I think those valves have been proven to do nothing at all, except cause whistle sounds at low speed and no starts when they freeze shut. I bolted mine open and drove it like that for several months before trading it and I never noticed any negative at all. My advice to anyone who hasn't yet is...bolt er open!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had my truck into the dealer today for it's 3rd ride along as the service techs are having trouble hearing the ticking. It's very distinct to my family but perhaps we're tuned into it.

I had a recording of the noise and they suggested it could be a sticking lifter. They called GM and they have had this issue before on these trucks and have recommended replacing the lifters. Good news is they think they have a fix, bad news is it seems to be a complicated surgery.

I'll be in touch in a few weeks when it's all said and done.

Nearly a month later and I'm still waiting on parts before they try to fix the "sticking lifter"

Anyone else make any headway here?

thats aprox where min started as well.... I think if i have a load on it it does it every time after im a few min into my trive. I think i might hook up to my boat drive it some until it starts doing it then go right to the dealer with the boat hooked up to it and have a tech drive it

thats good yours does it 100% of the time though, then it can be fixed, its the intermittent that driving me nuts. i dont care there is the issue, things happen i just want to be able to get it fixed

Hi youcantkeepup and everyone else,

We understand this ticking noise has been frustrating and apologize. While we're unable to provide any technical advice, since we're not trained as technicians, we can certainly reach out to the dealer and review this in greater detail. Feel welcome to send a PM if you'd like to discuss things further. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Eddie A.

GM Customer Care

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update:

Received truck back from dealer this AM after repairs for a "sticking lifter" as the suspected culprit.

Too early to tell definitely but so far the truck has been tick free. I'll update next week once it's got some more miles on it.

Here's a blurb from the service ticket in case it helps anyone else:

"REF DOC ID 4067127 / TAC CASE 71-1478009075

PIP5259D/4138819 REFERENCE

LIFTERS MAKING A TAPPING NOISE.

PER SPECIAL BULLETIN #15-06-01-002. DOC ID #4213285.

AND TAC CASE, REMOVE CYLINDER HEADS, REPLACE ALL

LIFTERS, AND FILLED COOLING SYSTEM, AND ROAD TESTED."

Edited by TightLines612

• 2 weeks later...

Hummm... I have just under 3000 miles on my 5.3L V8. I've been wondering if the "ticking" was normal or not. I can hear it most easily when I pull up to a drive-though window at any Burger Stop - roll down the drivers window. At first I though it was the Fuel Injectors ticking... a sound I hear on 20+ year old cars. I'll follow this thread and report it to the Dealer when I go in for service.

Really don't expect to have any issues with a 5.3L SBC..

Other than that - the transmission shifting is really a disappointment.. especially the 1 - 2 shift.

In my personal experience - if Chevy built its reputation on anything - it was the strength of their engines and drive trains.