2015 YUKON NOISE IN CABIN

Finally resolved all the issues with the Yukon.

Our lemon law settled on Friday. And now the issues belong to GM. It took about a year from when we started the process, but it's done. And having had the truck paid off, it was nice to see GM cut a big fat check back.

The truck spent 108 days in service in it's first year. And the issues still persisted. We gave GM a chance to swap it out with a 2017 model, and they said no. That they wanted another opportunity to fix the buffeting and booming as well as the transmission clunking and shudder. This is in addition to the nav going out, the power running stopped working, the water through the GPS antenna, the rear spoiler splitting, the buzzing from the AC, the back up camera cutting out, the dash rattles, etc.

After they couldn't fix it on the 4th attempt, the dealer tried to get GM to authorize an exchange. And GM said no a second time. Actually, the customer service rep said, "We will not be buying anything back or attempting anymore repairs. The truck is functioning as designed despite what the dealership says!"

I said ok. My attorney will take it from here.

It's not that the truck had issues..it's that despite the dealership agreeing that there were indeed issues and they wanting to honestly fix them, it was the fact that GM corporate and GM techline straight up told the dealership to not fix it. There were many things done and swapped out at the expenses of the dealership. I can't say enough great things about the dealership experience. But GM's customer service is a complete joke.

So if you're need some 22" complete Denali wheels

Or anyone of many accessories for your Yukon, Suburban, or Tahoe

They can all be found in the wanted for sale market place thread.

3 hours ago, need-for-speed said:

I know this is a stupid question, ...Do Tahoes have the same problem? 

Tahoe conversation starts on page 1.  But if you owned a GMC, 6.2, Denali XL, mag ride, sunroof, 22 in wheels you would have complained 75% of the time.  Followed by Chevy, LTZ, XL, mag ride, 22 in wheels, sunroof, in which owners complained 22% of the time.  And lastly, Cadillac, any model, mag ride, sunroof, 22 in wheels, complaints about 3%.  Cadillac would have more complaints if folks were willing drop 100k on the truck.  This is my guestimated owner complaint percentage based on actually reading every post, but keep in mind most of these post are about first year versions.  The issues are less about a model rather than the Gen 4 platform having problems with similar suspension, length, weight, and tire size. 

Now if you just gotta' have one of these Gen 4 trucks, eliminate the similar issues and you might get lucky.  Any model, 5.3 (if available), standard size, premium ride, no sunroof, less than 22 in wheels.  Not scientific, but few owner complaints when the similar issues are eliminated.  My 2015 model fits this profile and I haven’t experienced any of these issues, yet.  One thing I will note, tire pressure cold should be about 32 psi, this Gen 4 platform does not like it when tire pressure exceeds 35 psi hot. 

Edited by The Zip

Thanks Zip!!   Great info. I was at a place today and there was a 2016 Tahoe outside.  I asked the owner about it and she said she LOVED it and had not had any of the issues mentioned here. When I left, I noticed it had the 18 inch wheels.  

Edited by need-for-speed

Two months ago I bought a new 2017 Tahoe that has this issue (buffeting and booming that causes ear pressure).  I've taken it to my local Chevy dealership twice now.  First time they removed the headliner and saw that the roof wasn't glued to one of the cross bars so they fixed that. I brought it back a second time because the buffeting and booming was still there.  The service manager said he test drove it and found nothing wrong.  He said the car feels normal to him and another mechanic.  He said he has never had anyone else claim this problem.  I brought the car back for a third time today but the service manager said they won't even look at it. I know that I have to give them 3 chances to fix the issue before I file for lemon law buy back.  The Tahoe will sit at the dealership for the next 10 days while I'm out of town for work.  

Here's what my very helpful Chevrolet Customer Assistance Rep had to say about my situation today:

"At this time, the dealer isn't going to make any repairs to the vehicle because they don't find anything wrong. Being that we're not technically inclined here at Customer Service, we're at a standstill due to the dealer being the eyes and the ears for us and them not able to proceed further because there isn't an issue present at this time."

Anyone have any advice?  Can I start the Lemon Law buy back process or must they actually attempt to fix something?

7 hours ago, Shaun said:

Two months ago I bought a new 2017 Tahoe that has this issue (buffeting and booming that causes ear pressure).  I've taken it to my local Chevy dealership twice now.  First time they removed the headliner and saw that the roof wasn't glued to one of the cross bars so they fixed that. I brought it back a second time because the buffeting and booming was still there.  The service manager said he test drove it and found nothing wrong.  He said the car feels normal to him and another mechanic.  He said he has never had anyone else claim this problem.  I brought the car back for a third time today but the service manager said they won't even look at it. I know that I have to give them 3 chances to fix the issue before I file for lemon law buy back.  The Tahoe will sit at the dealership for the next 10 days while I'm out of town for work.  

