Low voltage issue

RTFM. If the needle is within the hash marks to either side of 14 volts. Its fine.

Straight from my owners manual:

"When the engine is running, this gauge shows the condition of the charging system. The gauge can transition from a higher to lower or a lower to higher reading. This is normal. If the vehicle is operating outside the normal operating range, the charging system light comes on."

Edited by fondupot
  • Like 1

Thanks guys. I did RTFM... but.. I have never seen a vehicle unable to maintain 14.4V while running unless there was a huge draw on the electrical system. I find that at idle is mostly when this happens. At night with the headlights on it stays right above 14, where it should be. I just think that is very strange, but apparently it is by design.

Thanks guys. I did RTFM... but.. I have never seen a vehicle unable to maintain 14.4V while running unless there was a huge draw on the electrical system. I find that at idle is mostly when this happens. At night with the headlights on it stays right above 14, where it should be. I just think that is very strange, but apparently it is by design.

Its a design element that comes from the fuel efficient alternators on these trucks. When the battery is within an acceptable range, the alternator is not engaged, this is less draw on the motor which saves fuel.

• Like 3

Its a design element that comes from the fuel efficient alternators on these trucks. When the battery is within an acceptable range, the alternator is not engaged, this is less draw on the motor which saves fuel.

Thanks for the explanation! That is good to know.

• 10 months later...

I haven't seen a pic.. and thought I would post.. here you go when I first noticed i said oh wow that's nice..lmao bit looked online and seen that it's normal. And yes that was my reaction at first

post-145646-0-28256900-1436131420_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silver ice 6.2
  • Like 1

• 9 months later...

does anyone with cooled seats notice a drop in seat fan speed when the voltage goes below 14v o nthe dash? I have recently noticed that when the truck turns the alternator off to save gas i basically loose the highest cooling level (fan speed is the same on level 2 and level 3). pretty annoying. i think it is the same story with the AC blower fan as well.

And the battery will last longer by not forcing higher voltage on it when not needed. I was worried when I noticed it the first time.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Here is my 2017 Denali with the 6.2L and 35,000 miles. Notice my two pictures have different miles on the trip meter. I was driving around for 4 hours yesterday morning and it stayed this low the whole time. This line represents around 12 v. You mean to tell me that this thing was in fuel saver mode charging at 12v for half a day? I’m having tons of electric problems on my truck and the dealer is using this as an excuse to not find the real problem. I’m also having transmission shuddering and slipping trouble, severe detonating on 93 octane (only when it’s cold and dry out), and front parking sensors and crash avoidance sensors throwing codes. Had front power seat and rear wiper not work intermittently too. Dealer is just making excuses but I think in my case this is NOT operating as designed. Can anyone elaborate on this?

F433DB0B-83C9-4CE8-9457-A5D74A616943.jpeg

4793C5DA-EA7F-4EE6-85C5-1F29BA5E396D.jpeg

Edited by Kevin Gorczyca
Added engine size and mileage

• 1 year later...

I have 2017 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab and it stays low in the daytime and jumps to normal range at night and I have a decent audio system upgrade and never had problems before... or noticed it. I noticed that when I push the audio in the daytime I have a clipping monitor that shuts the amp down when it hits clipping that only has happened when it gets close to the left side mark of the 14v. Weird because I would have never known if I didn't have the clipping monitor on my amp