Purchased new 2015 with the 5.3, exactly how I wanted it except for flex fuel capability. Is there a way to run E85 with a tune or factory unlock? From what I have been reading it is just different tuning capabilities of the computer to adapt to it but correct me if I'm wrong. Or is the e85 not worth it? I like the increased performance and price difference between 87 or 91, even with the detrimental mileage results. Plus I like to support the industry, but that's a whole 'nother story! Thanks- Philbilly

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Purchased new 2015 with the 5.3, exactly how I wanted it except for flew fuel capability. Is there a way to run E85 with a tune or factory unlock? From what I have been reading it is just different tuning capabilities of the computer to adapt to it but correct me if I'm wrong. Or is the e85 not worth it? I like the increased performance and price difference between 87 or 91, even with the detrimental mileage results. Plus I like to support the industry, but that's a whole 'nother story! Thanks- Philbilly

E85 gives you 25HP, I lost 2MPG in town and three on the HWY. With KR on 87 gas and the resulting lost performance I run 93 gas when I cant get E85. In my area that's about 1$ per gallon. Even if was the same price I would still use E85, the performance is that noticeable. I just notice you cant run E85? News to me bummer.

Dead give away on a chevy is the yellow gas cap. But as far as I know its a tune and module, which if you dont have it can be found after markert, and possibly even from a dealer. E85 can give you up to 25hp but you also lose roughly around 25% in fuel economy. IMO if the price in your area makes E85 more than 25% cheaper than regular gas I would use it, but if its not more than 25% cheaper than E85 doesnt make sense to me.

Dead give away on a chevy is the yellow gas cap. But as far as I know its a tune and module, which if you dont have it can be found after markert, and possibly even from a dealer. E85 can give you up to 25hp but you also lose roughly around 25% in fuel economy. IMO if the price in your area makes E85 more than 25% cheaper than regular gas I would use it, but if its not more than 25% cheaper than E85 doesnt make sense to me.

No value for 25HP? LOL!

According to a techlink article on the 2014's, the flexfuel (e85) engines have a fuel sensor to determine the ethanol/gas blend.

Flexible Fuel Sensor

The flexible fuel sensor of the 4.3L V6 and 5.3L V8 measures the ethanol-gasoline ratio of the fuel being used in a flexible fuel (E85 capable) engine. Flexible fuel vehicles can be operated with a blend of ethanol and gasoline, up to 85 percent ethanol.

Since the flexible fuel sensor measures the actual percentage of ethanol in the fuel, it is no longer necessary to wait for an empty fuel tank in order to refill with E85. The flexible fuel sensor measures the two different fuel related parameters, and sends an electrical signal to the ECM to indicate ethanol percentage and fuel temperature.

The flexible fuel sensor uses quick-connect style fuel connections, an incoming fuel connection, and an outgoing fuel connection. All fuel passes through the flexible fuel sensor before continuing on to the fuel rail.

The 25 h.p. is max at high r.p.m. where we rarely drive. The real "value" of E-85 to me is that the trucks throttle response is a lot better, and the truck seems to have more power in all driving situations. It's a lot spunkier and more fun to drive. I'd run it even if were cost more than regular gas. I'd like to see a dyno chart for the 5.3 on gas, then on E-85, then the 6.2.

I ran E-85 for two tanks, was actually quite nice, ran even smoother and had a noticeable bit more power. Around Houston at the moment E-85 is costing about 20-30 cents MORE per gallon than regular, actually quite depressing. Maybe next year the prices will drop back to 30 cents a gallon under gas to make it more economical.

I ran E-85 for two tanks, was actually quite nice, ran even smoother and had a noticeable bit more power. Around Houston at the moment E-85 is costing about 20-30 cents MORE per gallon than regular, actually quite depressing. Maybe next year the prices will drop back to 30 cents a gallon under gas to make it more economical.

I don't run 87 gas because of the KR and I have a tune, so its cheaper for me. In Conroe on one end of town E85 is the same as 87, at stripes where I buy its 10cents cheaper than 87. The truck likes E85.

Is e85 just plain and simple better ?? I use 87 or should I just u 93 ?? I'm confused as to which is the best

In the year that Ive been following this forum, most tuners have said our trucks don't perform well on 87 gas, some use 89 gas. I was hesitant to use E85, at first. Now I only use it, the trucks performs very good on it.

Archived