It depends on who you talk to, Ive seen 12 sec trucks with just a tune and a little work. I have a 92 Chevy that will do 12s on 10 LBS OF boost. I can drive it daily with the AC on. On the other hand Ive had a stock V8 Camaro couldn't run the 1/4 mile as quick as my 14 GMC. In 1979 the dodge little red express truck was the fastest American made car or truck, including the 79 Corvette. Then there is Nascar camping world truck series.

Im guessing you have i had an 86 camaro and anything would beat stock.lol. the new camaro stock, no half ton is touching the V8

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im guessing you have i had an 86 camaro and anything would beat stock.lol. the new camaro stock, no half ton is touching the V8

Anything pretty much from the late 70s to the early 90s was slow stock. And if you really want to go fast safely a car is the way to go. I got such a good deal on my 92 truck I couldn't pass it up. But it is a hand full that's why it went one time down the track. Ill be back in a Camaro when I sell the 92.

$2.26 today

I lose about 15% economy.

Around here the E85 min is 70% by law

Ryan

15% less MPG is about the most I have lost when running E85. I did notice that the engine stays in V4 considerably longer. I think this helps offset the fact that E85 has less BTU's then gas but because of the higher octane, these motors can add more timing thus making more power. When running E85, my ScanGauge shows almost no KR and timing advance in V4 mode is probably 50-75% higher then when running gas.

Forgot to add that I filled up with E85 this Tuesday for $1.69 a gallon!

Dead give away on a chevy is the yellow gas cap. But as far as I know its a tune and module, which if you dont have it can be found after markert, and possibly even from a dealer. E85 can give you up to 25hp but you also lose roughly around 25% in fuel economy. IMO if the price in your area makes E85 more than 25% cheaper than regular gas I would use it, but if its not more than 25% cheaper than E85 doesnt make sense to me.

Just stating the facts. Everybodys experience may differ. But its even on the tag, you may lose 25% of MPG using E85. So thats something to think about. And were not couint pennies were talking dollars potentially. Around here E85 is 20-30cents cheaper than regular. Gas is 3 bucks. so you save less 10% on gas price but lose 25% in efficiency. And yeah I dont care its a half ton chevy with 360hp. If I want to run hot Ill run my camaro or something. Its a truck not a hot rod.

So the "facts" you state are from a tag you read. You state You "would run it but..." So you don't run it, but argue with guys who do run it. We have experienced better mileage than the "up to" you read on a tag. I think I will put more stock in what guys running E-85 have to say than what you read on a tag. I don't believe everything I read on tags anyway . Do you really believe that you are going to jail if you remove that tag an your mattress?

Saying it makes the truck snappier is about daily driving, passing on two lanes, entering freeway ramps and the like. It's not about racing some Camaro. I have a motorcycle to embarrass Camaros. It's about being more fun to drive as a nice comfortable pickup truck.

E85 does, in fact, contain about 25% less energy than regular gasoline. And I get about that much worse MPG. I have used it for years across two different trucks, and I don't notice much more pick-up, but as I said I'm going to do a test and really see.

E85 does, in fact, contain about 25% less energy than regular gasoline. And I get about that much worse MPG. I have used it for years across two different trucks, and I don't notice much more pick-up, but as I said I'm going to do a test and really see.

I believe it's only the 14 and up trucks that have the ability to use the extra power you can get out of E 85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried a tank.... extra power and worse MPG = yes. Longer start time when cold = yes

Really? My tuck has been in -20 degree weather last ur and it always fired right up

Ryan

So the "facts" you state are from a tag you read. You state You "would run it but..." So you don't run it, but argue with guys who do run it. We have experienced better mileage than the "up to" you read on a tag. I think I will put more stock in what guys running E-85 have to say than what you read on a tag. I don't believe everything I read on tags anyway . Do you really believe that you are going to jail if you remove that tag an your mattress?

Saying it makes the truck snappier is about daily driving, passing on two lanes, entering freeway ramps and the like. It's not about racing some Camaro. I have a motorcycle to embarrass Camaros. It's about being more fun to drive as a nice comfortable pickup truck.

Nobody I have found has said I get better MPG using E85. yes the Tag says 25% less, is that true for everybody probably not, some might do better some might do worse. And if you read one of my posts I did say some may experience different results. The tag also says 25hp, which if you read around and see dyno results nobody is getting 25hp, its closer to the 15 range. I beleive the tag that was written by engineers before some guy saying well a buddy of mine, or I get 50mpg on the DIC going down hill with a 50mph wind at my back. And yes all my mattress tags are laminated and afixed to each bed. Look at the tag anyways says its illegal for anybody EXCEPT the consumer to remove the tag

I told you I would run it, but the equation from performance to cost of the fuel, doesnt not work for me. Again I could care less that my 1/2 ton mass produced chevy is a little snappier or might get 25hp more hp going to work, I dont care i really dont nor will I ever, and I really dont care if Im going to lose money doing it. Now if it was the same price or cheaper to run per mile, I would do it.

The OP wanted an opinion. The opinion is E85 will net you worse MPG, as I said earlier as well yourself results may vary. I also said if you think up to 25hp is important, than go for it.

All i was doing was giving the OP the whole picture. Sort of narrow minded to say yeah yeah yeah run it 25hp, who cares about mpg. To top that off think about what E10 is doing to engines, I do genuinely have a concern that E85 might be bad in the long run, but for me thats not a real factor as this truck will be put out to pasteur in 2 years.

Nobody I have found has said I get better MPG using E85. yes the Tag says 25% less, is that true for everybody probably not some might do better some might do worse. And if your read one of my post I did some may experience different results. The tag also says 25hp, which if you read around and see dyno results nobody is getting 25hp, its closer to the 15 range. I beleive the tag that was written by engineers before some guy saying well a buddy of mine, or I get 50mpg on the DIC going down hill with a 50mph wind at my bank. And yes all my mattress tags are laminated and afixed to each bed. Look at the tag anyways says its illegal for anybody EXCEPT the consumer to remove the tag

I told you I would run it, but the equation from performance to cost of the fuel, doesnt not work for me. Again I could care less that my 1/2 ton mass produced chevy is a little snappier or might get 25hp more hp going to work, I dont care i really dont nor will I ever, and I really dont care if Im going to lose money doing it. Now if it was the same price or cheaper to run per mile, I would do it.

The OP wanted an opinion. The opinion is E85 will net you worse MPG, as I said earlier as well yourself results may vary. I also said if you think up to 25hp is important, than go for it.

All i was doing was giving the OP the whole picture. Sort of narrow minded to say yeah yeah yeah run it 25hp, who cares about mpg. To top that off think about what E10 is doing to engines, I do genuinely concer that E85 might be bad in the long run, but for me thats not a real factor as this truck will be put out to pasteur in 2 years.

No doubt less on E85, I went from a high of 18 on 93 gas to a low of 13 with warm ups on e85, no warm ups almost 15 with a very light foot (rare for me). I cant bring myself to run 87, cant now with a tune. Two years is about right for me, for the reasons you posted in the past.

Archived