I've been giving some serious thought to purchasing a SBR. However, some people believe I'd be better served with the pistol variant. I want the SBR as a part of my trust, and I can get the stamp finally. The only downside to this rifle is that it's stuck in WA. I'm guessing I can't bring it into MT, let family check it out? I'll have to research more on that.

The pistol is something I can carry, transport from state to state. But then I miss out on getting my stamp.

I've found a couple DD SBR's that have been calling my name. No real reason to get one other then it's registered as an SBR, I own it, and I want one.

I guess I'm looking for thoughts on this.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd go SBR personally, get what you want the first time around. I went with a 14.5 perma welded build for my first AR and regretted the hell out of it recently when wanting to put KMR rails on it and turn to 3-gun. I have a MK12, a 16" KMR build, and will have an 11.5" SBR by this time next year. It takes roughly 4 weeks to get cleared to build an SBR lower right now, 6 to register an existing lower as an SBR lower. Go SBR.

Go with the SBR. Pistols are fun but can be difficult to control even with a stabilizing brace. You can set up a NFA firearms trust with a lawyer or do a search for snow online companies that form trusts for a fee. This is easier in the long run because you won't need the CLEO's signature in your form.

Awesome thread. I have a few questions about going SBR with a build that I have sitting in my basement.

First off, what is the process of building an SBR. I mean, I now about the tax stamp and the form 4 and all that, but do I register the lower that I am using as SBR? If so I assume that after that I can't pair it up with a 16" upper any longer. I have a Seekins Billet lower that is finished and is sitting under a crappy forged upper. I have a Seekins IMRT-R upper that is finished to the stage that it needs a barrel. I have been kicking around going with a 12" Seekins barrel in 300 Blackout and then suppressing the whole thing (on the fence about 300 Blackout and may chicken out and go with a 5.56 variant).

Secondly, I have an existing living trust (let's just call it the mortman living trust) to take care of financial things in the event that I cease to exist. Can I use this trust to purchase/register my NFA toys or is it advisable to create a separate NFA trust? I asked my lawyer and he said that I could probably register these items to my trust but he admitted that he had very little (read no) knowledge about NFA trusts as suppressors and SBRs are rather new to Michigan.

The lower is registered. Once an SBR, you can run any upper you want... as I understand it.

I was talking trust set up with the shop. It was recommended that you keep your SBR trust separate from everything else. This way if something goes wrong then none of your other possessions are linked in.

Pretty sure you can travel with Class III stuff provided the state allows them. You'll want to travel with the paperwork obviously.

You have to fill out a form and send it to the ATF to let them know that you are traveling with it and to what state. This is the reason i am building a AR pistol with a SIg arm brace.

• 4 weeks later...

Go with SBR and don't look back. Now the BATFE considers shouldering the Sig Arm Brace as constitution of an AOW.

I would recommend setting up a separate and completely separate trust for your NFA items. You don't want that mixed in with anything else for beneficiaries, etc.

Look up Dean Phillips - nfalawyers.com - great guy right here.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived