirLift easy to instal and works great. Also give s the truck a stiffer ride when towing