Here's what my very helpful Chevrolet Customer Assistance Rep had to say about my situation today:

"At this time, the dealer isn't going to make any repairs to the vehicle because they don't find anything wrong. Being that we're not technically inclined here at Customer Service, we're at a standstill due to the dealer being the eyes and the ears for us and them not able to proceed further because there isn't an issue present at this time."

Anyone have any advice?  Can I start the Lemon Law buy back process or must they actually attempt to fix something?

Laws will vary by state. See the addendum in your manuals to see what the requirement is for your state. Lemon law attorneys will take the case free, but you'll need good documentation.

Most places it's 3 repair attempts or 30 days out of service. You've already started logging it with Customer Service. Keep all the communications with them. Record the calls. Log the name of the rep and what they said. If they get rude or nasty log it. Document everything, date time, person and what was done. 

Did you do a test drive with the tech? I could drive mine and duplicate the buffeting everytime at 42 and 71 mph. That's when it's the loudest. Tell them you want to drive with the tech. Drive it with them, duplicate it. Have him acknowledge it. If they still refuse to acknowledge it. Record and document it. Meet with he Service Director and General Manager of the dealership.

They are just as liable for denying your warranty claims as they are at failing to repair it.

And the 30 days out service is for anything, not just recurring issues. So if theres something wrong, anything. Put it for service.

Ohh....and you can take to ANY dealership. GMC, Cadillac, Chevy. So you can take it to different dealership and have them fix the buffeting. Log as many visits as possible.

Ultimately, if you really want the buffeting fixed, you need to be pushing for new tires that Road Force Balance below 15 lbs of Road Force. Push for Michelins with customer service and they dealer. 

Speaking to service directors for the varying dealers in the area. They were all aware  of the tires being the patch for the buffeting. The Chevy dealers response to customers with the issue regarding id they would replace tires was "absolutely NOT", the GMC dealers would work with us and customer service on the issue, and the director at Cadillac said they replace the tires on every Escalade that had the issue. Goes to show, the more you spend the better you're treated.

Ultimately, GMC and Customer Service replaced my tires with Michelins and the buffeting went away for about 10 months and slowly began to come back, especially when I was towing.

Edited by SierraMyst

12 hours ago, SierraMyst said:

Laws will vary by state. See the addendum in your manuals to see what the requirement is for your state. Lemon law attorneys will take the case free, but you'll need good documentation.

Most places it's 3 repair attempts or 30 days out of service. You've already started logging it with Customer Service. Keep all the communications with them. Record the calls. Log the name of the rep and what they said. If they get rude or nasty log it. Document everything, date time, person and what was done. 

Did you do a test drive with the tech? I could drive mine and duplicate the buffeting everytime at 42 and 71 mph. That's when it's the loudest. Tell them you want to drive with the tech. Drive it with them, duplicate it. Have him acknowledge it. If they still refuse to acknowledge it. Record and document it. Meet with he Service Director and General Manager of the dealership.

They are just as liable for denying your warranty claims as they are at failing to repair it.

And the 30 days out service is for anything, not just recurring issues. So if theres something wrong, anything. Put it for service.

Ohh....and you can take to ANY dealership. GMC, Cadillac, Chevy. So you can take it to different dealership and have them fix the buffeting. Log as many visits as possible.

Ultimately, if you really want the buffeting fixed, you need to be pushing for new tires that Road Force Balance below 15 lbs of Road Force. Push for Michelins with customer service and they dealer. 

Speaking to service directors for the varying dealers in the area. They were all aware  of the tires being the patch for the buffeting. The Chevy dealers response to customers with the issue regarding id they would replace tires was "absolutely NOT", the GMC dealers would work with us and customer service on the issue, and the director at Cadillac said they replace the tires on every Escalade that had the issue. Goes to show, the more you spend the better you're treated.

Ultimately, GMC and Customer Service replaced my tires with Michelins and the buffeting went away for about 10 months and slowly began to come back, especially when I was towing.

SierraMyst, Thanks for the good advice. I did test drive it with the tech before the first repair but not since. Maybe I should do so again. 

Good to know that I can take it to any dealership. My customer service rep told me that my "back buy was denied at this time" because I brought it to a different dealership than the one where I bought it. I purchased the Tahoe at a dealership 3 hours away because they sold it 9k off MSRP and no dealership nearby could come close.  I think I'll bring it to another nearby dealership when I return from my trip. 

6 hours ago, Shaun said:

SierraMyst, Thanks for the good advice. I did test drive it with the tech before the first repair but not since. Maybe I should do so again. 

Good to know that I can take it to any dealership. My customer service rep told me that my "back buy was denied at this time" because I brought it to a different dealership than the one where I bought it. I purchased the Tahoe at a dealership 3 hours away because they sold it 9k off MSRP and no dealership nearby could come close.  I think I'll bring it to another nearby dealership when I return from my trip. 

I actually bought mine in a different state as well. But serviced the truck in both states. And ultimately the law in my states said that I must file for lemon law in the state that vehicle was serviced the most at. 

