Goodyear SR-A tires

What are everyone's thoughts on these tires that GM uses as OEM? There's a very large vibration thread, a few people swapped tires with success while other have and had no effect. Anyone care to elaborate on your experience? I find that mine arent so bad, as long as I keep them lower than 34 lbs of air. Anything above and then start to give a shimy at highway speeds. I wasn't very pleased with them duing the snowy months, althoug they are quiet. What are peoples thoughts on these tires? what do you run for air? If you swapped, what did you put on and did you notice a difference in the performance you were looking for. I'm torn, but might remove mine (4600 miles currently) and may go with another tire. Perhaps Nitto Crosstek. Just looking to see what others have already done, or are thinking of doing...as well as tweaks to keep the current GY SR-A on your truck.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like them. I miss my BFGoodrich all terrains but sadly they don't make that tire in the light truck load range for 18" rims. I'm going to keep the Wranglers until they wear out to save some money but I will most likely replace them with Michelin AT2's. I posted in that other thread about having the vibration problem and I found that the Wranglers were inflated to 40 psi even though the tire pressure monitors on the truck all read 35. I took them down to 35 based on my personal tire gauge and the vibration/shimmy went away. Anyway I'm still monitoring that situation to be sure but overall I'm not impressed with these tires.

I have 1700 miles on my 20" SR-A's (Z71 4x4 shortbox crew cab). I've been pleasantly surprised. They are quiet and smooth. They are fine for fields and dirt roads, not for mudslinging. I run 36-38 psi and have had no shimmy. They are the best Goodyear tires I've had, though they are still rather new. Many tires get louder and rougher with wear.

My Denali came with Goodyear LS2's. I was happy with them, but the dealer thought they were bad and replaced them with Bridgestone Dueller H/L Alenzas under warranty. They had problems balancing the Goodyears and just replaced them.

Unless you carry a large load much of the time, there's no reason to be higher then GM's recommended 32 psi. You'll have a much nicer ride. When I picked up my truck, the LS2's were up at 40 psi and rode rough. Same thing with the Bridgestones - 38 psi. I have mine at 30 psi cold, and they quickly warm up to 32/33 psi once warm.

I have them on my truck. Not the best tires I've had, but they get the job done. I've driven in snow, ice, heavy rain, dry conditions. Whenever I have a thought that I need more traction, I would flip into 4 Auto or 4hi and be fine. I've never taken them offroad, but I don't suspect they would do to well.

And I totally agree that they are better with less PSI in them. I was running them around 38, but noticed a bit of tire pull. So I dropped them down to 34 and now I do not notice it at all. And

not to mention it just makes the truck ride nicer.

I do not have any vibrations in my tires. I have had multiple people comment on how smooth and quiet the truck handles on the highway. I have taken it up to around 90 mph without any noticeable vibrations.

Just rolled over 7000 miles this week. My motto. Aint broke? Don't fix it. Get your money's worth out of them. Save the money you would buy new tires with and put it in your savings account if its burning a hole in your pocket.

I think they are junk for an "All Terrain" pickup. Useless in snow/ice even in 4wd. Pack up with mud in any wet dirt road. I will for sure replace them with something better before next fall/winter. I couldn't even make it up my slightly inclined driveway in 4wd if there was any snow on it, could spin all 4 tires and slide backwards. T/C was of no help.

I'm not a Goodyear fan at all, but I was suprised these tires are not bad. Smooth, quiet and good winter traction. We had 113 inches of snow this year and not any problems at all. I hardly ever needed 4 wheel drive at and we had several significant snows. I work early and the roads were not plowed so I gave them a good test.

They came on my truck. I didn't have a choice. That being said, they aren't bad. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go out and buy them, but they are quiet and ride really well. Half of my daily commute is at turnpike speeds and I have no complaints. Well one! I wished the heck they were at least white letter!

I wished the heck they were at least white letter!

Turn them around. One side of the tires has the white letters and one side is all black. I'm the opposite of you my white letters are facing out and I want to turn them around so they're all black.

Turn them around. One side of the tires has the white letters and one side is all black. I'm the opposite of you my white letters are facing out and I want to turn them around so they're all black.

I looked.They are black wall both sides.

They came on my truck. I didn't have a choice. That being said, they aren't bad. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't go out and buy them, but they are quiet and ride really well. Half of my daily commute is at turnpike speeds and I have no complaints. Well one! I wished the heck they were at least white letter!

I looked.They are black wall both sides.

They are two different tires. It was an extra $150 for the W.O.L., I know because I paid it. Yeah, I'm old school. Old too!

• 1 month later...

Got rid of the GY tires before the truck even made it home from the dealer. Drove straight to the tire store and put on Nitto Terra Grapplers. Been happy ever since.

Unless they have done some serious changes to these tires since 2004, I will not get another set of those ever. My previous truck ('04 Sonoma) came with the SR-A's and they were absolutely terrible in everyway except on clear, dry, straight driving. I was constantly having to put the truck in 4wd for traction no matter what time of year it was. Winter's in Alaska were the worst, I slid everywhere unless I was in 4wd. They did wear well and lasted about 48k miles. For whatever reason I decided to let them wear out rather then replace them. Looking back I wish I had changed them. I've seen some good and not so good tires and the SR-A experience for me was in the terrible range.

Ive got a Loaded SLT currently being built, i ordered the 20" rims ane they come with the SRA'S you guys are scaring me. We have some pretty darn cold,snowy,icy and long winters. If these tires are that bad i will be getting rid of them before the white stuff comes. Thanks for the honesty. Wonder why they are even offered on a 2500HD in the first place.

Because Good Year makes them cheap just for GM. Cheap in price, cheap in quality. I still think over half the people with the vibrations issues would immediately solve their issue by going to a different tire...not one from the GM dealership...one from an actual tire dealer. The few people that have, fixed their problems as far as I can tell. I do totally understand not wanting to drop $800 plus on tires and an alignment for a brand new truck however. My truck shakes a bit, much worse when it's hot out. When it's hot my tires feel like they're egg shaped. The dealership has been all through my truck and cant find anything wrong...but every time I go in the tires are out of balance. The rebalance seems to fix things for a few days and then they suck again. The sidewalls have a wave patern you can see and feel. These GY tires are worse than junk. Consumer Affairs is full of people complaing about these tires, and there are a lot of side wall blow outs reported.

Archived