Mpg for new gas 2500

You, as a one-off consumer, cannot build a truck with 3.73s...I know, I tried. Fleets can get 3.73s still, but that's a fleet order. In 2014, they started with 4.10 only. Been down this road...unless they changed in the past year, I tried building a 2017 and 3.73s were not an option.

The point is that 4.10s are standard...talking about 3.73s in a vehicle that most consumers cannot purchase is meaningless.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatal

Lol. Just like to argue don't you.... so typical of this forum. Well I am sincerely sorry if it bugs you but my truck has 3.73 gears... and I plan on talking about it anytime I feel the notion to do so lol.... if you think it's "meaningless" feel free to use the ignore feature of the forum and move on. That said I can't build an SLE with the Bose stereo on the GM site either..... funny how it's not hard to find a truck kicking around on the lots with it installed.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol. Just like to argue don't you.... so typical of this forum. Well I am sincerely sorry if it bugs you but my truck has 3.73 gears... and I plan on talking about it anytime I feel the notion to do so lol.... if you think it's "meaningless" feel free to use the ignore feature of the forum and move on. That said I can't build an SLE with the Bose stereo on the GM site either..... funny how it's not hard to find a truck kicking around on the lots with it installed.

Really? 17 posts, and you already know what's "typical of this forum." :lol::lol::lol:

Bottom line....even though your truck sounds really cool, let's be honest....it's an odd/rare build. On the newer trucks, 4:10 is the standard option with the 6.0. The 3:73 is available, but only on fleet orders....which a large percentage of general consumers won't be able to duplicate. We're not saying a new 6.0/3:73 isn't possible, they're just extremely rare. And to be honest, I'd rather have a 4:10 truck anyway, haha. :driving:

Really? 17 posts, and you already know what's "typical of this forum." :lol::lol::lol:

Bottom line....even though your truck sounds really cool, let's be honest....it's an odd/rare build. On the newer trucks, 4:10 is the standard option with the 6.0. The 3:73 is available, but only on fleet orders....which a large percentage of general consumers won't be able to duplicate. We're not saying a new 6.0/3:73 isn't possible, they're just extremely rare. And to be honest, I'd rather have a 4:10 truck anyway, haha. :driving:

Been on the forum not signed up for years... could have left it at that. But searching is only really possible as a member. A large percentage of these trucks sold with the gas engines are fleet orders... It's not hard to get one.. new or used. Demographics play into that too... if there is no industry to speak of in your particular part of the planet I totally agree that you won't find one.

3.73 might be ok for me, but I have had great results with 4.10 for a few decades I really wouldn't be motivated to find out if 3.73 would be an improvement. Can't imagine how it would be.

Meh... Truck was a good deal... I could care less if it had 3.08 gears for what it was. Everyone used to be some defensive about 3.73s until gm switched the standard gears to 4.10 lol.

i tell ya, honestly if they had not i might be driving a different truck. my driving is very little highway so i wanted the steepest factory ratio in a ccsb HD, ford or gm was a wash for me. the local chevy dealer had a match, ford dealer did not. if the chevy truck had 3.73's, i would have cast a wider net and searched dealers a few hundred miles away.

not saying 3.73's are wrong for you, but for most of us, i think gm did the right thing making 4.10 standard. you do not get so much back in fuel economy to make them worth it unless lots of highway driving without a trailer.

On these I have never felt a notable improvement from one to the other... it's not a huge change. It helps if you want to tow constantly but then I wouldn't buy a 6 liter either at that point. I bought it because it won't fall apart on the roads my job takes me too while it hauls maybe 1000 lbs of equipment so honestly gearing is meaningless. But enough about that lol. If Ford wasn't so much more and I could find a supercab 6.5' with 4.30s and a 6.2 I may have taken that for a spin at least.

I kinda fall outside the norm also. I live rural and frequent a lot of hilly gravel roads and rural two lane stuff. Freeway/Interstate speeds are rarely seen, 90% of time is 60 mph or less. Mostly haul as opposed to tow. Some snowplow work in the winter. The 6.0 meets all my needs very well. Has done comparably well even compare to the '98 2500 I had with a 454 in it. Just good 'ol rural farm/ranch truck use. Any towing is more local and it hasn't failed to yank anything that I hooked up to it. So it stands to reason, based on what I use it for, I rather like the 4.10 ratio. Same ratio as my '98 454 and this 6.0 hasn't failed to deliver what I need just as well. I was a little apprehensive at first. Relied on big blocks since the early 70's.

I'll take a 4.10 any day and am glad it's standard but I don't see why a 3.73 can't be a civilian option. I'd like to see more HP/TQ and a 4.30 type option similar to the SD on the next model.

6th gear is far from useless.... Well if your truck has trouble pulling itself, or high wind resistance from aftermarket add ons like a rack or canopy, big tires or what have you, it very much is. 70 mph and getting 15-17 mpg highway is far from useless... Been able to pull some half decent grades with it locked up in 6th which impressed me as my 09 sure as hell couldn't lol. I am sure if I tune it, or put 200 more pounds in it I will be down to 10 mpg... not lol.

6th gear is far from useless.... Well if your truck has trouble pulling itself, or high wind resistance from aftermarket add ons like a rack or canopy, big tires or what have you, it very much is. 70 mph and getting 15-17 mpg highway is far from useless... Been able to pull some half decent grades with it locked up in 6th which impressed me as my 09 sure as hell couldn't lol. I am sure if I tune it, or put 200 more pounds in it I will be down to 10 mpg... not lol.

I've had the same experience comparing my 2008 LTZ 2500 Crew 4.10 and my current 2016. The 08' wouldn't hold 6th in a strong head wind and definitely not on the slightest grade. The heavier 2016 holds much better and will stay in 6th all day long in heavy winds and light grades. On paper the two versions don't look much different but obviously they've done a much better job with refinement/driveability on the L96.

Archived