So at 60 days out of service, with 31 of those in PA and 29 of those in VA, I filed in PA.

The GM customer service agent is a nobody and has no authority to approve or deny a buy back. That is done at the Corporate risk assessment general counsel level. You'll never get to speak to them. Only your attorney can. The customer service person's sole job is to be a liaison between you and the dealer and like an insurance agent deny all claims. They are the lowest man on the totem pole. And will never agree with you.

Its funny...I remember my customer service rep telling me that there is nothing at all GM will do for me and that they will not be making any repair attempts and that GM will NEVER buy back the truck. To stop calling. Complete dick. I would sit in my service directors office while he was on the phone with them and the dealership would literally tell GM that they've done all they can do and they are "not able to fix the legitimate problems". And minutes later, GM would call me as I sat in front of the service director and tell me that he got off the phone with the dealer and that they have "made all the repairs they can make and that PER THE DEALERSHIP, the truck was driving as designed". Scumbag liars.

If you have a good  dealer that's trying to fix the problem, they'll pit customer and dealer against each other. They don't want to pay for the warranty repair for the dealer as much as they don't want to buy back the truck.

It's all statistics to them. If they sell 100,000 Yukons and 10,000 are bad and all 10,000 go to the dealer for warranty. They will deny the issue on all of them. Of those, 5 out 10 people will just accept it. 3 out 10 will fight for a repair, and eventually get something done that will improve but not fix the issue and 2 out 10 will get a buy back. And all that was cheaper than properly repairing or recalling the whole 10,000. Remember the ignition switches. It's cheaper to pay for a couple deaths than to fix every ignition switch.

So long story short. Days out of service are days out of service regardless of the dealer as long as it's a GM dealer.

Test drive and record the test drive and have the tech acknowledge the issue in front of you. Then see if he denies the issue to his service director.

So good luck.

I can’t believe we’re up to the 2018 model year and the trucks still have problems. GM continues to put 22’s on them and the roofs still aren’t glued. I’m one of the early posters - I got my Denali in 2015. My Denali came with 20’s and I didn’t have any booming or pressure in my Yukon. I test drove a bunch with the booming/noise before finding my Yukon. All had 22’s. The trim fell off all four doors around the windows. The dealer was prepared. He had extra in stock - it was a common design flaw on the Yukon he said. My steering wheel sounds like it’s coming off while I drive. I have 30,000 miles and need new tires; however, I’m scared to mess with anything. What if new tires start the booming problem? I would get the same brand of 20’s, hoping a simple swap won’t cause noise in the cabin. I’m stalling though...

I also wanted to ask if anyone installed dynamat, (to the floor and roof) to see if it helps with booming?

Because it sounds like the booming noise is amplified due to thin metal of body.  It's not cheap and will probably cost around $500 or so but I am debating weather to spend that money and also install Michelin tires and have a full size SUV that can be enjoyed driving.

-I have a 2016 5.3L Yukon XL SLT, no mag ride, no noise cancellation system, and have the booming with my OEM Goodyear fuel max 18" tires (buffeting is sporadic and varies on road and probably flat spots from tires, and I know that Michelin tires will fix it)

I test drove 2017 Ford Expedition EL, and even though it has independent rear suspension and supposed to be better ride, it didn't feel that it drove quieter/smoother. It did not have booming at same frequency  as my Yukon XL but it was noisy at bumpy uneven pavement and it defiantly had more road/wind noise on HWY due to old body style from 2007. I am waiting to test drive the new redesigned 2018 Ford/Lincoln... but really would like to keep my Yukon XL if I can get rid of booming at low speeds.

I know few owners said dampers worked for booming, and few said they didn't... 

But first I will try to get the dealer replace my exhaust and/or add dampers but not sure how they will go about it and the cost for it. (I bought it as certified pre-owned and it still has the 12mo/12kmi CPO warranty)

20 hours ago, wot_denali said:

Did anybody test drive the 2018 denali?the mag shocks on the new 18 is different than the -17 they have different part numbers and it seems they are the updated ones.

I I replaced my struts at 45k with  part number 84061228 and jit rides much better than the original ones. i also just saw an even newer part available 84176631.  When these struts totally fail they ride like hell and you must replace them asap! It feels like no shocks and springs,  just solid and extremely dangerous!! I mean stiff as hell.

I also upgraded my 2015 suburbans tires  to the BF goodrich plus (linked below). These tires are oem on the Escalade and do ride much better with less road noise. Still booms in 4 cyl mode at speeds like 25mph and a couple different conditions. If you do mostly highway driving you should be fine, but at this price point it's ridiculous to even say such a thing .lol

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Dueler+H%2FL+Alenza+Plus&partnum=845HR2HLALNP&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Suburban&autoModClar=LTZ&&autoMake=Chevrolet&autoYear=2015&autoModel=Suburban&autoModClar=LTZ