2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

On 6/2/2019 at 1:29 AM, Shaun said:

I should have posted this a year ago but better late than never.  After filing for a lemon law buy back and BBB claim, Chevorlet finally fixed my Tahoe.  They added some panels to stiffen the roof.  They removed the soundproofing and I think it was 4 panels they gloved up there.  Chevorlet sent an engineer to my dealership to do the work.  I didn’t get to talk with him but the service manager at my dealership said Chevorlet was adding these panels to the new 2018 Tahoes.  

Hey Shaun, interesting!! You don't happen to know if there is a TSB on his modification they made to yours, do you? Some photos?

It seems weird that they told you they were adding them to the 2018 Tahoes, when there a people still finding the issue on 2018 and 2019 units; I wonder if they are only fixing the real problem units and biding their time till the 2020's are out.

Edited by Wrench589

1 minute ago, Wrench589 said:

Hey Shaun, interesting!! You don't happen to know if there is a TSB on his modification they made to yours, do you? Some photos?

It seems weird that they told you they were adding them to the 2018 Tahoes, when there a people still finding the issue on 2018 and 2019 units; I wonder if they are only fixing the real problem units and biding their time till the 2020's are out.

More clues that the roof is the root cause.  My Yukon also had the headliner pulled down and re-glued, but it did nothing.

Perhaps these panels prevent the thin metals roof from resonating?!?  I recall somebody else in this thread made some shims that were placed between the cross bars to apply pressure to the roof, also preventing movement.  I also remember that others spraying the underside of the roofs with spray foam, but didn't have positive results.

My rear axle was replaced which solved my vibration problem, not the buffeting problem.

• booming noise -> fixed by adding weights/dampers to the exhaust
  • buffeting -> work around by having well balanced tires
  • vibrating -> fixed with rear axle replacement

80,000km after the repairs, the truck runs great and I plan on keeping it another couple of years.  Only the buffeting rears it's ugly head every now and then, but I know what to do!

../mk

I can see where this is going....I'll get this thing perfect about 2 weeks before we get rid of it. LOL!!

Yes, it's is most likely the roof. Makes sense, after all. Especially when you see the flimsy little cross-bows they used to support it. I think it was Elripster that fabricated some custom spacers to wedge between the roof and the factory rook-rack bars, and he was very happy with the result. I always meant to try that, but since I don't have those roof rack bars I didn't. As as I said, ours is livable, so only so many hours in the day....

I never did pursue the rear axles....kind wish I had now. Marc, do you recall where they didn't run true?

Update: Dealer said the exhaust was not clamped so it was making a drone. I will keep the group updated. 

Drone much better now but Low Speed Boom still there. Here is a TSB reference. I still plan to get better tires and RFB. 

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=7001

Edited by EXSlider400

27 minutes ago, Wrench589 said:

I never did pursue the rear axles....kind wish I had now. Marc, do you recall where they didn't run true?

I don't, no.  The vibrating could be felt in the seats and the steering wheel.  The whole assembly was replaced - brake rotor to brake rotor.

--
Marc

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, EXSlider400 said:

Has anyone with the booming with 22” tried 20” or 18” to see if that helped? I was thinking about swapping out my 18” from my old Sierra just to see it it will identify the low speed boom issue. 

The booming definitely wasn't tire related for me - that was fixed on a separate trip.  Welding the dampers on the exhaust 100% solved the booming that I heard when the rear wheels went over bumps [including snow] at low speeds.  It sounded like somebody was flicking a large subwoofer.  Somewhere in this thread, I included pictures and measurements on where they were placed.

The buffeting issue was fixed by road-force balancing my stock 20" tires to be 10lbs or better as per GM specifications.  They resolved it *after* the fixed the booming issue and it took them 6 tire replacements to make it happen!

--

Marc

• 2 weeks later...

Yes this is a design flaw and I’m pretty sure it’s because the roof sheet metal is thin as paper. I took mine to the dealership a few times and honestly there’s nothing they can do about it. I test drove a few more and they all do the exact same thing.  It does seem like the more expensive ones with the 22 inch rims and the sunroof do it worse because there’s less braces in the roof combined with a stiffer ride. Even though it sounds and feels like a vacuum, it does it even at low speed’s and/or with the windows down so it’s more likely a result of internal pressure from the distortion of the cab from the metal flexing.  We purchased this 2019 Yukon Denali Ultimate 4x4 because of all my good experiences with previous products from GM but this will absolutely be my last GM SUV and we’re already looking for something else to trade it in on and I do not even have 1,000 miles on it or have even made the first payment. I had the body style before this and it was great but GM keeps trying to save money and get cheaper and in doing so cut corners so they’re going to continually get crappier. I’m probably going to call GM and file a complaint to see if they will buy it back but I really doubt they will. 

Edited by EXSlider400

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally heard back from GM today and they said that it is normal operation for it to make that pressure noise. So great every time me and my wife drive the Yukon Denali Ultimate we get a headache and they say that’s normal operation so I told them if that’s normal design I will not be buying another GM even though I buy a new vehicle two years... Big surprise they did not care.  I’m not saying I will go to Ford or Dodge but I also have a 5 year old Mercedes for 4 years with zero problems (Usually a one year old Mercedes is close to the same price as the new high-end GMC). 

Edited by EXSlider400

As my Continentals become more worn, the buffeting has reared it's ugly head - again.  This, in addition to a developing CLUNK that can be felt when shifting out of park, clicking/knocking sound in the steering wheel [fixed twice] and squeaks from the inside rear was the final straw.  On Friday, I'm parting ways with the Yukon after ~125,000km over nearly 5 years.

Ownership has been bitter-sweet.  The 6.2L was definitely the highlight - what an awesome engine!  The buffeting, prominent on so many K2XX trucks is regrettable.

Thanks to all on this forum for the fact sharing and connections made.

--

Marc

• 10 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hey guys, I bought a ‘16 Yukon XL Denali  and found out about this issue after I started getting headaches and pressure build up in my ears (I am an audiophile). Thankfully I was able to completely solve this issue.

I have Wrangler duratecs on on my mine 275/65r18 and they are pretty noisy off road tires. I’m completely satisfied with my Yukon xl and it rides like a luxury ride should. My fix was #1 swapping out the mag ride struts / shocks with the base model (mine were leaking and rock hard) non-air ride ones front and back #2 added the roof rails to position 1 and 2 (closest to the front of the car). I suspect adding two more roof rails to the back should add even more structural strength to the roof. 

secondskins had a 25% sale on damplifier pro (better than dynamat)  and MLV so I bought that before (not needed now) but I’ll still put it on.

hope this helps someone out in the future!

Edited by ram
More info added

• 2 years later...

hate to resurrect this thread but GM I swear,

my 21 suburban has major booming Buffeting, the booming itself would happen even from closing the driver door. That's when I discovered the roof was fluttering on the outside bad every time I closed the door.

My car is out of warranty, pulled the headliner down to discover roof bows were not attached. GM is an absolute joke that they still didn't fix this!!

IT was like this on all 5 cross bows, NON OF THEM WERE ATTACHED you can see the mark on the ceiling the gap and then foam I got the flexible foam from 3m to fix it, and sound deadend the roof which helped a lot but still slightly flitters causing booming in the vehicle, im so annoyed!!!

Screenshot 2023-08-22 at 11.01.41 PM.png

Edited by Bradleyac