8 Speed - no oil level dipstick

From the OM:

Automatic Transmission Fluid (8 Speed Transmission)
When to Check and Change Automatic Transmission Fluid
It is usually not necessary to check the transmission fluid level. The only reason for fluid loss is a
transmission leak or overheated transmission. This vehicle is not equipped with a transmission fluid
level dipstick.
There is a special procedure for checking and changing the transmission fluid in these vehicles. Because this procedure is difficult, this should be done at the dealer. Contact the dealer for additional information or the procedure can be found in the service manual. See Service Publications Ordering Information on page 13-11.

• Like 1

The automatic transmission dipstick has been disappearing on a lot of vehicles for many years. I am not surprised it is just starting on the new Chevy Silverado. I know of some vehicles as of 2006 but it could have happen even later than that date. Just like the spare tire on some vehicles.

Edited by PMattras

My 2009 Cadillac CTS w/6-sp is same, no dipstick.

GM is trying to keep the aftermarket business for themselves and they make it difficult for owners to find aftermarket products and to service the vehicles.

Well one does service their tranny now. Drop pan and add a few quarts. Or you can do full exchange of fluid but really expensive. I did the pan and a few quarts at 30,000 and will again at 70-80,000.

If it is leaking you will know. If over heated you should know and be watching temps while towing. Otherwise tranny fluid is not going anywhere and will be in good condition. I do not buy the lifetime or 100,000 miles stuff and service the tranny.

Independent shops will have the ability to service the tranny.

Simple. You drive your truck till the warranty runs out, soon after it breaks , you buy a new one. Kinda like the tires that are made to last forever. You'll never see 'em. They gotta' keep us coming back. This "non serviceable" crap is just the beginning. Ever tried to find the engine in a Porshe Boxter?

I read that one of the Ferrari models sold in mid 80's (maybe it was Testarossa) required timing belt change every 15k miles. And to change the timing belt, the entire engine had to be pulled out of the vehicle becuase there was no other way to do it. How is that for DIY maintenance?

I read that one of the Ferrari models sold in mid 80's (maybe it was Testarossa) required timing belt change every 15k miles. And to change the timing belt, the entire engine had to be pulled out of the vehicle becuase there was no other way to do it. How is that for DIY maintenance?

Well, I'd call a Ferrari kind of an exotic car. Not a bread and butter car all of us drive.

Ok it doesn't mean that the Ferrari has to be a bitch to work on just because of that.

But if I was a farmer and had to rely on my equipment (like the truck who takes me to the field e.g.) and couldn't perform routine maintenance...I wouldn't like it.

Do I have to crawl under the truck to check for leaks every morning? It's easier to check with a stick IMO.

so long

j-ten-ner

Edited by j-ten-ner
  • Like 1

The Jeep and Challenger are this way, no transmission dipstick. So I bought the service dipstick, checked both when they were new and recorded the readings which corresponded to the chart I had. Some people have gotten around the problem by purchasing a long zip tie and using it as a service dipstick.

I don't like it but what are you going to do?