Towing with the 5.3 V8

Remind me...how much weight you pulling around? Are you 4x4? Did you use east coast gear ? Pulling steep grades ? I'm gonna change gears and deciding whether or not to go to 3.73

Sig says z71.....so yes 4x4. Around 7700 pounds. Mostly hilly but no steep grades. No east coast gear. I had a 3.08 SLT buy now have 3.42 Denali (closest match we could find to the victory/fire red with coco interior and all the options without having to order a new truck). Now the 3.08 still pulled better than my 2007 Sierra but that still has the 4 speed and not even 3.73 (I think the 6-speed and 3.08 is comparable to a 3.73 4-speed). I mainly had to switch to the 3.42 due to the weight ratings for max tow. The 3.42 does tow better than both of the other truck's but also lost about 1.5mpg. The v6 actually is rated to pull more weight than the 3.08 v8. By the time you switch gears in a 4x4...I would just trade it in on the geared truck you want.

Remind me...how much weight you pulling around? Are you 4x4? Did you use east coast gear ? Pulling steep grades ? I'm gonna change gears and deciding whether or not to go to 3.73

Sig says z71.....so yes 4x4. Around 7700 pounds. Mostly hilly but no steep grades. No east coast gear. I had a 3.08 SLT buy now have 3.42 Denali (closest match we could find to the victory/fire red with coco interior and all the options without having to order a new truck). Now the 3.08 still pulled better than my 2007 Sierra but that still has the 4 speed and not even 3.73 (I think the 6-speed and 3.08 is comparable to a 3.73 4-speed). I mainly had to switch to the 3.42 due to the weight ratings for max tow. The 3.42 does tow better than both of the other truck's but also lost about 1.5mpg. The v6 actually is rated to pull more weight than the 3.08 v8. By the time you switch gears in a 4x4...I would just trade it in on the geared truck you want.

Oh...took me a second to go back and figure out that you switched trucks. Still thought you were in a 3.08. I've already decided I want the luxury of loading up and heading out. With a HD and a diesel i think I'll be able to do that. Our 5th is what I consider small and light. 25 foot and 5900 unloaded. But we don't need or want anything larger. Like you said...I'm ditching the gear replacement

Pulling a 26' expandable travel trailer, with a tongue weight around 800 pounds (very front heavy), but the trailer only weighs around 5,000 pounds.

Ran it 2 times with just standard ball and hitch and it did ok. Just installed a Husky Centerline WDH and my initial thoughts are that it makes a HUGE difference! Truck rides a little more "bumpy" than it did before, but everything is riding level now.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone running a cold air intake and towing?

I had a Airaid cold air intake and got it mainly for the purpose of the resusable air filter and to give the engine a bit more noise. After installing it and towing with it for almost a full year, the engine noise was extremely loud and I swore it did not tow as well as before. Seemed to be struggling with power under load and was constantly running at 2500-3200 rpm.

So a couple of weeks ago I put the stock air box and a new filter back on the truck. The next time pulling the trailer (last weekend) the truck was back to its normal self and pretty much sat around 1800-2200 rpm the whole way (minus steep hills). It did not struggle nearly as much and my mileage improved quite a bit (from 27L/100km to 22L/100km)...

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I am running the AFE Momentum Intake, I will agree with the noise but I don't mind it and actually like it much better than stock (sounds like a truck).

Regarding the power, I have the complete opposite experience than you. I feel that the truck pulls better with the intake vs with out, the "growl" is much louder in the 1500-2000rpm range due to load but it pulls just fine.

Pulling a 26' expandable travel trailer, with a tongue weight around 800 pounds (very front heavy), but the trailer only weighs around 5,000 pounds.

Ran it 2 times with just standard ball and hitch and it did ok. Just installed a Husky Centerline WDH and my initial thoughts are that it makes a HUGE difference! Truck rides a little more "bumpy" than it did before, but everything is riding level now.

Just installed the husky CL on my truck as well, pulls amazingly well with my 27' 5500lb (empty) tt.

Just installed the husky CL on my truck as well, pulls amazingly well with my 27' 5500lb (empty) tt.

I really like my CL hitch. However putting on and taking off the bars is a PITA. But I found they go on easier before I put the hitch on the ball. And opposite coming off. It's probably the wrong way, but it seems to work.

I really like my CL hitch. However putting on and taking off the bars is a PITA. But I found they go on easier before I put the hitch on the ball. And opposite coming off. It's probably the wrong way, but it seems to work.

All jokes aside, I read the manual. I was having a hell of a time getting the bars on and off. What the manual said is to mount the ball and have your bars attached to the hitch, then with the tongue Jack of your trailer, lift the rear of your truck some until the bars are near thier perch. The bars will slip on and you'll save your back. Made my life 500% easier while hitching and removing.

Give it a try

• 3 weeks later...

When fully loaded I tow around 8-8500lbs with the 2014 SLT Sierra 4x4 w/ 3.42 and the rear end dropped more than I care for but being a half ton it's expected. I had airbags installed and with about 30lbs in them it rides perfectly level. Power wise I feel the truck does well. Will have Bilstein 5100 leveling shocks put on next month. Really looking forward to the ride.

Did you ever get the Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustables? The air bags in the rear and the Bilsteins in the front is on my agenda as well. I see this post is old....so hoping you're happy with your setup.

That is the way that I was taught by the dealer. But sometimes you get into a situation where you have to put them on afterwards. I had this happen last time due to the position of the trailer at the campsite. The campground was very old and sites were not angled correctly for the larger trailers, so you had to almost jackknife it into the site. When leaving, my solution was to just do the best I could at the site, then get to a place where I could adjust my WD hitch. So two to three miles down the road I pulled into a large level parking lot. I was quickly able to adjust the chain in a matter of a minute or two. It was far better than fighting it at the campsite.

This truck pulls a trailer like a dream. It almost appears effortless.

I have one more short trip before I am beyond the towing break-in mileage.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

I know this topic is pretty old, but think I'll try anyway.  Today I decided to see what capability I had in towing an RV trailer with my 2014 1500 Silverado, 5.3V8 ecotec, and 6 speed tranny. The owner's manual says 9,900lbs for the 2WD, Dbl Cab, Standard box, 3.42 RR gears. My truck also has the G80 locker and the heavy duty 'trailering package' including a 12,000lb max load hitch.

Since I had to take it in for a recall on the brake system booster, I decided to talk to the dealer about it. He (the service rep) says the max towing limit is 6,900lbs and that anyone who would put a 9,900lb load on a 1/2 ton truck is a fool. So, when I mentioned what the owner's manual says, he again said "the manual be damned", that truck is only good for 6,900lbs. So then I went online to WWW.Decode This.com and entered my Vin# and looked up the same info. The web site tells me 6,900lbs is the max towable limit.

So then I called GMC.com and asked them. Told them about the discrepancy I had run into and wanted the straight skinny. They took down my Vin# and put me on hold for a couple minutes then came back with 9,900lbs just as my owner's manual says. He, the rep at GMC.com says without question I should go by what the owner's manual says in any event.

So for the past couple days I'm 2 for 2. The manual and GMC.com says 9,900lbs, but the dealers service writer and the Decode This.com both say 6,900lbs. Ordinarily I wouldn't quibble much about stuff like this, but the difference between 6,900 and 9,900 is a full ton and a half.

Since my trailer is in at right about 7,200lbs, I'm not going to worry too much. I'm using a "Draw Tite" WDH with a load rating of 14,000lbs and a friction equalizer. It tows great and with no issues anywhere.

I'd be really interested in hearing what some of you have to say about my predicament.

Thanks.

Edited by jumpinjoe