Towing with the 5.3 V8

6600lbs per spec is max tow rating for your crew cab short box 3.08 4x4. 3.42 would be 9600lbs.

That is the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) not towing capacity.

then what is the 8600 shown in the pic of my owners manual in the first post?

I checked the conversion and the pounds match the kg so no misprint.

Thanks.

Edited by EXSlider400

From the GMC Conversation......

With your vehicle engine (5.3L EcoTec3 V8 Active Fuel Management DI VVT Flex Fuel aluminum block) and a rear axle ratio of 3.08 maximum trailer weight is 6,800 lbs with a GCWR of 12,000 lbs. The conventional trailer is just the standard towing capacity without an factory installed towing package.

10:20:43
Customer:Can you look at page 9-82 bottom row of the 2014 owners manuel (page 336)
10:21:14
Customer:Does that row pertain to my truck? 10:23:21
LeAundre:No, you have a 2014 SIERRA 1500 4WD CREW CAB Short Box with 5.3L engine and REAR AXLE 3.08 RATIO.
10:24:51
Customer:that is what the manuel says in that row. What configuration does that specific row fit?
10:30:38
LeAundre:I see it states that the maximum trailer weight is 8600 lbs however, all of the information I was able to see in my research is states 6,800 lbs. What I would recommend is contacting your local GMC dealership's service department. They have the most up to date information with you vehicle.
10:31:34
Customer:The link above is the current GMC web site. Dealer says there is no updated manual.
10:33:03
Customer:i think the 6,600 is as you stated, without a receiver hitch (towing package) and the 8,600 is with the towing package and the use of a Weight Distributing Hitch.
10:34:51
LeAundre:Ok, but the (b) indicated that the model is neither designed nor intended to tow fifth-wheel or gooseneck trailers.
10:35:26
Customer:right. I don't have a Gooseneck/5th wheel. Those dont even use a Weight Distributing hitch.
LeAundre:Right. 10:38:21
LeAundre:Would you mind if I did some additional research into this concern and contact you back?
10:38:45
Customer:I would love to be 100% on this issue and would not mind at all. Thank you.10:39:07
Customer:So i can tow my 7,600 pound Travel Trailer safely since i have the towing package?
LeAundre:For documentation purposes, may I have your full name and a contact number and/or email?
10:41:16
10:41:43LeAundre:Thank you. I'll email you with my findings.

• Like 1

well that was a fun and unhelpful conversation now wasn't it?

Very......

I did some research and i think the Conventional is just "ball" towing and the Max Trailer needs the use of a WD hitch. I hope GMC comes back with same findings. I can't belive they don't know what the 8,600 is for and i repeatedly asked them to look at manual and provided the link and page number and row to look at. BTW, this was my 3rd rep today as others did even worse....

I'm confused as to why you're so concerned (?). If it tows it fine, handles it fine, and doesn't overheat... then it doesn't matter what someone on here or at GM says (except for an engineer involved with rating the truck). There is no law anywhere in the US that considers manufacturer GVWR or "tow rating" when looking for driver liability in non-commercial incidents. Heck, none of them rate their trucks the same, so it's really just to help you match a vehicle for an intended use. The US-DOT regulates these things for *commercial* vehicles, and States regulate for personal vehicles. Since there is no applicable laws that consider "manufacturer ratings", it would be up to an individual to attempt to prove "gross negligence" in an accident. Towing a 7k to 8k lb trailer behind a truck that weighs 6k lbs is not anywhere close to negligent, so long as you follow traffic laws, use a proper hitch system for the load, etc. Not putting proper air in the tires is *far* more dangerous than going slower.

It's equally important to realize that towing a popup behind a 3500HD does *not* remove one from being sued for "gross negligence". If that little popup breaks loose, crosses the line, and hits someone... you're just as liable as if you had swerved and hit them. Common sense is critical here, and you'll know it when you're towing or hauling too much.

All of that said, the manual may be in error, or GM's site may be. The limiting factor for either rating may be related to heat, but it most likely has to do with performance when towing up long grades. I'd suggest just going slower.

Edited by music

Somewhat agree, just don't want it to void warranty, i heard in some States it is illegal to go over rating, and people sue for anything.....

Truck does tow it just fine, not near to bump stops, and trans temps stay below 200.

This is a good short article linked below and included as a Adobe .pdf in an attachment in next e-mail

http://www.trucktestdigest.com/TTDfeatureTrailerTowingIllegally.htm

Edited by EXSlider400

Based on a GCWR of 14,000 you have 8600 lb towing capacity.

Based on a GCWR of 12,000 you have a 6600 lb towing capacity.

What is the GCWR of your truck? 12K or 14K?

Pretty sure the 12K rating is for a V6 w/ 3.08

You have a V8 w/ 3.08, so I believe your truck is rated for 14K.

A V8 w/ 3.42 would be rated for 15K, hence the 9600 towing rating.

Edited by lefty421

There seems to be a lot of bad info in that article. It would make outlaws of half the midwest.

In farm and ranch country where people tow horse trailers, trailers stacked with hay, etc, daily, nobody uses WD hitches. Page 9-93 of our manual says for 1500's, WD is needed over 7000 lbs. For 2500/3500's it is never required by GM, not even for 18,000 lbs. The idea that towing a 6000 lb trailer with a 3500 is somehow illegal or unsafe in some way if a WD hitch is not used is ludicrous.

There seems to be a lot of bad info in that article.

Bad, possibly. Definitely outdated in areas. Still I think the message is very sound. People should think a littler harder about the details around trailering beyond "Does the ball fit the socket?".

In farm and ranch country where people tow horse trailers, trailers stacked with hay, etc, daily, nobody uses WD hitches.

Just because Uncle Joe's always done it that way doesn't make it right, or safe. Besides, if you're speaking of "farm and ranch country" pulling equine and grass rolls you'll probably also notice quite a few 5th wheels and goose necks. Which are WD hitches.

Page 9-93 of our manual says for 1500's, WD is needed over 7000 lbs.

Yep. Again, some outdated info as the latest breeds of trucks are definitely pushing the limits of what a 1/2 ton has been considered capable of.

For 2500/3500's it is never required by GM, not even for 18,000 lbs. The idea that towing a 6000 lb trailer with a 3500 is somehow illegal or unsafe in some way if a WD hitch is not used is ludicrous.

Again, you are correct. The HD's are beasts. And the article is technically incorrect in its statement that "every full-sized pickup sold today is required...to use a (WD hitch) to tow trailers weighing above a certain weight" since you've clearly pointed out the exception to that rule.

Slight inaccuries our outdated info aside, I for one am glad that articles such as this are out there to raise awareness. The target audience here isn't the farmer pulling a few cattle w/ the goose neck behind the 3500 (which probably doesn't have brakes...another topic maybe). It's the weekend warrior who will spend 80K on a 10,000lb boat but doesn't want to spend 80K on a truck to pull it safely. The cost of the boat is probably the reason they can't afford the truck, but again I digress. Point is that I see someone doing something STUPID every. single. day. in terms of safe trailering putting me and others at risk on the highway. While it may be very difficult to ascertain from my comments, I may be the farthest thing from a "stickler for the rules" that you've ever met. If I become aware of a rule that was made without valid cause or reason, I tend to break it just to make a point. That doesn't change the fact that some things just shouldn't be done for everyone's safety.

Edited by bdbake01