Stock Exhaust Removal

This weekend I'm planning on installing my Gibson dual exhaust system on my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed All Terrain 5.3L. I wondering if I will actually have to cut my stock exhaust for installation? Has anyone done this?

I think he's asking if you have to cut the factory exhaust to pull it out from under the truck.

I've heard mixed reports. Some say it can be removed without cutting, some say no. I think your chances are better if you are able to jack the truck up a bit. The hard part will be getting it over the rear axle.

Can the stock exhaust be removed without any cutting once it has been disconnected from the 3rd Cat? I was planning on not even jacking the truck up to change the exhaust, but if someone has been through this before and could lend me some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

Can the stock exhaust be removed without any cutting once it has been disconnected from the 3rd Cat? I was planning on not even jacking the truck up to change the exhaust, but if someone has been through this before and could lend me some advice I would appreciate it. Thanks

The answer is no. You must jack up the truck and use jackstands or cut the stock system. Unless you have a lift that you can use.

Agreed... I just put the stainless version of the Gibson exhaust on and I had to cut the factory exhaust. It's a pain to try and snake it out from between the rear axle and chassis. Without a lift, I'm going to say it's a no-go. (I tried ramps, jacks, stands... no dice.)

I cut mine right behind the muffler with a cut off wheel and a hacksaw. (My buddy had my sawzall.) Easy to remove after that.

Follow the instructions, and you should be okay. Don't tighten up anything until it says to in the instructions... snug is okay, but let it settle before you tighten everything up. Drivers side hanger is a POS, but workable.

Good luck!

Edited by Fasthotrod
  • Like 1

I have to remove my stock exhaust sometime this week to make room for my new Corsa Sport system. I really hope I am able to remove it all in one piece. Rather not hack the stock system up if I dont have too. I guess I will find out.

I had to cut mine but it was on the ground. I dropped the spare tire but there still wasn't enough room for the front of the pipe to clear the cross member. Now with the rear axle at full droop, there might be enough room for the muffler to be pushed far enough to the rear for the front of the pipe to drop down and clear the cross member. That'll all make since once you're under there.

And also, I don't know if there's more room for a 5.3L exhaust due to the smaller pipe diameter.

Edited by Full Lock

I have to remove my stock exhaust sometime this week to make room for my new Corsa Sport system. I really hope I am able to remove it all in one piece. Rather not hack the stock system up if I dont have too. I guess I will find out.

Share some pics please.

This weekend I'm planning on installing my Gibson dual exhaust system on my 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Short Bed All Terrain 5.3L. I wondering if I will actually have to cut my stock exhaust for installation? Has anyone done this?

I'm hearning more about Gibson exhaust and got interest on it. What exchaust exactly you got? I tried to look around and on this site looks the Extreme Dual is better among them: http://4wheelonline.com/Gibson_Exhaust_Systems.35014

• Like 1